Hilfenhaus, talented bowler, not all that smart?

gbatman

Hilfenhaus, talented bowler, not all that smart?

Just a few things I have noticed about Ben Hilfenhaus as a bowler. He has good pace without being lightning quick, he can bowl the perfect out swinger but he is very predictable and doesn't bowl with variation. He always bowls the outswinger and sometimes a bouncer which is not all that great.

In the ODI's in Australia he consistantly bowled too short which is ok when there is no swing. As an opening bowler he should have been bowling full and going for wickets and it hurt us as we didn't have to bowlers to get wickets and bowl well at the death.

In South Africa his accuracy and length has improved but he bowls the same bowl every bloody time! Constant out swingers that the batsmen can play because they know what's coming. I have seen him bowl an off cutter where he rolls his fingers over the seam and gets it to go straight and maby cut in to the right hander but sadly he never bowls it.

He needs a straight ball which he can bowl, he would get a lot more wickets with his out swinger to if the batsmen were unsure of what he was going to bowl. I don't know if he can bowl an inswinger but it looks as though he can't.

As long as Hilfy isn't replaced by Lee who lacks a bowling brain too. If only you could put the bowling smarts of Warne, McGrath, Lillie or Akram in these guys.

Also our lack of the slower ball from all pacemen has been a worry. Siddle has been exceptional like i thought he would be, cuts the ball both ways, bowls a straight one, swings the odd ball and bounces the batsmen. Its his skill and variation that have made Siddle our best bowler over there.

So Hilfy, get some variation and get the batsmen guessing or for ever be a 1, 2 or maby 3 wicket bowler. Don't get obsessed with the swing when you get it as this is when you must mix it up!

Re: Hilfenhaus, talented bowler, not all that smart?

gbatman;338991 said:
Just a few things I have noticed about Ben Hilfenhaus as a bowler. He has good pace without being lightning quick, he can bowl the perfect out swinger but he is very predictable and doesn't bowl with variation. He always bowls the outswinger and sometimes a bouncer which is not all that great.

In the ODI's in Australia he consistantly bowled too short which is ok when there is no swing. As an opening bowler he should have been bowling full and going for wickets and it hurt us as we didn't have to bowlers to get wickets and bowl well at the death.

In South Africa his accuracy and length has improved but he bowls the same bowl every bloody time! Constant out swingers that the batsmen can play because they know what's coming. I have seen him bowl an off cutter where he rolls his fingers over the seam and gets it to go straight and maby cut in to the right hander but sadly he never bowls it.

He needs a straight ball which he can bowl, he would get a lot more wickets with his out swinger to if the batsmen were unsure of what he was going to bowl. I don't know if he can bowl an inswinger but it looks as though he can't.

As long as Hilfy isn't replaced by Lee who lacks a bowling brain too. If only you could put the bowling smarts of Warne, McGrath, Lillie or Akram in these guys.

Also our lack of the slower ball from all pacemen has been a worry. Siddle has been exceptional like i thought he would be, cuts the ball both ways, bowls a straight one, swings the odd ball and bounces the batsmen. Its his skill and variation that have made Siddle our best bowler over there.

So Hilfy, get some variation and get the batsmen guessing or for ever be a 1, 2 or maby 3 wicket bowler. Don't get obsessed with the swing when you get it as this is when you must mix it up!

He got De Villiers with one last test.
Was a ball that cut back in.

bowls the good outswinger just needs the one that comes back in...

i dont know a lot about him, they say england will suit though, who are we going to drop when clarke comes back in, which i think he will.

I have seen him bowl whole spells with only bowling a bouncer as variation. South African conditions suite him perfectly, he has no excuse there.

Him and Lee, no cricket brain and bowling smarts, doesn't think about how to get the batsmen out and come up with things perhaps...

all he needs to do is bowl his off cutter more often and scramble the seam more often and di it when he's getting movement.

DY13;339018 said:
bowls the good outswinger just needs the one that comes back in...

He doesn't have to have an in-swinger, (although if he did it would be dangerous) all he needs is a straight one.
He should bowl 3 good out-swingers and then hold the ball across the seam and put it on off stump, I think that type of delivery would get alot of batsmen in trouble.

Thoughts?

What do you mean Lee has no brain. you dont get 300 test wickets from bowling any random ball you can think of. he is a legend of the game and should be respected as such. even though now he isnt as fast as he once was he got 60 wickets and the Allan Border medal in a calendar year at his current pace. its only lately because of him being sick and his foot problems that he wasnt too good, but he still got a couple of wickets occasionally and kept the runs at a respectable rate.

as for Hilfy, i think he is a better bowler than Siddle when he gets a wicket and has a good spell, which does happen when he thinks. hes got it in him to do it, he just has to look for the finer details and get more help from the captain. siddle has good spells where he looks great, but then 2 out of 3 spells of his are ordinary and he never looks like taking a wicket.

Clark in for Hilfy and Lee in for Siddle. add whatever spinner comes out on top and Symonds for the Ashes as the all-rounder. thats the way to go for me

No way. Lee is done in my opinion. Keep Siddle in, bring in Clark for Hilfenhaus. Symonds is also done and they should just play a batsman.

swifty_147;339196 said:
He doesn't have to have an in-swinger, (although if he did it would be dangerous) all he needs is a straight one.
He should bowl 3 good out-swingers and then hold the ball across the seam and put it on off stump, I think that type of delivery would get alot of batsmen in trouble.

Thoughts?

Spot on!

As for Boris' thoughts, Lee took 300 wickets by bowling bloody fast, bowling in just about the best pace conditions (Australia) in the world most of the time and being able to swing the ball not to mention the pressure from the other end from Warne, McGrath and others. He was a pretty good bowlers but time runs out for us all. He has been found out now he's lost his pace. He has lost his normally good seam position of late (was a rabble in India) and hence his out-swinger. I am hoping he can get smarter in his comeback like Lillie did. I do think he can get back if he does it right. He, like Symonds must play a lot of domestic cricket and earn their spots. So far Symonds has done nothing since returning to domestic cricket.

Lee as a swing bowler will edge out Hilfenhaus unless Hilfy gets some more confidence and smarten up and bowl with variation and use that good movement he can get.

North is our all rounder. McDonald can't bat, unless he gets better at playing the short and short of a length deliveries.

gbatman;339637 said:
Spot on!

As for Boris' thoughts, Lee took 300 wickets by bowling bloody fast, bowling in just about the best pace conditions (Australia) in the world most of the time. He has been found out now he's lost his pace. He has lost his normally good seam position of late (was a rabble in India) and hence his out-swinger. I am hoping he can get smarter in his comeback like Lillie did, but he, like Symonds must play a lot of domestic cricket and earn their spots.

Lee as a swing bowler will edge out Hilfenhaus unless Hilfy gets some more confidence and smarten up and bowl with variation and use that good movement he can get.

North is our all rounder. McDonald can't bat, unless he gets better at playing the short and short of a length deliveries.

Lee's comeback series where he was spearhead was good, he showed he does have a brain, it's just gone missing of late.

Mousey;339239 said:
No way. Lee is done in my opinion. Keep Siddle in, bring in Clark for Hilfenhaus. Symonds is also done and they should just play a batsman.

i agree siddle has to stay, hilfy going to have to make way for clark when he is ready to come back

Mousey;339239 said:

Yeah I agree too. We need to build our new generation, lee is to old, he's only got a few seasons left in him if he is lucky. Symonds is also done, I think he has lost his hunger, he just doesn't want it as much as other guys.

Lynno;339664 said:
Yeah I agree too. We need to build our new generation, lee is to old, he's only got a few seasons left in him if he is lucky. Symonds is also done, I think he has lost his hunger, he just doesn't want it as much as other guys.

I agree we need to build our new generation, but you can't just kick out players because they are getting a little old. If they are performing well then leave them there, after years of playing successfully for Australia I think they have earned the right to stay for another half season to prove their worth. Isn't that what happened with Hayden many times? They dropped him at first as a young new comer when he didn't perform, but as he went on to become one of the best opening batsmen Australia has seen, they left him in a little longer when he went through rough patches, and he would always come back.

Doesn't Lee not get this honour. The selectors need to ask themselves: were we going to drop him before he got injured because of his form? If they were then fine, drop him and let him battle it out at state level. If not, and they were going to let him play through a rough patch, then leave him in. Phase in the new comers so they get experience with some of the oldies to help them out. It may just be the case that some of them were in the wrong place at the wrong time and not get a spot because there is someone better. Use Hodge as an example, he should be in the side, but when you are competing against Ponting, he doesn't have the chance.

Sorry for writing so much, I just like to back up my arguments.

Mousey;339239 said:
ive changed my mind about lee, i wouldnt be writing him off just yet, he does have to prove himself again and IPL form certainly isnt ideal, i wish him luck, i wouldnt be writing symonds off either, hes the full package and a true allround cricketer and if he gets his batting sorted out then he picks himself me thinks.

distributer of pain;340759 said:
ive changed my mind about lee, i wouldnt be writing him off just yet, he does have to prove himself again and IPL form certainly isnt ideal, i wish him luck, i wouldnt be writing symonds off either, hes the full package and a true allround cricketer and if he gets his batting sorted out then he picks himself me thinks.

spot on there. i totally agree with that.

Symonds just seems to have that x factor. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but think of all the games that Australia has lost, then check to see if Roys in the team. normally he isnt. even if he scored 2 and bowled ordinarily he just seems to motivate a team home. and he generally only performs when he needs to, like bowling to the vics in the SS final, he was great. his batting hasn't been that bad lately either, he just hasn't been scoring. When you compare it against everyone else in the bulls he isn't that far behind.

plus who do you have thats an extra great fielder in the aussie team? sure theres Hussey, Clark, Ponting, Hughes etc but as good as they are I don't think you can compare them to Symonds. and Clark is damn lazy when hes not around.

Boris;340875 said:
spot on there. i totally agree with that.

Symonds just seems to have that x factor. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but think of all the games that Australia has lost, then check to see if Roys in the team. normally he isnt. even if he scored 2 and bowled ordinarily he just seems to motivate a team home. and he generally only performs when he needs to, like bowling to the vics in the SS final, he was great. his batting hasn't been that bad lately either, he just hasn't been scoring. When you compare it against everyone else in the bulls he isn't that far behind.

plus who do you have thats an extra great fielder in the aussie team? sure theres Hussey, Clark, Ponting, Hughes etc but as good as they are I don't think you can compare them to Symonds. and Clark is damn lazy when hes not around.
symonds is the best allround fieldsman in the world IMO

yes he is. have you seen the amount of run outs he has gotten. i cant remember the number but its the most in the world. which is a lot.

Back