Ground Allocation Discussion

I am intrigued as to why you chirp up every season around this time, about this topic. You post on and off through out the year, but the minute the ground allocation gets handed out, then you're up on your soap box like theres no tomorrow. Why do you have such an issue that Eltham gets the Grand Final?

You do realise that the grounds are rated using a number of factors, and not just the grass covering? Which, i think you will find that Eltham is actually in pretty good nick.
Opinions Tongs, isn't that what this forum is for?
Eltham being handed a home GF when finishing 4th is beyond me.

Opinions Tongs, isn't that what this forum is for?
Eltham being handed a home GF when finishing 4th is beyond me.

I'm not saying you're not entitled to have your opinion, you just seem to really have a bee in your bonnet about this topic every year. You did last year too, and Eltham weren't even in the finals. Is it because your ground is not rated in the top 2?

Eltham were "handed" one of the premier games, due to having one of the premier grounds. I think you would struggle to find anyone that has played in the last few Grand Finals that would have any issue with Eltham as the Grand Final venue.

Home ground advantage is a myth anyway.
More than half the senior grand finalists finished 3rd or 4th, and therefore beat the mythical "home ground advantage" in the semis.
Obviously, there is an "away ground advantage" factor.

Long time reader - long time since posted.....

I would imagine there are only two ways to stop any debate over any perceived bias when allocationg venues

1. Announce the venues before the final series begin, or even before round 11.

2. Highest rank teams gets the grand final (in all grades) and all the spoils that go with it - ie: canteen and bar.

As Tongs has suggested in an earlier post, both Eltham and Lower Eltham which are the 2 top ranked grounds (haven't seen Eltham this season but Lower was in great nick the game before xmas) have a team in a GF, most clubs rely on volunteers who love their club and it makes no sense to have either club host a Grand Final that they are not involved in and deny members the opportunity to watch their own boys in the only game that really counts.

I'd be in favour of option 2.

Last edited:
Welcome Back, Bundoora. Hopefully you're back on here permanently.

I have issues with both points. for example:

1. If you announce them before the finals, ie Eltham will host Barclay Shield, and Lower Eltham will host Money Shield, you then get to the point that we are in now. Having Eltham host LECC v DC and 2km down the road having Lower Eltham hosting Elth v BU, is sheer stupidity. Neither club could put in the man hours that both games and the DVCA adequately deserve. So what do you then do, give it to 3rd and 4th best grounds, and have the two best feature grounds not used? That doesn't make any sense.

2. I also disagree with this point purely because there are grounds that are either: in absolute rubbish condition. Or as discussed on here before about some clubs, their facilities are not up to standard of A grade, let alone a massive Grand Final like a BS or MS.

1. If you announce them before the finals, ie Eltham will host Barclay Shield, and Lower Eltham will host Money Shield, you then get to the point that we are in now. Having Eltham host LECC v DC and 2km down the road having Lower Eltham hosting Elth v BU, is sheer stupidity. Neither club could put in the man hours that both games and the DVCA adequately deserve. So what do you then do, give it to 3rd and 4th best grounds, and have the two best feature grounds not used? That doesn't make any sense.

2. I also disagree with this point purely because there are grounds that are either: in absolute rubbish condition. Or as discussed on here before about some clubs, their facilities are not up to standard of A grade, let alone a massive Grand Final like a BS or MS.

On point 1 - Nominate the best barclay shield ground to host the BARCLAY final and nominate the best money shield ground to host the MONEY shield final. Problem solved

On point 2 - Hosting finals may actually give clubs the opportunity to raise funds that will enable them to improve their facilities. Got to start somehwere....

On point 1 - Nominate the best barclay shield ground to host the BARCLAY final and nominate the best money shield ground to host the MONEY shield final. Problem solved

On point 2 - Hosting finals may actually give clubs the opportunity to raise funds that will enable them to improve their facilities. Got to start somehwere....

Point 1 - What if the top 2 (or 3) grounds in the comp are both in BARCLAY shield? You wouldn't want to waste the second best ground in the comp. But lets use your suggestion. Eltham would still have the MS grand final this year, and we are in the exact same boat as where we are now!

Point 2 - This is not a fundraising event. Its hosting the best of the best in a Grand Final.

Imo, Eltham's ground is probably the best ground in the DVCA to host a Grand final. Its somewhat central for the Diamond Valley, is a good sized ground, has a lot of good viewing areas, the scoreboard and the club caters for the match well.

But it isn't as if there aren't a number of grounds around the DV that aren't suitable and capable of hosting a GF. My personal opinion is its better to avoid a situation where the side that finished top of the ladder has to play an away Grand final to the side who finishes 2nd. Use another ground.

Point 1 - What if the top 2 (or 3) grounds in the comp are both in BARCLAY shield? You wouldn't want to waste the second best ground in the comp. But lets use your suggestion. Eltham would still have the MS grand final this year, and we are in the exact same boat as where we are now!

Point 2 - This is not a fundraising event. Its hosting the best of the best in a Grand Final.

I have no issue with Eltham hosting the GF, i think common sense has prevailed using the criteria they have set in place for season 13/14. I also don't believe there is much difference between 8-10 grounds in terms of there capabilities to host Grand Finals. It's a subjective observation by a few people and i think we are pretty lucky with the quality of grounds we have at our disposal.

It is a fundraising event for the host club, no matter which club it is. I am not saying they do not do a great job or work really hard for the money, but it is a revenue raiser (and yes, it's not helped by clubs/individauls who bring there own grog rather than support host club). Clubs get little or no reward (apart from the obvious) for making the game everyone wants to play in. I'd be comfortable to allow them to improve them bottom line as reward for having such a good seasn, no matter what club or condition of the ground.

Enough BIGCRICKET for me this year anyway, it's Footy season now. Good luck to all those lucky enough to be still playing, especially our combined BU/UB u/12s......

That's just petty, especially coming from someone from Plenty. How many times did your boys use the away rooms in your glory days? And give it a spell, you lost the Grand Final because your ground turned to rubbish. But regardless, I know our boys couldn't care less if they had to use the carpark as their changerooms, we are just focussed on one thing. Which I am sure Bundoora United are too.
Back then I think you'd find we never had to use the away rooms because we were always on top. And if you go back through the history books I think you'd find many clubs have had to host grand finals at there club even when they had sides competing at other venues.

Whatever way you spin it tongs this decision by the DVCA stinks. The DVCA keep shooting themselves in the foot, how hard would it have been to state before the finals that they were considering this scenario??

No real advantage for these teams other than having home ground support. The Home team's in these finals would normally be playing at their club's second oval. (ie Rosanna's G Grade doesn't play at DeWinton)

E grade at Montmorency who were lowest placed semi winner - Play elsewhere each week (I Believe)
F grade at Lower Plenty who were highest placed semi winner - Play elsewhere each week
G grade at Rosanna who were highest placed semi winner - Play elsewhere each week
H grade at Macleod who were lowest placed winner - Play elsewhere each week

Under and Out

Back then I think you'd find we never had to use the away rooms because we were always on top. And if you go back through the history books I think you'd find many clubs have had to host grand finals at there club even when they had sides competing at other venues.

Whatever way you spin it tongs this decision by the DVCA stinks. The DVCA keep shooting themselves in the foot, how hard would it have been to state before the finals that they were considering this scenario??
Not sure how DVCA decision stinks when the clubs voted for this at the start of the season, home finals to C grade and below and 3 main games on top 3 ranked grounds. People are always complaining that DVCA just ignore clubs and do there own thing, when here we have a case of them doing what was voted on. Not Eltham or Lower Elthams fault or DVCA that they happen to reach GF's.

The DVCA are making sure that their two showpiece games are going to be great spectacle for all those interested in going to watch, as well as being on a ground in good even conditions.

The bottom line is, the best two games of the season are being played at the best two venues.

The DVCA are making sure that their two showpiece games are going to be great spectacle for all those interested in going to watch, as well as being on a ground in good even conditions.

The bottom line is, the best two games of the season are being played at the best two venues.
Have no problem with both games being played at the 2 best grounds, the problem is both Lower Eltham and Eltham should not get a home grand final when they are the lower ranked sides. If both clubs can't organise people to run their respective bars and canteens in shifts so everyone can get a look at their own boys in the big one or what not then it's their own problem.

Now that we've sorted all that out. The Barclay GF will be broadcast live from Lower Eltham on Saturday on 88.6PVFM from 1pm. At this stage I think we'll be in a tent on the fence somewhere. Not quite the set up at Eltham but looking forward to it anyway. Perhaps Tongs can update us from Eltham on how things are tracking there on Saturday.

Now that we've sorted all that out. The Barclay GF will be broadcast live from Lower Eltham on Saturday on 88.6PVFM from 1pm. At this stage I think we'll be in a tent on the fence somewhere. Not quite the set up at Eltham but looking forward to it anyway. Perhaps Tongs can update us from Eltham on how things are tracking there on Saturday.

Most would say I have the perfect head for radio. You keep teasing me about making my long awaited debut, actually i was on there once ago a few years ago. But no worries, I am happy to keep you boys posted on the goings on at Panther Place.

Last edited:
How's Banyule's junior program going. Remember a few yrs ago they were raving on how good their junior program was and it would keep them in a good position. There 1s showed that this season. Also what happened to there other young guys who have gone backwards and taken the easy way out when the heat was on and play in the lower grades. They had the balls to take potshots couple yrs ago. Now you can hear the ants down there its that quiet.
Only a few senior blokes keeping that senior club alive not the junior program.

How's Banyule's junior program going. Remember a few yrs ago they were raving on how good their junior program was and it would keep them in a good position. There 1s showed that this season. Also what happened to there other young guys who have gone backwards and taken the easy way out when the heat was on and play in the lower grades. They had the balls to take potshots couple yrs ago. Now you can hear the ants down there its that quiet.

If you read the title of the thread, it is about the ground allocations. If you'd like to post, please keep it on discussion and refrain from your trolls on here, and any other DVCA thread.

5 out of 5 junior teams in finals, with 3 teams in Grand Finals. Can any other clubs beat that?
5 out of 7 senior teams in finals, with 2 teams in Grand Finals. Not too bad.

Taking awhile to adjust to a stronger comp.

Back