Help For Batting Timing

k31453

Hi ,
i ve got few problems

1) first is timing every time i hit the cricket ball, it doesnt hit in the middle, it always on edge or toe .
What i do is when ball bounced from the pitch then i swing back and hit the ball.
2) i am good at front foot and off side but when the ball come at middle of my body i am to scared to face so i suddenly come on defense shot instead of attack shot.

3) Batting against the spinner is my worst in cricket. when i am trying to do quick step and going forward and try to hit my face direction is different i dont look at the ball. everytime i ve this problem.

4) Cut shot is the one thing i cant do anything. I always miss the cut shot. Hardly, i can hit the cut shot in 1in 10 balls so its hard for me. AND I DONT HAVE GOOD HEIGHT

5) i dont know after 10 minutes batting my fingers hurt to so bad.

Please Help to solve my problem !!!!

I WILL UPLOAD MY NET SEASON VIDEO IN COUPLE OF DAYS SO U GUYZ CAN HELP ME TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM !!!!!!

Hi ,
i ve got few problems

1) first is timing every time i hit the cricket ball, it doesnt hit in the middle, it always on edge or toe .
What i do is when ball bounced from the pitch then i swing back and hit the ball.
2) i am good at front foot and off side but when the ball come at middle of my body i am to scared to face so i suddenly come on defense shot instead of attack shot.

3) Batting against the spinner is my worst in cricket. when i am trying to do quick step and going forward and try to hit my face direction is different i dont look at the ball. everytime i ve this problem.

4) Cut shot is the one thing i cant do anything. I always miss the cut shot. Hardly, i can hit the cut shot in 1in 10 balls so its hard for me. AND I DONT HAVE GOOD HEIGHT

5) i dont know after 10 minutes batting my fingers hurt to so bad.

Please Help to solve my problem !!!!

I WILL UPLOAD MY NET SEASON VIDEO IN COUPLE OF DAYS SO U GUYZ CAN HELP ME TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM !!!!!!

It'll be interesting to hear what people come up with as an answer. I'm a bowler and I bat at 10 or 11 and no matter how much I practice I just seem to hit the ball far too late and into the ground so all the momentum is taken off it. But looking around at other people - especially people that don't play cricket, who are suddenly given a bat and without any tuition or direction they just seem to have exceptionally good ball-eye-bat co-ordination and are able to get the bat on the ball and middle it.

simple things the professionals use to help their timing, throwdowns being the easiest, the england team i know even practice just having the coach drop a cricket ball in front of the batsman and have him hit it to practice the timing of their drives.

simple things the professionals use to help their timing, throwdowns being the easiest, the england team i know even practice just having the coach drop a cricket ball in front of the batsman and have him hit it to practice the timing of their drives.

Yeah been there tried that and done okay with it, but again converting it to a game where some nutter is trying to hit you in the nuts with attempted 90 mph in-swingers I struggle to see how the drill relates to the reality! But, if the England team are doing it there must be some proven benefit eh?

I hate to say it but hitting a ball with the middle of the bat is just one of these things that takes practice. Its really easy to pick up between the ages of 6 and 10, but after that it gets trickier.

A lot of people who feel unable to hit the ball hard actually have a backlift problem. This is due to bad coaching - at the point the bowler lets go of the ball, your bat should be vertical - upwards, towards the sky. Cautious coaching teaches the forward defence before the straight drive- this is entirely the wrong way round. The number of people I see who still have their bat glued to their toe as the ball is released is depressing. They then try to accelerate the bat through 3 inches and wonder why they can't get sufficient bat speed to get the ball off the square.

Try punching a punch bag from 3 inches away. Now hit it from a full arm extension. Now you know why you can't "time" the ball.

Other problems are weak hands allowing the bat to twist on contact losing all momentum, or hitting across the line leading to a poor connection.

I hate to say it but hitting a ball with the middle of the bat is just one of these things that takes practice. Its really easy to pick up between the ages of 6 and 10, but after that it gets trickier.

A lot of people who feel unable to hit the ball hard actually have a backlift problem. This is due to bad coaching - at the point the bowler lets go of the ball, your bat should be vertical - upwards, towards the sky. Cautious coaching teaches the forward defence before the straight drive- this is entirely the wrong way round. The number of people I see who still have their bat glued to their toe as the ball is released is depressing. They then try to accelerate the bat through 3 inches and wonder why they can't get sufficient bat speed to get the ball off the square.

Try punching a punch bag from 3 inches away. Now hit it from a full arm extension. Now you know why you can't "time" the ball.

Other problems are weak hands allowing the bat to twist on contact losing all momentum, or hitting across the line leading to a poor connection.

I'll try and take that on board and give that a go (if it ever stops raining), seems to make sense as I hit the ball far too late and yeah that's the way I've been coached!

by the sound of what you are saying... your backlift starts way too late. You should already have the bat up high, ready to be brought forward well before the ball is pitched... more when the ball is released. Timing is all about getting the rhythm of your feet/body/hands right... i will keep my eye out for the video and see if i can be of any help.
Until then, make sure you are getting your bat up early, stepping to the ball and getting your hands through the line. Timing comes with practice.

by the sound of what you are saying... your backlift starts way too late. You should already have the bat up high, ready to be brought forward well before the ball is pitched... more when the ball is released. Timing is all about getting the rhythm of your feet/body/hands right... i will keep my eye out for the video and see if i can be of any help.
Until then, make sure you are getting your bat up early, stepping to the ball and getting your hands through the line. Timing comes with practice.

Yeah I think I'm starting to move the bat when the balls 1/3rd or 1/2 way down the wicket!

While I agree with the diagnosis, I don't think that it is right to say that bat should be vertical at point of release. IF you look at test cricket videos pausing at the time ball is let go, the bat hangs about mid-way in the backlift at the time of release, and based on the line of the delivery, you lift the bat up further.

While I agree with the diagnosis, I don't think that it is right to say that bat should be vertical at point of release. IF you look at test cricket videos pausing at the time ball is let go, the bat hangs about mid-way in the backlift at the time of release, and based on the line of the delivery, you lift the bat up further.

yes technically you are half=correct. Coach education talks about the 5 key points:
1) the stance: relaxed, focused with bat down as the bowler begins his run in, perhaps going over a few key phrases in head
2) the trigger movement: head still, eyes level, small controlled movement to break inertia, weight on balls of feet, and bat horizontal, just as bowler hits delivery stride
then the really important ones:
3) the stride: as soon as the first reading of line and length is picked up, the bat goes vertically upwards, and head moving into line and body moving into a stable balanced position to strike the ball
4) pre-contact: any footwork is completed. now for any last minute adjustment to shot based upon second reading of any movement. If backfoot shot, this requires picking the ball up again after bouncing. If front foot, you should have followed the ball all the way in.
5) follow through: remains balanced, weight has gone through the ball in direction of shot.

As basic as it sounds... the old 'ball on a string' technique might be of some use. It helps to get the understanding of when to actually make contact with the ball. After that, its a lot easier to shift that into a net session... than trying to work out where you should be making contact when the ball is moving at 90mph.

Back