How Strong Is Strong Enough For Cricket?

I'm clearly late to the conversation, but reading through the comments here and in the article that's being talked about made me want to give a very general broad commentary and summary.

1) Comparing the U.S sport system/ culture to the Australian and U.K systems is difficult. S&C is viewed as an inseparable from achievement in the U.S but is seen as the 'cherry on top' in Australia (and I assume the U.K). You outlined that, but it's hard to stress enough.

1a) Cricket constantly struggles with a culture where people don't want to be seen as 'doing too much other work'. Wanting to achieve at cricket and doing non-Cricket specific things to fulfill that is seen as odd. This has been consistent with every level of cricket that I've been involved with to this point (grassroots through to district). Hours of batting or bowling is fine. Long distance running is fine. Weightlifting is... weird? Even at the lowest levels, individuals that play sport in the United States view themselves as 'athletes'. In Australia we are 'sports players' or 'exercisers'. I imagine it is the same in the U.K. This cultural difference is enough to explain a lot, I think.

2) 'Strong enough' for sport is whatever point where the non-sport specific training cost outweighs sport specific performance benefits. The cost-benefit relationship is unique for each individual. I think this is self explanatory really. A person will benefit a lot and not need to invest that much time into achieving a 400lb/ 180kg deadlift. The athletic benefit that a person derives from developing that 400lb/180kg deadlift into a 500lb/ 230kg deadlift likely isn't enough to justify the training economy that will need to be devoted to it (in terms of training time and recovery). Maintaining the original deadlift and focusing on other requirements (single leg work, developing a 125kg powerclean, etc) will be a better use of training time.

3) Related to 1a) and 2); cricketers (as with most sports) suffer far too much from appeals to authority rather than logic and rationality. Many elite athletes excel despite of their training regimes. Again, many elite athletes achieve despite of what they actually do. People want to know what the best are doing in order to be like the best and what they miss is everything that the best did to get to that point or what the best could have done to be even better.

Wow. They couldn't be three more generalized points buttttt they were just general feelings that I thought ought to be added. Not necessarily linked to this topic, but that stemmed out of my reading here and on that deadlifting article.

"It says a lot that I was able to get back so quickly this time after a hamstring strain... My inner-core strength used to be really poor, but I've been working on getting that strong. I'm doing a lot of Pilates and Yoga Cricket stretches. I'm doing less gym work and more running to get my body used to what it needs to do." (Shane Watson)

http://pilates4sport.com/sports/pilates-for-cricketers/

I just came across this and thought I'd poke it in here. I must admit I didn't get into this conversation because it needed a lot of writing I felt and I didn't have the time back in Sept. But I felt this was related.

Hi Brian,

I came from a similar background, played most sports at school age with a bit of strength training and then moved on to powerlifting. Then a few years back having kid/relations playing cricket went back and got involved in the coaching and caught the bug again.. I've just finished mu ukcc2.5 and looking forward to doing the next level asap.

Realistically core strength exercises at body weight will do for most levels of cricket.. I've talked to a few of the elite players and coaches and more and more they talk about strong positions, in catching, batting and bowling and they all fall back to the same strength exercises.. squats, lunges, deadlifts, benchpress with some [side] planks thrown in.. the might throw in some olympic exercises as well.. BTW the standard close catching position [inc. wicket-keeping] being taught at elite level is actually what you or I would call the classic squat position or deadlift postion.. [see ]

Lee

There is no doubt in my mind that it is certainly a cultural/social issue rather than one of science. I think we can all agree that S&C is irrefutably proven to improve performance in cricket.

I do think there is a slow shift in attitudes though. There will always be the social players but the message to those taking the game a little more seriously is that you must get fit to play, not play to get fit. Certainly at my club nobody thinks i'm crazy for going to the gym or staying sober on Friday night before a big game. Warm ups are getting better, and players are not adverse to a bit of running at nets.

There are ways to combine training and fitness, it doesn't have to be a boot camp every week. Something as simple as high intensity fielding drills and nets where players bat in pairs and run will make a huge difference.

The issue of going to the gym is a lot more complex. In my opinion the only way to get really strong is under external resistance. Bodyweight can only get you so far: so if you want the S from S&C you need to go to the gym. However, a lot of people are reluctant; gyms are intimidating, they can cost a fortune, need motivation to go, and people associate them with insane trainers like bodybuilders. These are all valid, but they can also be overcome with enough will.

That's where you have to weigh up the costs/benefits. I feel there a gym is a no-brainer, but I have a different experience to gyms than 90% of cricketers at club level.

Back