How to practice Bowling Googly

n3n

Hi, I am desperately looking for some tips or drills to bowl a googly, I am finding it difficult to release the ball from back of my arm, no mater what I bowl it seems to be spinning away from batsman. Appreciate any help on this.

Hi, I am desperately looking for some tips or drills to bowl a googly, I am finding it difficult to release the ball from back of my arm, no mater what I bowl it seems to be spinning away from batsman. Appreciate any help on this.

Can you bowl a good Top Spinner? You need to learn that first, it's far too much of a leap to go from Leg_breaks to Googly's. Get a good consistent Top-Spinner first and you'll know what to do next as it's just a progression of going around the loop.

Hey mate

Have you tried looking through some previous threads about this topic? If so here are some pointers from my experience and from what I have learnt over the years, keep in mind there are people who might be able to guide you better but this is something that works for me:

1. Start with under arm over 5-7 yards (I believe this provides a greater learning experience), this will help you see where you're going wrong releasing the ball, don't underestimate this step however simple this might seem.

2. Then move to over arm increasing the distance gradually once you feel its coming out okay from the back of the hand, eventually moving to full 22 yards. Then, from the bowlers end and with only one or two steps, start giving it a flick from the back of the hand focusing on just turning the ball and not really caring what line/length it's landing on, just make sure you're getting leverage.

3. Once you feel the flick is getting considerably better(doesn't have to be perfect), start incorporating some wronguns into your normal practice(make sure you don't over try or over do it, this will result in frustration trust me!), bowl naturally maybe one wrongun every two overs and then increase gradually where you can bowl one wrongun every over(it's important not to over do your wrong-un because it might end up affecting your leg spin). If you feel your line/length is off/the ball is not coming out right, it's a great idea to slow it down, this is something that works for me most of the time. Over time you'll notice subtle improvements in your wrongun and you'll feel more confident over time.

Also, spin bowling is about consistency and hard work, you can't master it in one month, two months or three months. Give it up to a year to notice any considerable differences, a growth mindset and a learning attitude goes a long way in this craft(i've learnt this the hard way) :)

Good luck and let us now how you went :)

Back