Hello & Help Please

Terry

Hi there,

Nice to meet you all.

Im wondering if I could get some advice regarding the LBW rule. My understanding of it is that if the ball pitches outside of leg stump then its NOT OUT even if ump thinks its hitting stumps. However the ball can pitch outside of the off stump and if ump thinks its going to hit the stumps he can give batsman out.

I have heard that in some games the leg rule is applied to the off stump as well but not in others.

So whats the score with this. Id be very grateful for some guidance and advice on this as I dont want to be sticking a finger up when I shouldnt be, or leaving it down when it should be up!!

Thanks

hey mate
yeah, I agree with russellbarnard, if a shot is offered than you cannot be given out LBW if the ball pitches outside of leg, even if it was going on to take out middle.
However, if a batsman does not offer a shot then they can be given out LBW regardless of where the ball pitched, as long as it was goin to hit the stumps obviously.

If anyone thinks I'm wrong, please correct me, but I think thats right.

Hi Guys,

Firstly thanks for the welcome Russell.

Thank you both for the info - interesting about the not playing a stroke angle. Thats very useful - I guess the tricky thing will be deciding whether or not the batsman did make a genuine attempt. Some I have seen are very good at hiding the bat behind the pad but trying to make it look like a shot.

One thing Im still not sure on and would be very grateful for any advice on is the rule regarding the OFF STUMP. My reading of this is that the batsman can be given out if the ump judges (assuming batsman has played a genuine stroke) that the ball is going on to hit the stumps and that the ball DOES NOT have to pitch in line with the stumps if pitching on the 'off side' of the stumps Are you guys in agreement on this or do you have a different take?

Its a key match this Saturday ( as many end of season ones are) and I want to be sure about this once and for all. I've read the rules and am still unclear. Sorry if Im being thick.

Thanks

sorry mate, let me add my welcome to bigcricket. You should hang around, it's a pretty cool place.

I believe that even if a genuine attempt was made to play a shot, you can be given out LBW to a ball that pitches outside of off stump, but the point of impact with the batsmans pads must be in front of the wicket (or if you like in a straight line between the wickets at each end of the pitch). So if the ball pitches outside off, the batsman attemps a stroke but makes no contact with the ball, and the ball hits him in front of the stumps then he should be given out. If no stroke was offered then the batsman can be struck outside the direct line of the stumps and still be given out leg before, so long as it was going on to hit the stumps. This may happen when the ball is swinging, spinning or the bowler it bowling from wide of non-striker end stumps.

Am I correct that you are umpiring an important club game? It might be possible to double check with some other umpires at you club, especially if you think that some clubs play slightly different variations. Good luck anyway!

Hi Raze,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out here. Its really appreciated. Youve made me feel a little more confident because I would have called the off stump situation the same as you. I know there are nuances in this particular league regarding whether to call wides etc, but not with LBW's as far as I know.

Its a cup match that Im helping to umpire. Im not new to umpiring dont worry lol but recently after over hearing a chat about the LBW law I thought.,..... hang on a minute...!!!! Then when googling - found this forum and its great to be able to discuss it. Thanks for your best wishes for tomorrow - I love cricket and always have - where better than to watch a match than from the stumps and sqaure leg - . (shhhhhhh dont tell them i said that ;-) ) .... and they pay me a few quid as well!

Once again thanks so much for being kind enough to take the time to help me out here and I will hang about here - A great find!

I shall report back on any marginal LBW's

hey mate
yeah, I agree with russellbarnard, if a shot is offered than you cannot be given out LBW if the ball pitches outside of leg, even if it was going on to take out middle.
However, if a batsman does not offer a shot then they can be given out LBW regardless of where the ball pitched, as long as it was goin to hit the stumps obviously.

If anyone thinks I'm wrong, please correct me, but I think thats right.
Sorry, but you dont need to play a shot if it pitches outside leg, you can kick it away and cant be LBW.
Off stump, it doesnt matter where it pitches but when it hits the pad were you outside the line and playing a shot. If so you shouldn't be LBW. As an opening bat, It's important to me that umpires understand this.

Back