ICL planning a makeover

AB

ICL planning a makeover

A year after its launch, the Indian Cricket League (ICL), is planning a makeover with significant changes to its structure and schedule. The revised blueprint, revealed by its business head, Himanshu Mody, includes matches between international XIs, four-day matches and opening up team ownership to minority stakeholders.

The changes are being announced weeks before the launch of the Indian Premier League, backed by the Indian board and launched as a hostile response to the ICL.

"We will soon be having matches between international teams like an India XI, a Pakistan XI, an Australia XI and even a World XI," Mody told Cricinfo. "This is a very distinct possibility that will turn into a reality in the very near future, as soon as this year."

They already have a Pakistani team but they'll need to hire a lot more overseas players if they want more international teams. This might increase the interest of the people in ICL especially if the matches are entertaining, but I don't think this will benefit Indian domestic cricket, which they claim is the purpose of the ICL.

Re: ICL planning a makeover

As long as they stick to their word and include a number of young Indian players in the normal squads then there is no big issue.

However, there is a danger that it could just become a circus for retired international players, much like the senior tours in golf and tennis - sure they still want to win but having fun is also a priority. Will have to be careful how they structure it.

I'm sure the IPL will view this as a panic move though.

ICL has to get current international players not retired players if they want it to work. Now I dont think this will be a good move because now they will become rival to ICC and not just BCCI.

I think this move shows that ICL are after the money. You could argue that they need the money for development of Indian domestic cricket but that remains to be seen. If they are going to have international teams then they should tour around the world to make it a success. I know it would cost a lot but surely Zee have enough money for that. It will be a risk though. They should also improve the quality of the telecast. They need to get rid of the mid innings show and use their money for something better.

Lol, they announced a World Series for next year or later this year (not sure when exactly) with three INTERNATIONAL teams. What a joke.

The three teams are:

- India
- Pakistan
- World XI

I seriously think this ICL thing is turning into a real circus day by day. In a few years we might have the ICC internationals, world cups, champions trophy, etc and an ICL world cup, champions trophy, etc. And who knows IPL might jump this way too. What is going on with cricket these days? I mean seriously...

they are trying to get people more involved and support their country. tbh i think no one is going to be interested in it. they are not providing anything new. there is already a lot of exciting cricket on television. they need to do something thats never been done before like the world series cricket did.

Actually I read that the introduction of a Pakistani team has increased the interest of the ICL in Pakistan. Well its understandable because their national team is hardly playing any cricket atm. But I dont think teams for other countries like Australia, England etc will work.

This could work. That Lahore Badshahs are getting are lot of support. I think the idea of three teams is good but they should not do more than that.

if pakistani fans are supporting this team ahead of their own national team then it just shows how sad the situation over there is. they are getting controversy after controversy and no play at all. i guess they cant be blamed for it.

Back