Harbhajan cleared of racism charges

AB

Harbhajan cleared of racism charges

The racism charge against Harbhajan Singh has been dropped and the three-Test ban which was handed out by match referee Mike Procter after the second Test in Sydney has been lifted. The charge against Harbhajan has been reduced from Level 3.3 to Level 2.8, under which he has been fined 50% of his match fees during the appeal hearing in Adelaide overseen by appeals commissioner Justice John Hansen.
Full Story

Not surprised by the decision. There was no way that the Harbhajan could be proven guilty of racism in a court of Law. There was no proof so Mike Proctor could be sure 'without any reasonable doubt' that Harbhajan was guilty. He has been charged for using obscene language and fined 50% of his match fee. According to the report, both BCCI and CA are happy with the decision.

Re: Harbhajan cleared of racism charges

finally we get the right justice....now the tension should reduce...harbhajan case was always strong and it was injustice to ban him..

cricket australia forced players to take a soft stand because the cry babies at bccci threatned to pull out. the bcci is saying "there is no way we can accept a charge of racism against our player". wtf is that. they are just saying that harbhajan has done it but we wont accept it. its a shame that cricket australia decided to make a compromise because of the money involved.

BCCI has handled the situation very poorly. By threatening to pull out and opposing the introduction of audio evidence(even though their lawyer said it was inconclusive) they have made it seem that Harbhajan is guilty. Procter made the wrong decision probably because he is not legally qualified and his judgment was affected by factors other than evidence. There is no way that Harbhajan could have been proven guilty in a court of law as there was no conclusive evidence. They were right in appealing against the ban, but the threat to pull out was not needed. Its just too much to expect BCCI to act in a professional manner.

RAJAN
i dont like him no hes a silly man he is a racist and he has no repsect for cricket or other countries
he ran on the field wit an indian flag jus to aggravate the waca spectators i dont like him and i dont like the bcci

inconclusive evidence??? i read the transcript of the video tape and its quite clear to me what harbhajan said. bcci are pathetic. they know hes a racist and its a shame that he escaped.

No, its not clear what Harbhajan said and thats why the charge was lifted. The audio was not conclusive and there is no way to prove that he was guilty. Symonds himself could not recall the whole incident. The judge wasn't convinced and hence Harbhajan was cleared of the charge.

kizza said:
RAJAN
i dont like him no hes a silly man he is a racist and he has no repsect for cricket or other countries
he ran on the field wit an indian flag jus to aggravate the waca spectators i dont like him and i dont like the bcci
why should harbhajan not celebrate with the indian flag if india won at perth.....if india won so they are not allowed to wave the flag???...is that against rules...the spectatros are not happy because australia lost so the indians should not celebrate too??? if thy dont like it then their problem..

AB said:
BCCI has handled the situation very poorly. By threatening to pull out and opposing the introduction of audio evidence(even though their lawyer said it was inconclusive) they have made it seem that Harbhajan is guilty. Procter made the wrong decision probably because he is not legally qualified and his judgment was affected by factors other than evidence. There is no way that Harbhajan could have been proven guilty in a court of law as there was no conclusive evidence. They were right in appealing against the ban, but the threat to pull out was not needed. Its just too much to expect BCCI to act in a professional manner.
bcci did right....how can we continue to play with them if harbhajan is banned without any proof...that is injustice

Lets put this into some kind of perspective. Firstly, the whole incident was badly handled from the start. Symonds stuck his nose in where it wasn't wanted and Singh made a comment back.

What was said? I don't know and the only one who does isn't saying. Both players come across as a bit prickly at times and that doesn't help matters.

As for the original trial, a joke. You need hard evidence to convict, not hearsay and circumstantial bits and bobs. Proctor made a hash of it (again) and should be left to referee matches, not adjuicate on trials.

The BCCI threw the toys out of the pram, much like the Australian press - neither covered themselves with glory.

It was clear from the start that once the charges against Hogg were dropped Singh was going to be cleared as well. Call it a gesture of good will if you like.

Whats done is done, we need to move on and concentrate on the ODI's coming up. Nothing else is going to change.

As for Singh and the Indian flag, well, I can't see the issue. The guy is Indian and proud of his country, I know that I'd bring on the Aussie flag to celebrate if I'd just won a test. Look at how you like, but at the end of the day it's a nation against another nation, national pride is always going to come into it.

kizza said:
RAJAN
Symonds doesnt have any respect for other countries too. You cant say Harbhajan is racist. Can you prove? Symonds started it and everyone is just giving all blame to Harbhajan. You are reacting like he killed someone.

Back