High-tech bats to be made illegal

Re: High-tech bats to be made illegal

Poor decision lacking any kind of foresight. I agree with no man made materials or carbon handles. However what happens when cane runs out as it is not an infinite resource? Also not very environmentally friendly shipping those handles from Malaysia.

Very very few professionals used these carbon handles anyway so it won't make any difference to the games we see on TV.

For what its worth I agree with the descision. Although I imagine it won`t take long for the big bat manufacturers to come up with the "next big thing" and get someone like McCulloch to advertise how it can improve your batting. I am getting far too cynical for my tender age!!!

MasterBlaster said:
I dont like when people say that we should stick with tradition. Are we still in the stone age? As technology progresses we should progress too. Why should cricket be an exception?

But why change for the sake of change?

As I have already said, I'm more than happy for the game to evolve, but not if it's just because it can. Let's have a reason to make the changes.

yup, gotta have a reason to evolve!

If suddenly you had mas produced Carbon blade etc that could hit a ball an extra 30 meters it would virtually turn the gmae into a batsmens game! we would need bigger fields! Hell why not reduce the boundary scoring system while your there! say 2 for a boundary and 4 for a 6!

Stumped said:
yup, gotta have a reason to evolve!

If suddenly you had mas produced Carbon blade etc that could hit a ball an extra 30 meters it would virtually turn the gmae into a batsmens game! we would need bigger fields! Hell why not reduce the boundary scoring system while your there! say 2 for a boundary and 4 for a 6!
The research doesnt prove that carbon handles have any effect on the power of the shot. It just makes the bat more durable I think. Changing the boundary scoring system wont be technological progress.
Dont tell me that Cricket doesnt need any technological progress. There are lots of things that could be made better about cricket with the use of more technology.

it just needs to be for the better of the game not because the technology is there!

MasterBlaster said:
The research doesnt prove that carbon handles have any effect on the power of the shot. It just makes the bat more durable I think. Changing the boundary scoring system wont be technological progress.
Dont tell me that Cricket doesnt need any technological progress. There are lots of things that could be made better about cricket with the use of more technology.
When did I say it just needs to be there because the world is making technological progress? The whole reason behind technology is to make things better. There are destructive uses of technology too but we arent concerned with that there.

If you can use modern technology to make something easier to produce or to have a lesser impact on the environment then great, go for it, but don't change things just for the sake of change.

Why produce a ball that will go 60 metres further, will this really enhance the game? A bat that hits the ball twice as hard, hardly adds to the game unless you're the one batting.

The battle between bat and ball is one that is finely balanced (probably in favour of the bat at the moment) and it doesn't really need tampering with. Look at what happens when they attempt to change the rules to 'aid' the game, it just takes something away.

The only thing they really need to do at the moment is to produce a one day ball that lasts for 50 overs.

if it ain't broke dont fix it... bats are where they should be right now. Which is at an equal level of 'technological advancement' to the ball. Cricket is the great game it is because of the simplicity, but intricacies that result from our red leather ball and willow bats =P

I don't disagree about the bat and handle being made of Wood, however why restrict the handle to just cane? There may be other woods which are found to work as well and be a renewable resource.

Also not all Carbon handles are banned under this new Leglislation - for example Laver and Woods isn't and I hear there's a bat dubbed the "Fusion 2" coming out from Grays.

this is a bit of a tangent but there are goods sides. I was searching for expensive bats that i could never afford and ended up on laver and wood i.e the £800 signature bat...... but i also randomly clicked on injuries and it was about a man who messed up his elbow and couldnt support cricket bat weight so james laver, the worlds finest batmaker so u can't comment on sweatshops.And to decrease w8 he had to use carbonn heres the link http://www.laverwood.co.nz/injsol.htm

Think you've misinterpreted it, firstly having taken one apart the Laver and Wood Carbon handle is nothing more than a carbon rod stuck through a handle. And secondly it's no lighter than any normal cane handle.

The Carbon makes the handle stiffer, nothing to do with weight or pickup

phil2oo8 said:
this is a bit of a tangent but there are goods sides. I was searching for expensive bats that i could never afford and ended up on laver and wood i.e the £800 signature bat...... but i also randomly clicked on injuries and it was about a man who messed up his elbow and couldnt support cricket bat weight so james laver, the worlds finest batmaker so u can't comment on sweatshops.And to decrease w8 he had to use carbonn heres the link http://www.laverwood.co.nz/injsol.htm

As said not so much for weight reduction, more to minimise the amount of shock going up the handle. The carbon helps with this but also they took other measures, such as in the binding and the type of grip used.

in terms of the progress by technological means you only need to look at the similiar debate in golf. The increased power of the drivers means that courses are having to be redesigned to bring the par level back to the correct ....well par.

Gary player and alot of the top pros agree there should be a change to the drivers. The redesign of the courses is expensive and many courses already only just get by with the amount they have to water courses and in many cases they even need to find extra land to increase the distance......which means even moreland to water etc.

Currently there is already alot of talk in cricket about the over-bowling of bowlers due to the advantage the batsman have. Bats in wood have already some on so much due to teh improved shaping, pressing and even selection of wood. I remember an article on Herchelle Gibbs bat: it is barely pressed making it really soft but really springy. It only last 6-8 matches then he throws it away and gets another. That is already so far removed from club cricket where youve just spent £80+ you want your bat to last at least 2 seasons.

Bats are already advanced enough.
If any changes need to be made it is to the ball.
I would reccomend an improving the ball to allow bowlers to bowl quicker. The additional speed would also benefit batsman as the ball would travel further. However fans woul struggle to follow it even more from the sidelines as it raced around. So I dont think its a good option.

What could you do the ball to make it go quicker though? You can't really make it more aero-dynamic as that would normally mean changing the shape. Also, as we've seen once they move away from the normal red it causes problems.

A different coating may reduce/increase swing to silly levels and more prominent seam could lead to a lot of unpredictable movement or bounce putting the advantage firmly back into the hands of the bowler.

Back