How To Hit Big?

shahidpak

Hello,

Ive always been a batsman with a really solide defense. i could play all day and not get out without scoring or scoring a little. But i cant hit the ball very far i can drive it for four but i cant hit it in the air a lot. I know alor of people will say you shouldnt hit it in the air but because in club cricket we dont play test matches lol theres no point in blocking, everytime i want to hit i feel like its not in the right spot to hit and i dont feel comfortable. Any advice ?

Hello,

Ive always been a batsman with a really solide defense. i could play all day and not get out without scoring or scoring a little. But i cant hit the ball very far i can drive it for four but i cant hit it in the air a lot. I know alor of people will say you shouldnt hit it in the air but because in club cricket we dont play test matches lol theres no point in blocking, everytime i want to hit i feel like its not in the right spot to hit and i dont feel comfortable. Any advice ?

Not sure what club you are playing at but blocking is equally important in club crickete. For eg. i play 80 over an innings matches, and most sides get bowled out in 50 overs, so theres 30 overs still spare. My advice dont worry about it if you say you can drive the ball for 4 then that should be good enough. Focus on your strenghts.

Not sure what club you are playing at but blocking is equally important in club crickete. For eg. i play 80 over an innings matches, and most sides get bowled out in 50 overs, so theres 30 overs still spare. My advice dont worry about it if you say you can drive the ball for 4 then that should be good enough. Focus on your strenghts.
I know somebody would say that but i need to learn that skill too, and i will need that in my batting, for exemple if i come in 5 th with 2 overs remaining...

Hello,

Well your first statement contradicted itself so u kinda confused me. General tips to hitting well though, play the ball late as you can time it better.

Have a solid base as in dont be moving or stepping/leaning forward as you hit it, you should hit the ball in one stance. A good example is when you hit the ball after your bat swing you should stay in that spot like a statue.

Have a preffered/ premeditated shot. Like i know if the ball bowls short i will play a pull shot. If its full i will drive it. etc.

The rest i cant really say unfortunately we are all gifted in different things, some ppl have talent in hitting big nothing you can do about it.

Well your first statement contradicted itself so u kinda confused me. General tips to hitting well though, play the ball late as you can time it better.

Have a solid base as in dont be moving or stepping/leaning forward as you hit it, you should hit the ball in one stance. A good example is when you hit the ball after your bat swing you should stay in that spot like a statue.

Have a preffered/ premeditated shot. Like i know if the ball bowls short i will play a pull shot. If its full i will drive it. etc.

The rest i cant really say unfortunately we are all gifted in different things, some ppl have talent in hitting big nothing you can do about it.
Thnx i meant very far in the air btw

This has helped me. Realised that it's probably my Shane Watson like front foot lunge that prevents me from getting any power on the ball.

That is a great idea boogiespinner; we use kwik cricket stumps with just the one middle 'pole' topped with a blue marker cone. The ball sits on top of the cone.

By the way, The Don scored six test match sixes; five against England!!

Well I need to buy two tees now! I guess there are cheaper ones than the g-tee but that has a nice low attachment which looks ideal for front foot drives.

For practising angled shots, the angle the ball is hit from a tee from a given shot is going to be different to that in actual play. For example a shot to extra cover from a tee might go to point or behind square in actual play from a fast bowler.

Back