If i dont oil my bat will it break or crack?

petersiddle09

If i dont oil my bat will it break or crack?

I have cricket tranning tommorow and i am playing in two weeks. I'm new to having a good english willow bat. Just say i went to the nets with out any oil of my bad will it snap crack split etc. I use wood worum tourch..

In the title i ment to say bat

Re: If i dont oil my bad will it break or crack?

i didn't oil my first bat and it lasted about a season.
it showed a few cracks that i had to fix but last game a big chunk came out.
I recommend you oil it though.

petersiddle09;321136 said:
I have cricket tranning tommorow and i am playing in two weeks. I'm new to having a good english willow bat. Just say i went to the nets with out any oil of my bad will it snap crack split etc. I use wood worum tourch..

In the title i ment to say bat

Not a lot will happen to it. It may get a bit dry and be prone to water damage a little more than others but it's not a major issue.

You oil a bat largely to seal in the natural moisture of the wood, which helps to give the bat it's 'spring'. Not oiling may make it more prone to cracks especially in a dry climate.

If you can apply some oil to it, then it would be beneficial but not the end of the world if you can't.

most decent bats these days contain enough oil. but you should give it an oil when new, let it dry for a few days then make sure it has been pressed and rolled or knocked in for a good 8 hours. spent at least 2hrs just hitting the toe in as this is where most splits occur. also put a cover on it, every bat manufacturer in the world reccomends covers, dont listen to any fool who says covers are crap. even ring the bat manufacturer and they are usualyy pretty happy to tlak with you. get the edges on your steel bath tub if ya have one and press hard with the edge on a 45 degree angle, no bath tub use something else wooden. you want the edges to compress the timber so they eventually look rounded, this helps the bat not split up the sides after getting edges over a period of time. if in doubt about anything always speak to the manufacturer first or look up their bat prep guide on the web.

Back