How to tell if a new bat is over-oiled?

Whos_asking99

How to tell if a new bat is over-oiled?

I bought a new bat today, a Kookaburra Fiery Beast, and I'm very pleased with my purchase. Might upload some pictures later.

I know that it is necessary to oil a bat, but not to over oil it...and despite all the searching I've done, I cant find any information on how to tell if a bat has been over oiled?

I'm very nervous about oiling the bat, as I dont wanna muck it up, and I know how much oil to use, but I want to be aware of what to look out for.

So, how do you tell if a new bat has been over oiled?

Re: How to tell if a new bat is over-oiled?

post up some pics mate and we can tell if its over-oiled.

if you're worried just give it 1 or 2 layers of oil but dont overdo it.
if its really light in colour it usually means it needs a decent amount of oiling.

but most bats you buy only need a few layers of oil.

Thanks for the answer lethal, much appreciated. I've given it 1 layer of oil this afternoon, I'll leave the 2nd layer till tommorw morning. I'll upload some pics after that has dried to get an opinoin.

I've heard that to over oil a bat you need to almost drown the thing, but you know 3 coats should do it, just enough to get the willow a nice colour, then after every season give it a light sand and re oil and your set...

A couple of coats should be fine. An over oiled bat tends to look very dark and stinks of linseed.

Thanks for all the answers.

I was asking more out of curiosity, but its helpful to know what to look out for.

I've given the face of the bat 3 light coats and gave the edge's 2 coats.

Must say I am pleased with the performance of the bat, wasn't able to get any solid shots out of the sweet spot (only glances), but thats entirely my fault.

Back