General Chat 14/15

Yes. With 7 in South and 8 in South A, that makes a grand total of 36 teams playing two day cricket in the South, outside Senior Division.

In the good old days South B was another 1st XI grade. I have wondered about South C2 myself - perhaps it is reserved for a two-day competition for 3rd and 4th XIs.

Yes. With 7 in South and 8 in South A, that makes a grand total of 36 teams playing two day cricket in the South, outside Senior Division.

Yep - that restructure we voted on seems to have the desired effect. I'm tipping it will be less next year, even before CV get their hands on things

Glad as a committee we decided to promote through our juniors etc although we have injuries, others going overseas and school cricket. Would have been embarrassing getting a grade cricketer or imports and playing in a 7 team comp with 2 byes. 1 bye being over two weeks. Hopefully no rain this year could play only 10 games this year.

In the good old days South B was another 1st XI grade. I have wondered about South C2 myself - perhaps it is reserved for a two-day competition for 3rd and 4th XIs.
C3 has 15 teams. 3 clubs have two teams
C1 has 6 teams

I know one is a two day comp and the other is a one day comp but does this make sense to anybody

C3 has 15 teams. 3 clubs have two teams
C1 has 6 teams

I know one is a two day comp and the other is a one day comp but does this make sense to anybody
2 oneday grades probably would have made more sense.. There's a few other mistakes aswell I'm sure ul find them! I've lost all faith in this comp what a joke

Week 1 should be off surely with that downpour pitches won't come up
Season schedule should be 2nd Saturday of October and save all the fuss
Dry and sunny rest of the week I would've been watering my wicket thisevening anyway...Email sent to City of Glen Eira clubs that wickets are expected to be ready to go Saturday..

2 oneday grades probably would have made more sense.. There's a few other mistakes aswell I'm sure ul find them! I've lost all faith in this comp what a joke

If you have lost faith in this comp and think its a joke, there are a lot of other comps and clubs out there you could go and play for!! Or you could join the committee and have your voice heard!

Either way, enough of the banging on about what's wrong and start talking about the actual cricket we'll be playing in the next week or two. Should be some cracking games coming up.

Spot on. Not much the VT can do given how many clubs are stuffing around with changes.
Senior Div looks interesting as always. Strathmore head the off season recruiting with some Premier cricketers, Peter-Budge should make plenty and Slevison is a decent player, if Sanders is playing again they should be aiming for top 4.
Bentleigh recruited well with Alex Roberts from DDCA but is he allowed to play? Was suspended from his old club so not sure if that suspension holds. Todd was the recruit of the summer and he'll be looking for 500+ for Bentleigh to play finals.
Would be a brave man to back against Yarraville even if they don't have as many ins. How long until O'Keefe gets the pads on again?
Any news from Hoppers after losing Daisy and Asif Jan?
Hampton and McKinnon go up and will be competitive, McKinnon have outbid Spotty for Ed Young's signature, he made good runs last season in North Div so will be a good acquisition. What about Tullamarine?
Beauy have signed the infamous Romain Grenville who has been kicked out of a couple of clubs now, how long will they tolerate him for?
South Caulfield are favourites after retaining the 2 Sri Lankans and getting Ash Russell back from CMCA.
Bring on Round 1.

Unfortunately no play this weekend, but there will be a couple of close 1-dayers I would think!
Sth Caulfield vs Yarraville always promises to be a great game. I agree with you North, never right off Yarraville, but Sth Caulfield look strong!

Hardly the VTCA's fault if a team that was promoted, knew it was going to be promoted from March last season, comes to them in September and asks to play their First XI against other teams Thirds and Fourths?
I don't post often but I just wanted to correct the misinformation in the quote above. The Highett cricket club requested not to go up a division for reasons involving the 2nd 11 and the lack of being competitive last season. This request was sent through well and truly before September and the club never requested to play other teams 3rd and 4th 11's, the club was informed that playing in south c1 would be the only option as there was no spot available in South A So the league facilitated this change to help the Highett cricket club retain its members, which was looking increasingly dire with the second 11 in south division after loosing 5 games outright in south A last season.

Last edited:
I don't post often but I just wanted to correct the misinformation in the quote above. The Highett cricket club requested not to go up a division for reasons involving the 2nd 11 and the lack of being competitive last season. This request was sent through well and truly before September and the club never requested to play other teams 3rd and 4th 11's, the club was informed that playing in south c1 would be the only option as there was no spot available in South B So the league facilitated this change to help the Highett cricket club retain its members, which was looking increasingly dire with the second 11 in south division after loosing 5 games outright in south b last season.
That was my understanding of the situation too. The VTCA seemed quite happy to promote McKinnon into Senior Division, despite being beaten in the semi-final, however did they ever consider contacting the two clubs relegated from South to see whether they wished to play in the higher grade? That would have removed the bye in South, and created a spot in South A for Highett.

Wish vtca would update the clearances so then we can all see who has moved where!!! Not like the vtca to be this slack. 25th September is the latest update I have

The covers use will be interesting, who voted for that. Hard enough to get people to help and now it will be a nightmare

The covers use will be interesting, who voted for that. Hard enough to get people to help and now it will be a nightmare

Laying and removing covers pre-match is standard in Premier cricket and ultimately you will get more playing days/time under these rules, not such a bad thing. Players use pitches and you need to get your playing group to take responsibility like Premier players do. If you don't already have it, get Team App for all your players etc and reminders can be sent free to anyone with a smartphone. Send out a reminder on Friday arvo and Sat morning, before to long it becomes the norm.

Back