How come i cant bounce a cricket ball???

petersiddle09

How come i cant bounce a cricket ball???

Hello i am 16. i am 5;8 and a fast bowler. i cant seem to bounch the ball, i can only get it about half stump height. please help. i dont really bring my left arm throught really hard and pull down. i am a right hand bowler..:mad:

Re: How come i cant bounce a cricket ball???

Could be many reasons, from the ball to the pitch to your action.

A bouncer for many is a real effort ball, something that they really have to throw themselves into. You really need to imagine that you're trying to bury your shoulders into the pitch, that's the sort of force that you'll be using.

I can't bowl a bouncer, and I don't need to. You've got to remember mate, you can set batsmen up without the short one, play to your strength and youll see wickets come.

My attempted bouncers sit up at chest height and scream "Hit me". Play to your strengths.

Most people I know who can bowl a bounce bowl a terrible bounce that gets smacked, I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, if your bowling it at half stump height it's probably skidding on, which, used well, can be a great asset.

I'm a pace bowler as well and am a couple of inches taller than you so what would work for me may work for you.

Make sure you're standing tall and not falling away when you bowl. As Mas mentioned it really has to be an effort ball and you have to give it everything.

It took me a long time to get my bouncer right (It used to go for a boundary every time I bowled it) so just keep working on it.

I'm 6'2" almost 6'3" and I still have to put a heck of alot of effort into bowling a bouncer, even at winter nets on a hard surface with a fairly new ball I had to put alot of effort in to get it to bounce. It's not an easy delivery to bowl, the 1 I did bowl at nets last week was a cracker though, the ball got high and then followed him, and all he could do was get his arm in the way and it cracked him high on the shoulder. Was a very enjoyable ball to bowl, I can see why geniune fast bowlers enjoy bowling bouncers.

Agree with King pieterson it is fun to have people hopping around,,,, im 6ft 3 nearly 6 ft 4 and i don't have problems with bowling bouncers,,, my mate on otherhand is about 6ft and isnt slow but nt as fast as me but he can't get a bouncer to get over my waste even in indoors if he hits the concrete.... i think its to do with the force/weight(same thing ino) u put on the ball because when he bounces it he pushes it rather then throwing his body weight into it whereas i just put my weight behind the ball and it gets high,,,, so yer make sure your burying your shoulder into the ground wen u want to bowl and throw your weight onto the ball

king pieterson got it on the head. you need to be of goodpace to even bother with bouncers. how many wckets to see even great bowlers get with bouncers. its a low percentage wicket ball that if not used wisely can cost runs galore. my advice to young guys is get line and lenght perfected first, as you grow to a good height and if you produce good pace then start practising bouncers. dont even consider them unless you have real good pace. get them wrong on turf and you will get smacked. we all wanna bowl a good bouncer but not if its going to cost runs.

i dont want to bowl bounchers. as i clearly stated i want to be able to bounche it over the stumps just out side off stump.

crktluva;331034 said:
king pieterson got it on the head. you need to be of goodpace to even bother with bouncers. how many wckets to see even great bowlers get with bouncers. its a low percentage wicket ball that if not used wisely can cost runs galore. my advice to young guys is get line and lenght perfected first, as you grow to a good height and if you produce good pace then start practising bouncers. dont even consider them unless you have real good pace. get them wrong on turf and you will get smacked. we all wanna bowl a good bouncer but not if its going to cost runs.

The bouncer's not really a wicket taking ball anyway tbh, it's primarly used as a set-up ball, to worry the batsman, to make their foot movement tentative, and make them play back in the crease, therefore making the full, straight swinging delivery far more effective. It's only if you have genuine pace that you'll get wickets from batsmen miss hooking and knocking the ball straight in the air.

As for PeterSiddle09's post, I don't think that's a bad thing. Being a low, skiddy type bowler can have it's advantages, as if you've got decent enough pace it can appear to the batsman that the ball is skidding on far quicker, which can get them playing late. Could be to do with pitches as well, what sort of surfaces do you play on? Are they low and slow?

petersiddle09;332338 said:
i dont want to bowl bounchers. as i clearly stated i want to be able to bounche it over the stumps just out side off stump.

Could be any number of reasons, from a low delivery point, to a lack of pace, to the pitches used. Even your grip could play a part.

Or you simply might need to bowl a half-metre shorter if you want to get the ball over the stumps - but bear in mind that that might give batsmen too much time and/or take away from the effect of any movement you get.

breeno;330926 said:
I can't bowl a bouncer, and I don't need to. You've got to remember mate, you can set batsmen up without the short one, play to your strength and youll see wickets come.

My attempted bouncers sit up at chest height and scream "Hit me". Play to your strengths.

Ditto. Bowl stump to stump, he misses you hit. Whenever I've dropped even slightly short at my pace/height I've got hammered.

i learned that your drop your front arm earlier, release the ball a little later and just bend your back

not sure how this helps but I am 172ish cm (yes screw feat :p) and if I try I can pretty much get a bouncer over the batters shoulders all I need to work on is keeping the pace up a bit more.

The other day i bowled a bouncer to a guy taller than me nearly took his head off ;)

I'm about 186/7cm, and can bowl bouncers, but im not super quick and get hammered 3/5 times i try it. Its not worth it IMO

Instead, i just go for accuracy and bowl between middle and off, and swing the ball and this works for me.

also i noticed you wanted to bounce the ball over the stumps. Why? just clean bowl 'em or go for the LBW. at least with bowled you dont have to worry about drops.

Nothing much helpful so far.

What is your action like? Just brief description, mostly the release point, direction of the arm at that point and front on/side on and follow through.

Another aspect no-one seems to have mentioned is the ball. Are you talking about bouncing the ball during your own practice sessions or at matches? Either way I don't suppose you'll be using either the top price Kookaburra or Dukes balls which have far more bounce than your average cheapo balls. That's something to consider?

someblokecalleddave;380593 said:
Another aspect no-one seems to have mentioned is the ball. Are you talking about bouncing the ball during your own practice sessions or at matches? Either way I don't suppose you'll be using either the top price Kookaburra or Dukes balls which have far more bounce than your average cheapo balls. That's something to consider?

Or on the other hand the situation may be the same with an expensive ball. For example I have a $20 (third of the price of a Kookaburra Test match ball) cheapo Gray Nicholls ball that is the hardest ball I have ever seen. I bowled a bouncer at least two times the height of the batsman with it. I get natural bounce and the bouncer is quite literally the only ball I can bowl (damn ;) ) but even that is way over the top.

Back