If you are good enough you are old enough?

TonyM

New guidance from the ECB re kids playing in adult cricket here (sorry couldnt find a link on the main ECB site)
http://www.norfolkcricket.co.uk/downloads/articles/product_506_466.pdf

Personally I cant think that many 11 year olds would benefit from playing in adult cricket, no matter how good they are. If they are playing county age group cricket my guess is that they are probably getting 'enough' cricket but perhaps I just dont recognise lads who fit into this profile. That said I do like the footnote that 'Children who are just used as fielders will not fully experience the game' but fear that those who are following the rules would already be adopting this approach but those that dont will not be swayed by directives coming down from the ECB.

New guidance from the ECB re kids playing in adult cricket here (sorry couldnt find a link on the main ECB site)
http://www.norfolkcricket.co.uk/downloads/articles/product_506_466.pdf

Personally I cant think that many 11 year olds would benefit from playing in adult cricket, no matter how good they are. If they are playing county age group cricket my guess is that they are probably getting 'enough' cricket but perhaps I just dont recognise lads who fit into this profile. That said I do like the footnote that 'Children who are just used as fielders will not fully experience the game' but fear that those who are following the rules would already be adopting this approach but those that dont will not be swayed by directives coming down from the ECB.

Tony
I captain the 4th XI at my club, which is regarded as the entry point for colts playing adult cricket. The youngest players I would select would be from the U13s and these would need to be star players. Strong colts would start at U14, and OK/goodish ones at U15. That said one opposition club had an ex exceptional U12 county leg-spinner who not only played against us but bowled 17 overs straight through! One other local club tell me they regularly field U11/12 colts in their senior teams, partly to manage the numbers, but they do say "it's good experience for them".
Personally I would prefer U11/12/13 to be playing friendly and intra-club matches rather than adult cricket as these matches can be organised to ensure the priority is the youngsters enjoyment and development needs.

Iam 14 And I would love to play in senior grades just to have the experience
That's good - not all colts want to play senior level. Suggest you make your club aware that you are keen to play. Make yourself known to the captain of the entry level senior grade team, then go to the relevant practice sessions to show them what you can do.

Yer I go to 17s training and sometimes bowl to a grades and face a graders while batting but they don't bowl full pace to me so hopefully with my good form I'll get in as a super sub or something :)

Back