Getting a Bat

MrSmilez

Getting a Bat

Hey all, first post for me on the forums. Getting straight to the point, I'm getting a new bat. Not sure what to get though. I'm interested in the GM Range including the ICON and FLARE series and also the Gray-Nicolls Powerbow range. Don't have a million dollars to spend only around the 300 au mark. I bat as a middle-lower order batsman.

This Flare located here: Cricket - Bats - Premium Brands - Gunn and Moore (Senior) - Gunn and Moore Flare DXM 606 Cricket Bat - Kingsgrove Sports Centre - Cricket Store Looks pretty nice, but looks like a Grade 3 Willow (Correct me if im wrong) Will that still be good? As in will it have a good middle and will it last me for 2 years so to speak? I was also wondering if i can get a ICON 808 for around the same price benchmark.

Im also interested in this: Cricket - Bats - Premium Brands - Gray Nicolls (Senior) - Gray Nicolls Powerbow King Cricket Bat - Kingsgrove Sports Centre - Cricket Store Looks nice also, same questions are asked previously.

Also this will be my first bat that i will own and i hope it will be a good one!

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers.

Re: Getting a Bat

If you can stretch to it, go for a grade 2 or even 1 bat. Though the grading is mostly down on comestics, in theory the bat will play better. However, saying that you do get cracking grade 3 bats - you just need to take the time to try them out in person (if possible).

All the bats you list should last you for 2 or 3 seasons, providing they are looked after. Of course, willow being natural means there is always a chance that a bat will break but generally most last for a few years. Of course, if you using it every day then it will go sooner but for normal club use, you'll get a few seasons out of it.

As for the middle - it should be ok. Again, with willow being natural there is always a bit of hit and miss but most bats are fine. The best way is to get out there and try the bat out yourself, tap a ball up on it (if allowed) and see how they play.

That is the million dollar question! To be honest I would go with the Gray Nicholls but that is simply because I'm a big fan of their stuff.

Pretty much so but it's also about the sound as well. However, don't get too hung up on it, most bats are going to perform in a similar way.

Generally, you'll be looking for the following:

An average of 8 grains
Grains are straight and evenly spaced
The face of the bat looks clean, without too many knots, specks etc (although you will always have some, especially on lower grade willow)
Bat is well finished - smooth edges, stickers clean and well printed etc
Some people have a preference for dark wood on the outside edge

From there, the main thing is that the bat feels right. Pick a few up, get into your stance, play a few 'air' shots - some bats will feel better than others.

Ended up getting a Gray Nicolls Predator Max King from last season. Grains looked great, around 5-7 grains. Thought it was a great buy myself since it was reduced to 300 from 400. I'd love to put up pictures of it if i knew how. Also need help with the knocking in, the sales person said it was already knocked in and it's got a sleeve on it so will i still be able to knock it in and for how long and concentrating on which areas?

Video says i need linseed oil to oil the face of the bat but the face has a protective sheet already..will it make a difference in preperation?

Edit: Also since the protective sleeve is already on i've already started knocking in at that area and weird crease marks are appearing (nothing bad im sure) but just wanted to ask are you suppost to knock it in before the sleeve is on the bat or will it not matter?

Also the video suggests knocking in the edges and bottom 6 inches of the bat. But the time spent on each area is not mentioned so if anyone can help that would be great.

Ignore the oiling bit, although you could put a bit on the back of the bat, where the wood is exposed. Take care to avoide the splice area though (bit where the handle is inserted into the blade).

All the face does is offer up more protection - the bat still needs the same type of preparation, save for the oiling part. The knocking in bit will be exactly the same as shown in the video.

On the bottom of the bat are these wierd blemishes or knots, about three of them. Whenever i bang my mallet against it, it makes a wierd noise different to the noises made elsewhere on the bat for example. I was just wondering if this is normal and will it affect the performance of the bat.

MrSmilez;409098 said:
On the bottom of the bat are these wierd blemishes or knots, about three of them. Whenever i bang my mallet against it, it makes a wierd noise different to the noises made elsewhere on the bat for example. I was just wondering if this is normal and will it affect the performance of the bat.

It's just a bit of harder wood. It will sound different as the wood is slightly denser. In theory it will affect the performance as there is less 'spring' in that type of wood but you're not going to notice it. The effect will be minimal to be honest - all bats have good and less good patches.

Looking at the photos, you have a nice enough piece of wood there. Treat it well and it should play well.

How will i know when it will be ready for match use? I've been knocking it in for a while now. I'd say around 2 hours. I've heard of a method where you get a ball in a sock and smack it across the bat or something..not sure though. If i went to the nets right now would i be able to say smack a few fours with it?

Back