Greg Chappell accuses Indian board of cover-up

Mike111

Greg Chappell accuses Indian board of cover-up

Greg Chappell believes he was the victim of a racist attack during his difficult two-year tenure as India's coach, and in an ABC documentary to be screened next week, hits out at the Indian authorities who he feels attempted to play down a serious breach of security at Bhubaneswar Airport, in the eastern state of Orissa.

The team had just arrived to play a one-day international against West Indies in January this year when a fan burst out of the crowd and threw a punch at Chappell. "I got hit on the side of the head and my immediate reaction was 'he's broken my jaw'," Chappell told the documentary team.
full story at http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/319671.html

i hate the bcci what the hell is wrong with them. they should have apologized to greg instead of ignoring the incident completely just like they did with the symonds issue. he could have been seriously hurt.

Re: Greg Chappell accuses Indian board of cover-up

that is rubbish......how is it racist only an excuse by chappel....he was a really bad coach im happy that we got rid of him....now india is doing so well even without a coach. :laugh:

BCCI could have said sorry but Chappell is exaggerating the issue and there was no racism.

Rohitpatel said:
BCCI could have said sorry but Chappell is exaggerating the issue and there was no racism.
bcci is very foolish so you ecxpect they will say sorry.....but no one likes chappell in india becuase he made the team lose.......he should not make such stupid comments

i think he could have been targetted by those people because he wasnt indian and they didnt like him. not sure that if its got anythign to do with racism.

he could have been a suicide bomber or had a gun with him. the lapse in security is pathetic and those guys should be fired.

To me Greg Chappell was good as a coach;Yes he didn't had coaching experience at international level like Dave Watmore but he had tremendous cricketing experience and knowledge as well.
He try to do his part like grooming the youngsters and not bowing to star cricketers.Example: Out-form Ganguly was made to give-up his captaincy and his place into side as well.The board has suppported him at that time.He worked hard and made a came back into the team but that is another story.
He had a vision of taking Indian cricket to a much higher level.
He did what a professional person does; he showed us the mirror image of Indian cricket and the style of functioning.We are still revolving around a few players and not entirely on teamwork;one of the reasons of not doing well overseas.
I have read the posts of my fellow Indians and would truly endorse them;but ethically the BCCI is having loads of money (One of the richest Cricketing Board); but the style of functioning is pathetic.
Media also plays its apart in making and breaking a person.When team was wining;then all was OK; but a few losses then Chappell's experimentation was bothering and round the clock we would get cricket show host and few experts discussing and judging his caliber.Ultimately; the the team's lose in World cup was the final nail( i would still blame the Team and no the Coach).
About the attack by a crazy fan; Chappell can rightfully judge for himself; we all can only make our own statements. :)

Mike111 said:
he could have been a suicide bomber or had a gun with him. the lapse in security is pathetic and those guys should be fired.
You are over reacting. I think the fan was arrested but I am ashamed if BCCI tried to cover the issue because thats very wrong. I think Chappell said later that he made comments becuse he was very emotional and there was no racism.

I agree with you Virender that the coach should not get full blame because whole team performed badly.

Back