Graeme Smith tips England for ashes

Re: Graeme Smith: "England will regain ashes"

Sorry Smith, too early to say because despite both teams being total shambles at the moment, Australia still has a slight advantage over England.

I think it will be a good series and it will be close.

But I remember reading this story I would like a quote and source to say when he actually said England would win.

Jan 8 ; England cricket might be going through one of its toughest times, but South African captain Graeme Smith has tipped them to win the Ashes series against Australia this year.

Smith, who led South Africa to its first ever series win in Australia in the just concluded three-Test series, said England would be helped by the home advantage and the hosts will have a great opportunity to regain the Ashes which they last won in 2005.

''I guess England playing at home probably gives them an advantage, I would think,'' Smith said.

roxy09;309296 said:
Jan 8 ; England cricket might be going through one of its toughest times, but South African captain Graeme Smith has tipped them to win the Ashes series against Australia this year.

Smith, who led South Africa to its first ever series win in Australia in the just concluded three-Test series, said England would be helped by the home advantage and the hosts will have a great opportunity to regain the Ashes which they last won in 2005.

''I guess England playing at home probably gives them an advantage, I would think,'' Smith said.

All he said was Engalnd would have an advantage at home.

He didn't say England will regain the ashes as the title suggests.

"England cricket might be going through one of its toughest times, but South African captain Graeme Smith has tipped them to win the Ashes series against Australia this year. "

Doesn't that obvuisly mean that Graeme Smith's saying England will regain ashes ??

roxy09;309335 said:
"England cricket might be going through one of its toughest times, but South African captain Graeme Smith has tipped them to win the Ashes series against Australia this year. "

Doesn't that obvuisly mean that Graeme Smith's saying England will regain ashes ??

No Because it is a paper using a technique called "sensationalism" which is when things are exaggerated.

Unless they have a quote saying "England will win" or something along the lines then he actually never said that England would win all he said was they had the advantage because of playing at home which is correct.

So the media have obviously twisted his words.

grapedo;309355 said:
No Because it is a paper using a technique called "sensationalism" which is when things are exaggerated.

Unless they have a quote saying "England will win" or something along the lines then he actually never said that England would win all he said was they had the advantage because of playing at home which is correct.

So the media have obviously twisted his words.

agree totally

all smith says is that playing at home gives the poms the advantage. He says nothing else.

solar;310632 said:
agree totally

all smith says is that playing at home gives the poms the advantage. He says nothing else.

Exactly the papers do it to everyone because they hope you will read the heading the first paragraph and that is it you never know the whole story unless you read the quotes and see what the person actually said as they are about the only truth in most articles as if they lie in quotation they will get their backsides sued.

Anyhow the title on this thread is unfair on Smith and I think it should be changed.

Yeah, its just a trick used by the media to attract more eyeballs. Thread title changed for misquoting Smith.

Re: Graeme Smith tips England for ashes

The title is still false as all he said was England would have the advantage he didn't say they would win the series he didn't tip an England win at all.

Back