Help, am i tall enough??

petersiddle09

Help, am i tall enough??

Hey i am 17 and i am going to play winter cricket.
I am only 5'7 or 160-162 cms.
Am i too short too be a good bowler?
or should i just train to be a batsman, im hopeless at batting haha
please help
( I am a fast bowler )

Re: Help, am i tall enough??

if you're a good bowler, you're a good bowler. height shouldn't dictate whether or not you give bowling away, that would be ridiculous. at 160cms you might have trouble banging it in and getting good bounce out of the wicket, so concentrate on line and length and look to improve your swing/seam bowling.

The gret thing about cricket is that there is no real set boundaries to your height/weight/physique, especially in the clubs in my area, it is your performance that counts, look at mark cosgrove and inzamam ul haq for example

It's all in the action.

If I run in at half pace and purposely bowl slow I can still get a bouncer that bounces one and a half times the batsman on a normal pitch. If I bowl full pace I once (embaressingly) bowled a ball that was quite literally three times the batsman's height, and he wasn't short. I'm fast, but there are guys faster than me who cannot bowl a bouncer and are also taller than me. It's just my action suits for bounce and I get a lot of it. There are down sides though, and that is innaccuracy, pulling of the ball down off, shoulder strains, etc, which is why I have had to change it a little.

You don't have to be tall to be a good bowler.

What speed are you approximately?

petersiddle09;383451 said:
I am only 5'7 or 160-162 cms.

Which one are you, because 5'7 is about 170cm, isn't it?

You don't have to be tall, if you put it on a good line and length you'll be hard enough to play.

I think i may be 100-110kms max.
How can i get more bounche in my game..
If i try to put it short and i put everything into it, it bounches twice..
( i am a front on bowler eg adre nel )

Thinking tall helps a lot. As you come in to deliver the ball push your head to the sky and push your bowling arm up then bring it down hard.

I'd also suggest that your bouncer may not reach above chest height at most. Try not to pitch it as short as you would expect to be bowling a bouncer. Keep it just back of a good length and you bouncer may only just reach the bottom of the ribs, which is good enough anyway.

Focus on your strengths but never forget about developing your weaknesses.

Thanks guys, yeah I measured myself about 6 month ago 5'7 or 170 centermeters.
Boris what about my left arm do I pull in towards my gut as hard as I can for extra pace?
Thanks again.
What do you mean look towards the sky?
Sorry if I am beeing a pain, need to imporve before winter competition.

Of course I'm no expert on these areas, just little things I have picked up from coaches and even Liz or Micoach.

For more pace I myself push the right side of my hip through as quickly as I can. I focus on bringing that side of my lower body quicky and thrusting it hard at the batsman, that is what I do for the quick ball and for extra bounce. Not sure about the left arm thing, I haven't had the problem myself so I can't relay any information.

When I mentioned the 'think tall' stuff I didn't mean to actually look to the sky, sorry for the misinterpretation. As I come through my action I make sure I keep my head up and push my bowling arm and the rest of my body upwards and then quickly downwards in my follow through. I fell kind of like sitting up straight in a chair, but not so vigourously or you may injure yourself. It's about making sure you aren't falling over through your action and have limbs flailing and energy being expired in places that it shouldn't be. Makes for a more efficient action in the whole.

And it's no trouble at all. I pestered Liz for similar sorts of information.

petersiddle09;383620 said:
I think i may be 100-110kms max.
How can i get more bounche in my game..
If i try to put it short and i put everything into it, it bounches twice..
( i am a front on bowler eg adre nel )

not trying to be smart but if your that pace i wouldnt be trying to many bouncers. just learn to swing it and stick to that

mdf30586;384037 said:
not trying to be smart but if your that pace i wouldnt be trying to many bouncers. just learn to swing it and stick to that

It's a good point, but bounce from any point is a strong weapon, it means that even his fuller balls skid along. That's fine as well, skidding balls get a lot of wickets, but can be frustrating.

It just feels good to be able to bounce someone, to know you have the ability.

Back