Good Cricket Reads (Books not the keeper)

Re: Good Cricket Reads (Books not the keeper)

jimmy33 said:
i loved that book, but the fact that he is so damned modest that really bugs me :p
That is how each and every other individuals are.
Not all the people are of the same attitude or style.
Also writing always reflects their persona :)

well back in his day most aussies were that modest. shame that isnt the case anymore
good read never-the-less, finished it in about a week, couldnt take my eyes off it :laugh:

I was thinking of buying something to read. I think I must buy a copy of Steve Waughs book since you guys are saying that its very good.

I have a copy of the More than a Game book by John Major, which I'm hoping will be interesting, although I still can't shake the image of a grey John Major puppet(spitting image fans will understand) and the book isn't in that vain.

Have also got a few others but as I have pretty much missed xmas due to some petty nasty flu, I still haven't had any xmas presents and won't see any until New Years day at the earliest. :cry

Almost_Austwick said:
...I have pretty much missed xmas due to some petty nasty flu...

Nasty! Sorry to hear this and hope your recovery will be speedy.

JM, though a great statesman, was wasted as PM and it is unfortunate that we will always remember him as satire dictates. However, beyond the 'greyness' was a very interesting mind; I hope the book lives up to it! Do let us know how you found it when you get a chance to read it.

On and Off the Field - Ed Smith
Four More Weeks - Mark Ramprakash
Penguins Stopped Play - Harry Thompson
Playing with Fire - Nasser Hussain

jimmy33 said:
i loved that book, but the fact that he is so damned modest that really bugs me :p

I know, I was surprised to see the other side of him to the one I saw on the field!

jimmy33 said:
An interesting read is Cricket-The making of champions by Greg Chappell. its a interesting way of thinking he has about cricket, worth a look in to

Re: Cricket-The making of champions by Greg Chappell - I've read that one too, I found that it was a bit thin on the bowling content though. It does look at coaching cricket from a different perspective though which is refreshing. His training regime is quite interesting and has Lillee's training program in there as well. I've started to implement a few things in my own batting from the book eg. my grip and balance.

For the bowling side I would go for Ian Pont's "Fast Bowler's Bible"

Symonds' book is great, not so much on the cricket skills side but all the interesting stories of how he got so far and what you get up to in country Queensland.

I got 'Rain Men' today after reading through someblokecalleddave's blog and being told rain men is written in similar style. Ive read up to the end of the chapter and its class. Its written the way we all think. Cracking read :).

Timed Out said:
I got 'Rain Men' today after reading through someblokecalleddave's blog and being told rain men is written in similar style. Ive read up to the end of the chapter and its class. Its written the way we all think. Cracking read :).

I think I meant that they share a certain vibe, showing how cricket can really grip you.

It's a good book but I'd also recommend '[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penguins-Stopped-Play-Village-Cricketers/dp/0719563461/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1200419713&sr=8-1]Penguins Stop Play[/ame]'. Another great book and gives you the other side to the Rain Men story.

Almost_Austwick said:
I have a copy of the More than a Game book by John Major, which I'm hoping will be interesting, although I still can't shake the image of a grey John Major puppet(spitting image fans will understand) and the book isn't in that vain.

Any review on this book to offer?

I haven't got round to reading it yet, got caught up with reading a book on quantum physics (my new pet subject) which then meant I had to go out and buy more on the topic. Will hopefully get round to it before the end of the month though.

Beyond a boundry by CLR James is far and away the best book written about cricket, but some of you younger guys might not find it too interesting because its talking about players from quite a while ago. but i couldn't recomend it highly enough.
The Vincibles by Gideon Haigh is a great book, something i think most club cricketers coud relate to
I liked Steve Waughs book, its a pretty heavy thing but offers great insight to the mind of a true champion
Mike Husseys book is supprisingly good

The fast bowlers bible by ian ponts a decent read if you don't have a computer near by. Not practical though he expects it to be read whilst netting and tbh i'd rather just bowl... b more use 2 read that tho then attempting to bat :embarrassed: i have a rabbit sticker on my bat...i make tufnell look like an opener :p

I know this thread is dead, but I really recommend The Inner Game of Tennis by W. Timothy Galleway. It's mainly for tennis players but it is on the mental side and can be easily adjusted to other sports. Has some good tips for coaches and stuff.

Back