gym exercises for leg spin bowling?

Re: gym exercises for leg spin bowling?

Liz Ward;408125 said:
Just checked my local gym and they offer 3 PT sessions included in the fee and at the moment, they are offering the first month free.

Which one?!

SteveyD;408170 said:
Would I be correct in assuming you went to somethign like DW Jim?

not really, its not a big chain. its just the gym at the local leisure park (which i believe is council funded). there are a few gyms around Basingstoke, most of which are large gyms like at the leisure park, sports centre, colleges, etc. then there are a couple of much smaller gyms, but you pay a premium. the level of attention and knowledge at the smaller gyms is probably far better, but is it really worth paying 80% more per year for? i paid £300 for a years membership, and as said, that includes unlimited use of everything including swimming, classes, sauna/steam room. its extremely cheap comparable to other gyms in this area, and offers more facilities and (as far as i know) better equipment.

another major factor was that the smaller gyms dont open at 6am, and a key factor in joining is that i am able to use the gym first thing in the morning and not eat into my working day. i have things to do in the evenings and i dont like exercising late in the day, it also tends to be busier. whereas first thing in the morning all id be doing is laying in bed too lazy to get up, even though im not really asleep. so i might as well make better use of the time!! :D

my sister and her husband use the same gym as me, and she reckons that the guy that did their induction was a qualified PT (although i dont think she would really know the difference anyway). apparently hes from an athletics background rather than body building, and he came up with way better plans for them. so next time im there il see if hes around, he sounds like a more promising bet.

SteveyD;408171 said:
Which one?!

Harpers... although the offer ends tomorrow.

Having said this, the usual monthly membership for the same kind of facilities on offer to Jim is approximately £36. I think a PT is about £25 for the hour so it sounds like swings and roundabouts.

As your main activity is tri, SteveyD, I would carry on training for it and forget about cricket... it will be covered :D. Perhaps a little extra thought to the rotator cuff, but it sounds like you will have this covered too.

Jim2109;408172 said:
...my sister and her husband use the same gym as me, and she reckons that the guy that did their induction was a qualified PT (although i dont think she would really know the difference anyway). apparently hes from an athletics background rather than body building, and he came up with way better plans for them. so next time im there il see if hes around, he sounds like a more promising bet.

A good plan.

However, your sister and brother-in-law may have different aims and goals than you and are probably more easier to please. If they wish to just get fit, or lose weight, it's easy.

Programming for specific sports is the difficulty.

Programming for specific sports with existing muscle imbalances/deficits is even more difficult :D.

If you get to see the other 'PT', let us know how you get on.

John Carlton;408154 said:
Thanks for all that info. Certinaly a lot to take in. I'm going to try incorporate some of the single leg work into my gym routine tonight.

Hi John... and a belated Welcome :D.

How did you find the exercises?

Jim2109;408172 said:
not really, its not a big chain. its just the gym at the local leisure park (which i believe is council funded). there are a few gyms around Basingstoke, most of which are large gyms like at the leisure park, sports centre, colleges, etc. then there are a couple of much smaller gyms, but you pay a premium. the level of attention and knowledge at the smaller gyms is probably far better, but is it really worth paying 80% more per year for? i paid £300 for a years membership, and as said, that includes unlimited use of everything including swimming, classes, sauna/steam room. its extremely cheap comparable to other gyms in this area, and offers more facilities and (as far as i know) better equipment.
As far as I know there is some sort of initiative where all the councils are meant to be doing this?
I was a member of the tennis centre in Nottingham, and it was awesome (great opening hours, great equipment, free training program with their guys (once a week meetup ) and free sauna (plus use of any other facilities in the city (ie pools etc))

I did however change trainer after a few weeks because the one I was seeing was giving me the same sort of level stuff as the 30 stone 40 yo lady in a wheelchair, and not really caring at all. The chap who was helping me afterwards was very good.

Re harpers : A wee bit away from cambridge :p

Part of the problem with Tri training that I dont tend to focus on my upper body / arms at all, as it only accounts for swimming, and i've always had a natrually good form even if lacking strength. Hence I need some sort of ideas for that.
Rotator cuffs need a bit of working on, I think I've knackered my right shoulder around there somewhere (it clicks when I try and do some of the rotator excercises such as say this one :
265c.Par.0001.Image.gif

SteveyD;408178 said:
...Part of the problem with Tri training that I dont tend to focus on my upper body / arms at all, as it only accounts for swimming, and i've always had a natrually good form even if lacking strength. Hence I need some sort of ideas for that.

Well, you don't want bulk up there and if you are swimming competitively, especially with good form, your muscles should be in excellent shape for cricket. However, if you are talking bodybuilding, that's a different kettle of chilli prawns.

SteveyD;408178 said:
...Rotator cuffs need a bit of working on, I think I've knackered my right shoulder around there somewhere (it clicks when I try and do some of the rotator excercises such as say this one :
265c.Par.0001.Image.gif

Tell me more....
How long has this been happening?
Do you remember when this first happened/what you might have done?
Does the shoulder click when you do anything else?
Is there any pain/discomfort?
Does the shoulder only click if you are lying on it, i.e. if you replicate whilst standing or lying on the other shoulder?

Liz Ward;408180 said:
Well, you don't want bulk up there and if you are swimming competitively, especially with good form, your muscles should be in excellent shape for cricket. However, if you are talking bodybuilding, that's a different kettle of chilli prawns.
I wouldn't say Competitvely, I do it for fitness and fun ;) ( Swimming I usually finish somewhere around 2.10 / 100m pace ) Swimming I have always been good at, to the extent that in my school days etc my breastroke was outpacing most of the crawlers.
Tell me more....
How long has this been happening?
Do you remember when this first happened/what you might have done?
Does the shoulder click when you do anything else?
Is there any pain/discomfort?
Does the shoulder only click if you are lying on it, i.e. if you replicate whilst standing or lying on the other shoulder?
For about a couple of weeks. I think it came about from a throw in my last match of the season (2 weeks ago?)
There is a bit of an ache sort of, around the bottom edge of the blade (nearest body). It feels more muscular though.
If i sit down, put my arm straight out and move in a horizontal plane, it clicks (right arm, left arm doesn't)

SteveyD;408181 said:
I wouldn't say Competitvely, I do it for fitness and fun ;) ( Swimming I usually finish somewhere around 2.10 / 100m pace ) Swimming I have always been good at, to the extent that in my school days etc my breastroke was outpacing most of the crawlers.

Well, your idea of 'Competitively' is not the same as mine. Let's just say, as a triathlete, it's more competitive [and regular] than I have ever participated :D.

The rotator cuff muscles are small and are basically instigators so, although they need a lot of work, they do not need/want bulk. Whilst swimming, you work them against resistance perfectly.

SteveyD;408181 said:
For about a couple of weeks. I think it came about from a throw in my last match of the season (2 weeks ago?)
There is a bit of an ache sort of, around the bottom edge of the blade (nearest body). It feels more muscular though.
If i sit down, put my arm straight out and move in a horizontal plane, it clicks (right arm, left arm doesn't)

Does it click both ways... towards midline
as well as away from the body
?​

Liz, how effective is swimming as part of a leg spinners fitness regime? both in terms of resistance and cardio.

i have unlimited use of the swimming pool at my gym as part of my membership, and i quite enjoy it, so i could easily use this as one of my cardio days. im just wondering if it offers specific advantages on top of the obvious though. given that your arms are basically rotating over in a very similar manner to bowling a cricket ball?

Swimming is very effective as part of a fitness regime. It has quite a few benefits, especially if we are suffering a few niggles. If you 'swim', rather than just play in the water, this is a good, non-weightbearing cardio workout. Also, if you alternate the lengths with different strokes, breast/crawl/back/butterfly, it gives the rotator cuff muscles a good resistance workout. [Remember, RCs need endurance.] If good technique is used with full range of motion, it should address some imbalances.

Liz Ward;408251 said:
Well, your idea of 'Competitively' is not the same as mine. Let's just say, as a triathlete, it's more competitive [and regular] than I have ever participated :D.

The rotator cuff muscles are small and are basically instigators so, although they need a lot of work, they do not need/want bulk. Whilst swimming, you work them against resistance perfectly.

Does it click both ways... towards midline
as well as away from the body
?​

sorry, am away today, willl post a good response when I get to a pc and not a phone!​

Don't typically disagree with Liz but... I'd personally avoid swimming - especially if your considering it as a means of training the rotator cuff. Cross training sports should be used as a means to break up movement patterns. All you need to do is look at the sort of shoulder injuries and imbalances that swimmers have to realize that the movement patterns are not sufficiently different enough from cricket and baseball to be an effective form of cross training. For instance, SteveyD is a triathlete who swims and plays cricket. Two sports notable for causing athletes to have internal rotation deficits - not really a surprise that the movement he's suffering with involves internal rotation. If you're going to cross train, try and avoid any other forms of overhead exercise. If you can't avoid it, then the path to attaining healthy and balanced shoulders is going to be 100% more efficient in a gym.

The most effective forms of cross training will have typically have a similar work: rest ratio to the sport you're training. For example, you swim 100m in 2m10sec; rest for a minute. You have a work: rest ratio of 2.2:1. Wicketkeepers are probably the most active men on a cricket field and wouldn't touch that sort of work: rest ratio. For a leg spin bowlers, including your run up, you may take about 3- 5 seconds to deliver a pill, and then wait 20- 40 seconds until you deliver your next ball. If we take the longer times, that's a 1:8 work:rest ratio. Long distance work* seems pretty useless right?

* In this case, I am using 'Long distance' as the relationship between an athletes typical efforts v the new workload. So 'long distance' work for a spin bowler who bowls 120 balls a day off of a 5m runup means something entirely different than 'long distance' work for SteveyD, the resident triathlete. As a pace bowler and typically close in fielder, 100m is long distance work for me. SteveyD on the other hand, would likely laugh at the idea of 100m as being long distance work. It's a relative term.

what youve said makes sense MV, i can see the potential flaws in using swimming, although as a cardio workout i think il probably still do it anyway as its something a bit different to running or rowing lol. the pool is only 25m long, so i was thinking id probably sprint 25m, then take it easy for 25m, then sprint again, and repeat. and just do that for 30-40 mins, mixing up the style every few reps.

with regards my application though, as a leg spin bowler id say matches are fairly insignificant in my actual bowling. for every ball bowled in a match (and i typically only bowl 4-8 overs, probably 3-6 matches a month during the season) il probably bowl 5-10 in practice. and when i practice i bowl multiple balls at once (probably 8-12 in the bag) one after the other, then collect them and go again. so its probably more like 5 seconds bowling, 5 seconds rest, repeat til all balls are bowled, then 90 seconds collecting balls, then go again. its not the same as a pace bowler where they will practice far less, and practice a lot at less than 100% intensity (at least thats how ive observed it at club level). my practice is actually higher intensity than my match play. i bowl faster and more powerfully in practice, i ease off 10% in matches for accuracy and consistency.

bearing in mind that practice is by far the biggest physical strain i endure in my cricket, my work to rest is probably more like 1:1 or 1:2, in 3-4 minute bursts. i cant really think of any other sports where that might be the case, racquet sports perhaps? i dont really intend to take up any other sports though, i was looking at swimming as merely a cardio exercise as opposed to a competitive sport.

MV!;408326 said:
... I'd personally avoid swimming - especially if your considering it as a means of training the rotator cuff. Cross training sports should be used as a means to break up movement patterns. All you need to do is look at the sort of shoulder injuries and imbalances that swimmers have to realize that the movement patterns are not sufficiently different enough from cricket and baseball to be an effective form of cross training.

Totally disagree :D.

Swimmers suffer overuse injury for the same reason cricketers do... and this, as I am tired of saying, does not have anything to do with the amount of time spent doing the activity.

The rotator cuff muscles need muscular endurance. It does not matter how they get it, as long as they get it correctly and in the plane of movement ultilised. Now, if we were to talk about the larger, superficial shoulder muscles... ... ... ...

Swimming for pleasure is not a cross training sport and no prehabilitator or rehabilitator would suggest a recreational sports person avoid it.

Remember... you are not using swimming to train for cricket... you are using it for fun and general fitness and wellbeing.

Liz Ward;408369 said:

Swimmers suffer overuse injury for the same reason cricketers do... and this, as I am tired of saying, does not have anything to do with the amount of time spent doing the activity.

The rotator cuff muscles need muscular endurance. It does not matter how they get it, as long as they get it correctly and in the plane of movement ultilised. Now, if we were to talk about the larger, superficial shoulder muscles... ... ... ...

Swimming for pleasure is not a cross training sport and no prehabilitator or rehabilitator would suggest a recreational sports person avoid it.

Remember... you are not using swimming to train for cricket... you are using it for fun and general fitness and wellbeing.

Indeed. bad practise little as opposed to good practise lots causes problems.
The shoulder seems to click mostly when moving right (clockwise, from in front to right w/e)

MV!;408326 said:
Don't typically disagree with Liz but... I'd personally avoid swimming - especially if your considering it as a means of training the rotator cuff. Cross training sports should be used as a means to break up movement patterns. All you need to do is look at the sort of shoulder injuries and imbalances that swimmers have to realize that the movement patterns are not sufficiently different enough from cricket and baseball to be an effective form of cross training. For instance, SteveyD is a triathlete who swims and plays cricket. Two sports notable for causing athletes to have internal rotation deficits - not really a surprise that the movement he's suffering with involves internal rotation. If you're going to cross train, try and avoid any other forms of overhead exercise. If you can't avoid it, then the path to attaining healthy and balanced shoulders is going to be 100% more efficient in a gym.

The most effective forms of cross training will have typically have a similar work: rest ratio to the sport you're training. For example, you swim 100m in 2m10sec; rest for a minute. You have a work: rest ratio of 2.2:1. Wicketkeepers are probably the most active men on a cricket field and wouldn't touch that sort of work: rest ratio. For a leg spin bowlers, including your run up, you may take about 3- 5 seconds to deliver a pill, and then wait 20- 40 seconds until you deliver your next ball. If we take the longer times, that's a 1:8 work:rest ratio. Long distance work* seems pretty useless right?

* In this case, I am using 'Long distance' as the relationship between an athletes typical efforts v the new workload. So 'long distance' work for a spin bowler who bowls 120 balls a day off of a 5m runup means something entirely different than 'long distance' work for SteveyD, the resident triathlete. As a pace bowler and typically close in fielder, 100m is long distance work for me. SteveyD on the other hand, would likely laugh at the idea of 100m as being long distance work. It's a relative term.
Well, running is my weakness TRI wise!
Its a different kettle of fish, tri keeps me fit, running around doing short bursts of running in the field still knackers me!

SteveyD;408379 said:
Indeed. bad practise little as opposed to good practise lots causes problems.

Gold Star! :D

SteveyD;408379 said:
The shoulder seems to click mostly when moving right (clockwise, from in front to right w/e)

It sounds like an issue with the origin of your lateral [external] rotator(s), however, this is not the cause; it's compensation for weaker muscles elsewhere and tight pecs.

Are you any good at butterfly?

If not, the door frame stretch should help.

If it begins to cause you discomfort, you could put a tennis ball between this area and the wall and roll around a bit.

SteveyD;408388 said:
Well, running is my weakness TRI wise!
Its a different kettle of fish, tri keeps me fit, running around doing short bursts of running in the field still knackers me!

Cricketers tend to ignore energy systems... tbh, they do so at their peril.
Aerobic training is not given the respect it deserves in the recreational sport. Base building is extremely important, as most of the energy for movement and top up of PCr stores during low intensity time is provided by the aerobic system... it follows, and it is a fact, that if you have a good aerobic fitness, you can put more effort into the high intensity moves due to this recovery capability. ;)

Liz Ward;408369 said:

If we are talking about swimming as a 'get up off the couch and have some fun' activity, then it's great, sure. While I don't do it as often as I'd like to, I love swimming for recreation. It's great fun, can be relaxing, can also be pretty taxing... But in the context of this thread and of this particular conversation, I simply don't see swimming as an effective part of a fitness regime or training program for a cricketer. I appreciate that the vast majority of people asking questions are weekend warriors, but I also believe that anyone that has the time and desire to request input from a site like this probably might want to be more than just a weekend warrior or at the very least, desire to become the best and most cricket fit weekend warrior they can become. And one thing that that type of weekend warrior typically lacks is time - and as such, it makes sense that they should be doing the most bang for their buck work. As a form of cardio? There are more effective things to do. As a means of training the RC? There are more effective things to do. As a recovery tool? Sure, go for your life. Walking laps, swim slow laps, different strokes.

Also - I understand 100% that 'overuse' injuries are not a result of actual time spent doing an activity. Overuse injuries are typically a result of imbalances - of something in the chain being weak. While 'time spent' doing an activity may not be the cause for the development of an injury or imbalance, repetitions performed certainly can be - and there's clearly a relationship between 'time spent' and 'repetitions performed'. If one of the primary causes for that imbalance the the amount of repetitions of a certain activity - such as bowling or throwing - that often leads to a certain type of imbalance, it would seem sensible to me that you should avoid doing another form of exercise that is also renowned for causing that same type of imbalance - in this case, swimming. We could probably go back and fourth over this, but I'm pretty behind my assertion: swimming is a good sport and great recreational activity, but for a cricketer (specifically bowlers, really), I don't see it as an effective* part of a training program. I also think it's worth pointing out for others that direct RC training is only a supplementary part of training - a whole lot of RC work isn't going to make you that much more immune from shoulder injuries if everything around the shoulder is weak and lacks mobility. And as Liz mentioned with Stevey, tight pecs are one of biggest inhibitors for bowlers, throwers, sitters, slouchers, and almost every person on the street. Regardless of how opinions differ on this particular bit of supplementary training, I think Liz and I would both agree that the number one inhibitor for most sports people is a general lack of mobility. Before putting any appreciable time in to worrying too much about how the RCs work and how to go about strengthening them, the first step to shoulder health is working on thoracic spine mobility, loosening those pecks up, improving your shoulder mobility and fixing your posture.

[*where 'effective' means most efficient.]

As for Stevey and becoming gassed after chasing a pill in the field - I'd imagine that that's a pretty good indication that his anaerobic system would benefit from a whole lot of supplementary sprint training.

Back