Getting side on when playing back foot.

Jonesy

Getting side on when playing back foot.

Hey.

When playing on the back foot, close to my body (e.g. back foot defense, drive) my feet open out on kind a 45 degree angle to the crease, so I am basically front on the the bowler. It's fine when playing a cut shot, and I think that's because I have to step across to get to it.

What would be the best way to correcting this, just muscle memory, doing it over and over again?

Re: Getting side on when playing back foot.

Take it back to the basic. Get the correct technique and then practice without any pressure (ball being fed etc). Then work it up to a throw then normal bowling.

Yeah thanks for that.

Also, at training today I faced a 2nds bowler, and he came out slower than he looked, and I just could not hit it. Any tips on facing that because I really struggled.

Patience lol. It's a tough one but it goes back to practice and being able to suss where the ball is going and at what pace. The more you face a range of bowling, the better you'll be able to pick the differences.

If it's something you're having major trouble with, have a chat with the bowler and I'm sure he'll be happy to bowl at you for a bit.

If you struggle to the slower 2nds bowler maybe there's too much bottom hand. Even though most back foot shots are bottom hand shots, this is a defensive straight shot and top hand should dominate. Just wait a bit on the ball and then play it and make sure you get the line right, if its too wide just leave it

If these don't work Jonesy perhaps talk to a coach or mentor about the problem and try to find a new stance while getting some throw downs and see if you can find one that fixes your problem.

Otherwise if it is short and not offering a back shot you can play that is tehcnically correct leave it.

Back