How I would fix Australian cricket

Should Ponting be dropped as Australia test captain

• Total voters

marty344

Hi everyone,

It appears that Australian cricket at the moment is on a downward slide, especially in test cricket.
If i were given the reigns of Australian cricket and was wold to put Australia back on the map as the world's best cricketing nation here are some of the things i would do.

1) I would make it that no player could play more than one form of the game for Australia. Therefore players could only be picked to play test cricket, ODI's or T20. That way you wouldn't have the debacle we've had in players such as Ricky Ponting and Michael Clarke playing all forms of the game just because they're the Captain and Vice Captain of the Test side. And you wouldnt ahve such nonsense as oplayers like David Hussey who may well be goodn at ODI cricket but are dismal at T20 (does David Hussey even know what T20 is all about? eg scoring at more than a one a ball)

2) This may sound totally out there but i would have players chosen to represent Australia based on form and ability not on reputaion, again Ponting and Clarke come to mind.

3) I would give Ponting his marching orders as Test captain. Not only has his batting been dismal over the last few years, he has lost many series. He is the ONLY test captain to lose three Ashes series, the first captain to lose at Lords in a very long time, South Africa won here in the first time in ages, and he's captained a lot of losing One Day series in Australia. On top of that his bahviour during the Ashes series has been discraceful especially arguring with the umpires for a long period of time. That in itself should have seen the end of his captaincy, but i get the feeling he is going to stay on for a long time. Maybe he can lose us another Ashes series in a few years time.

4) Heres an idea for the T20 Big Bash how about we pick players that are AUSTRALIAN?! What on earth are we doing having players like Gayle and Bravo playing for State sides?? How about we actually pick Australian players?? Having these West Indies players as great s they are and as much as they attract big crowds is downright cheating in my books.

5) In the ashes series i would not have allowed Nathan Howitz to be dropped the way he was. It utterl;y discraceful the way he was treated with all the years of service he has given to australian cricket. And his replacement Smith did ************ all in my books. And why Phil Huges was picked over a more experienced opening batsmen in the middle of the Ashes series is bewildering. As is dropping Johnson for a match only to bring him back for the rest of the series.

Thats all from me for now. What does everyone think of my ideas? If you were given the job of fixing Australian crciket, espeacially test cricket and T20 which we seem to be hopeless at (it seems that One Dayers we can still do well at).

By the way a big congratulions to Shane Watson for his knock in the One Dayer the other night. However doesnt it seem odd that he scored more in a One Dayer than he did in all the Ashes tests innings?

Hi everyone,

It appears that Australian cricket at the moment is on a downward slide, especially in test cricket.
If i were given the reigns of Australian cricket and was wold to put Australia back on the map as the world's best cricketing nation here are some of the things i would do.

1) I would make it that no player could play more than one form of the game for Australia. Therefore players could only be picked to play test cricket, ODI's or T20. That way you wouldn't have the debacle we've had in players such as Ricky Ponting and Michael Clarke playing all forms of the game just because they're the Captain and Vice Captain of the Test side. And you wouldnt ahve such nonsense as oplayers like David Hussey who may well be goodn at ODI cricket but are dismal at T20 (does David Hussey even know what T20 is all about? eg scoring at more than a one a ball)

2) This may sound totally out there but i would have players chosen to represent Australia based on form and ability not on reputaion, again Ponting and Clarke come to mind.

Dave Hussey is far from a terrible t20 player, out of form I'll grant you but the Australian selectors are not alone in thinking he can play that game (IPL???)

You 2 points don't necessarily work together:
1 only allow players to play in one form of the game; and
2 pick sides on form

Shane Watson vertainly shold be in the test side, the odi side and the t20 side on form and he is. Which sides would you drop him from?

3) I would give Ponting his marching orders as Test captain. Not only has his batting been dismal over the last few years, he has lost many series. He is the ONLY test captain to lose three Ashes series, the first captain to lose at Lords in a very long time, South Africa won here in the first time in ages, and he's captained a lot of losing One Day series in Australia. On top of that his bahviour during the Ashes series has been discraceful especially arguring with the umpires for a long period of time. That in itself should have seen the end of his captaincy, but i get the feeling he is going to stay on for a long time. Maybe he can lose us another Ashes series in a few years time.

Pretty sick of hearing of his behaviour, which is not that bad, as a reason to strip him of captaincy. All cricketers have flaws and when you are copping a hiding you'd expect to see them come out. The fact that he has a bit of fight in him unlike Clarke is soething to be admired.

All good to pack himoff to oblivion but who takes over. A fill in for a couple of years is something I have no faith in, and Clarke is far from mentally strong enough for the job.
4) Heres an idea for the T20 Big Bash how about we pick players that are AUSTRALIAN?! What on earth are we doing having players like Gayle and Bravo playing for State sides?? How about we actually pick Australian players?? Having these West Indies players as great s they are and as much as they attract big crowds is downright cheating in my books.

Completely pointless.
5) In the ashes series i would not have allowed Nathan Howitz to be dropped the way he was. It utterl;y discraceful the way he was treated with all the years of service he has given to australian cricket. And his replacement Smith did badger all in my books. And why Phil Huges was picked over a more experienced opening batsmen in the middle of the Ashes series is bewildering. As is dropping Johnson for a match only to bring him back for the rest of the series.

I agree with you here, we chanced a dream of finding a wicket taking spinner from nowhere... it didn't work and we must move on from that. We haven't seen much of Beer yet but was encouraged by his first go in a badly outplayed side.
Thats all from me for now. What does everyone think of my ideas? If you were given the job of fixing Australian crciket, espeacially test cricket and T20 which we seem to be hopeless at (it seems that One Dayers we can still do well at).

By the way a big congratulions to Shane Watson for his knock in the One Dayer the other night. However doesnt it seem odd that he scored more in a One Dayer than he did in all the Ashes tests innings?

I hope you don't think I am being harsh but we all have our opinions.

Tests are the only thing that needs fixing. The rest is unimportant, a good competition of players biting at the heals of the incumbant test players will produce quality cricketers.

Back