Hello Everybody!

GanglyGoogly

I'm just starting to play cricket again after a 12 year break. Unfortunately, I was nine years old then, so I'm pretty much starting over again. Being out in California has made it somewhat difficult to get back into the game, but it's starting to catch on and there quite a few clubs now. I've just joined one and hopefully I'll be practicing and playing every day this summer.
I'm learning to bowl legspin at the moment, and almost all of my coaching has come from the forums here. Big thanks to Dave and the rest of the guys on the spin bowling forums because all of their discussions have helped before I've really even started. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute a bit to those discussions once I have an inkling of what I'm doing...

I'm just starting to play cricket again after a 12 year break. Unfortunately, I was nine years old then, so I'm pretty much starting over again. Being out in California has made it somewhat difficult to get back into the game, but it's starting to catch on and there quite a few clubs now. I've just joined one and hopefully I'll be practicing and playing every day this summer.
I'm learning to bowl legspin at the moment, and almost all of my coaching has come from the forums here. Big thanks to Dave and the rest of the guys on the spin bowling forums because all of their discussions have helped before I've really even started. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute a bit to those discussions once I have an inkling of what I'm doing...

Yeah it'll be good to have you join it as it's a bit dead at the minute, I think Facebook is killing forums off and that's where all the people are I reckon. On the spin thread one of the main contributors has moved to the outback in Australia it seems and it'll be a while before he get his internet set up out there and that hasn't helped with the traffic on the forum. Glad to hear you feel all our comments have been of some use to you, it's good to hear. It'll be interesting to see some pic's from Sunny California and where you play out there even if it's in someones garden or yard. Are you from California or have you moved there from one of the usual cricket nataions?

Yeah it'll be good to have you join it as it's a bit dead at the minute, I think Facebook is killing forums off and that's where all the people are I reckon. On the spin thread one of the main contributors has moved to the outback in Australia it seems and it'll be a while before he get his internet set up out there and that hasn't helped with the traffic on the forum. Glad to hear you feel all our comments have been of some use to you, it's good to hear. It'll be interesting to see some pic's from Sunny California and where you play out there even if it's in someones garden or yard. Are you from California or have you moved there from one of the usual cricket nataions?
Yeah, Facebook does seem to be dominating everything a bit, doesn't it? It looks like the spin forum is the one getting the most consistent posts, thankfully, so keep up the good work. I'm out in the middle of nowhere at university in upstate New York at the moment, but as soon as I finish my final exams I'll be back home in California. There aren't too many places around here to play cricket, especially since just finding a bit of flat ground to play on is difficult enough. There are quite few clubs in California though, and people are starting to put pitches in wherever they can. The club I've joined put in an artificial pitch on a field at a local school. Nothing like the nice ones in England, but not too bad. I'll try to get some pictures when I get the chance.
I was born in California but my parents are English and we've been back and forth across the pond quite a bit. So I've still got a very slight hope of somehow playing for England someday :rolleyes:

Yeah, Facebook does seem to be dominating everything a bit, doesn't it? It looks like the spin forum is the one getting the most consistent posts, thankfully, so keep up the good work. I'm out in the middle of nowhere at university in upstate New York at the moment, but as soon as I finish my final exams I'll be back home in California. There aren't too many places around here to play cricket, especially since just finding a bit of flat ground to play on is difficult enough. There are quite few clubs in California though, and people are starting to put pitches in wherever they can. The club I've joined put in an artificial pitch on a field at a local school. Nothing like the nice ones in England, but not too bad. I'll try to get some pictures when I get the chance.
I was born in California but my parents are English and we've been back and forth across the pond quite a bit. So I've still got a very slight hope of somehow playing for England someday :rolleyes:

Nice aspiration! I thought that New York (City) had quite a good cricket scene because of the cosmopolitan make up of the population?

Nice aspiration! I thought that New York (City) had quite a good cricket scene because of the cosmopolitan make up of the population?
Yeah, the city does have some pitches around; I've seen some on the bus from Manhattan to the airport. I'm six hours away from the city by the Finger Lakes, though, so it's all hills and woods and not much demand for cricket. We have a club here at school, mostly international students from India and Pakistan, nothing serious, just playing for a bit of a laugh. That's why I'm excited to get home to relative civilizations, real pitches (or close enough), and even nets! They're close by and they're free, so I'll be practicing all day every day, as long as I don't fall apart.

Back