Giles named spin coach for England juniors

rob84

Giles named spin coach for England juniors

i found this on cricinfo

Ashley Giles, the former England left-arm spinner, will join the England Performance Programme (EPP) squad in India as the team's official spin coach.

"I'm really looking forward to the opportunity of working with the players involved in the EPP," Giles said. "It's exciting to be so hands-on in a coaching role, particularly with my new position as director of cricket at Warwickshire.

"It'll be great to get back involved in the England set-up after being forced out early through injury and being around an England dressing room again in India will be a fantastic experience."

Martyn Moxon, the director of cricket at Yorkshire, takes on the role of batting coach for the four-week high performance camp, which encompasses two weeks of intensive training at Mohali, followed by two weeks at the MRF Academy in Chennai.

is this a joke or something? he could hardly spin the ball a millimeter whats he going to teach them? couldn't they find a better coach ::)

Re: Giles named spin coach for England juniors

Sigh, since when did you have to be a great player to be a great coach?

Giles is a vastly experience player who has learnt a lot of the years. Sure, he may not have spun it as much as a Warne but that won't make him any less effective as a coach.

He is only doing the post on a short term basis as the usual coach is working with the 'A' team (or Lions?) on another tour.

yeah coaches arent great players but does he have any coaching experience? what has giles learnt from international cricket? negative bowling? im sure they could easily find a better coach then him but maybe it would be more expensive.

You can't base your opinion on what he was like as a player. He has experience at the highest level and I'm sure he has his coaching awards.

It's what he can get out of players that counts.

Totally agree with David and AA.
Some of the best coaches have been lesser known cricketers.
For ex: Ex-coach of Australia- John.B.

A lot of coaches are not accomplished cricketers. A different set of skills are required to be a successful as a coach. So I don't see any problem with Ashley Giles being given the opportunity to coach.

Back