How to reduce the pain of stopping the ball

scotslass

How to reduce the pain of stopping the ball

I find that the ball well hurts when I stop it in the field. Is there anything I can try to reduce the pain?

Re: How to reduce the pain of stopping the ball

Use your hands? :p

(If I wasn't a mod I would leave it at that)

It's something I have never had a problem with, I suppose you just have to cushion the blow? Maybe just get someone to throw a cricket ball at you to work out the best way to stop the pain?

Probably the best way is to just keep on stopping the ball. The more you do it, the more the hands get used to it.

If in doubt try some of the padded gloves, but only in training.

Most of the time, the only stops that really hurt are the ones that are done wrong. Like jamming your finger down on top of the ball or taking it with a bony part of your hand. I've found that the better your technique is the less likely it is to hurt.

I worked on my hand skills during last winter and I think it helped a lot, both for toughening up your hands, and for increasing the chance that you'll use good technique. Try throwing a hockey ball against a wall catching it until it's comfortable. Then step it up by throwing it at an angle so you have to move to get to it. After a while start using a lacrosse ball - it comes back much faster and is still more or less the right weight.

Sure you'll get a few bruises on your hand, but after a while you get used to it and you'll be taking the ball more cleanly.

its getting your hands used to the impact, i find after keeping for a season my hands go soft through the winter and i have to get them back in the swing of things again!

The hands often 'smart' if the ball is taken without sufficient giving or if the hands are cold. Your coach should be able to help you with the former. If you do not have a coach, practice giving from all catches; is this usually a problem with high catches only? The latter depends on whether it's a circulation issue or our lovely summer weather ;)

During the 2005-06 season; i had hurt my index & middle finger of my left hand while taking a rapid throw from a cover fielder.
That damaged my spinning fingers so much that today also i am at times reluctant to collect the ball at speed.

My right middle finger is still hurt form a fracture / break mid season! ive played through it! but learnt to take the ball differently to stop it hurting!

mas cambios;265452 said:
Probably the best way is to just keep on stopping the ball. The more you do it, the more the hands get used to it.

If in doubt try some of the padded gloves, but only in training.

I've just been fishing around for somewhere to ask this question that relates to this. I've just watched a video with Graham Thorpe waffling on about something or other, but in the background there was a bunch of lads throwing the ball back and forth to each other in a sports hall, you see the same on cricket pitches on the tele. But they're all wearing baseball gloves - what is that all about? Why do they do that of what benefit is it to you when you're training? Is the throwing that's the focus of the drill or the timing of the catch and the cushioning of the ball by drawing your hand away from the ball as you catch it? (I think I've answered the question myself DOH!

Depends on the drill but in the case you mention, the aim was probably throwing technique.

It's pretty important to protect the hands when fielding, especially when you're training to pro levels as you may be catching/stopping a few hundred balls a day, even more if a keeper. This is why you'll see them wearing padded gloves or using baseball mitts.

Try, getting behind the ball and sort of cushioning it by bringing it towards you.
Don't really know how to explain it though:confused:

Back