Improving Reflexes

Re: Improving Reflexes

David's articles are great and will definitely send you in the right direction but I was wondering if you had a particular scenario in mind James or whether it was general reactions. For instance, are your reactions poor or do you just need to react faster to certain situations, for example, whilst batting or in the field?

Have you got any tips on how to get into position early for a bouncer. Like how to spot it earlier, so you can get into position quicker?

Liz Ward said:
David's articles are great and will definitely send you in the right direction but I was wondering if you had a particular scenario in mind James or whether it was general reactions. For instance, are your reactions poor or do you just need to react faster to certain situations, for example, whilst batting or in the field?
Because i open i generally face the fastest bowlers and when i come upon a genuinly quick one i struggle to get into position for the cut and pull. i can usually pick line and length fairly quickly but i play and miss alot with those cross bat shots. i heard someone comment that i didnt have quick reflexes

James, out of curiosity, do you play on artificial pitches?

How soon do you attempt the cut and pull?

Are you sure these are the appropriate shots to play?

Just to remind you and those who have not read my reply in the batting forum:

Liz Ward said:
I am a great believer of playing oneself in, however, this should start long before you stand at the crease!

So many batsmen sit in the changing rooms, chat to their mates, eat, drink etc and pay little attention to the bowlers until they face them. You should be studying them closely, looking for weaknesses and strengths from the offset.

Then when you walk in, off, on and straight drives are safe shots to play as the bat is behind the ball for the longest amount of time, compared to other shots. Play a straight bat with good technique whilst judging the correct length of the drive and you will not get out. Try to stroke the ball; not hit it hard at the beginning.

The flick off the legs is a safe shot for good batsmen to accumulate runs. The ball is outside the leg stump so you cannot get bowled or LBW. Again, stroke the ball.

Similarly, leg glances are safe against a fast bowler; use the pace of the ball to steer it towards fine leg.

If you are confident with the cut, it is useful to put away a bad ball against a fast bowler but do not use it early, on a wicket with uneven bounce.

Only use the pull to put away a bad ball from a spin bowler on a wicket with true bounce.

Leave the cover drives until you get your eye in and you are used to the pace and bounce of the pitch.

If you are only accumulating 5-10 runs from 10-20 overs anyway, you do not have anything to lose. Get your first run, if you wish, then go for it.

As an opener, you will have little opportunity to assess the bowlers before you go in so it is even more important for you to bat proactively rather than reactively. Easy to say, difficult to do, I know. It sounds as though you think and react quick enough so I would imagine diffidence is the cause. This is where confidence really does come in; the confidence to commit.

Could it be more of a case that you see what's happening quick enough, know what you have to do but something is not firing quite quick enough? If so, you probably need to work on your mental skills preparation. Even a nano second hesitation can cause you to miss the ball, or not hit it with sufficient strength.

How long have you been opener?

How do you feel about playing District?

Sean said:
Have you got any tips on how to get into position early for a bouncer. Like how to spot it earlier, so you can get into position quicker?

There are two parts to this question Sean:

Firstly, spotting the bouncer; this gets easier with practise. I am afraid it can also depend on the bowler and conditions. I have seen some balls that defy all the laws of physics!

Secondly, how to get into position quicker; I would concentrate on this bit - easier :D Playing proactively means expecting anything, including bouncers, even when it does not seem possible.

David's articles will, as I said earlier, get you moving in the right direction. Also, the fitter the body, the fitter the mind! I like boxing for this. Have you watched a boxer training? For such heavy guys, they are incredibly light on their feet [skipping helps here too] and can move with lightening speed with little effort.

Post this question on the batting forum too; hopefully you'll get some interesting replies there.

As Liz says, spot it as early as possible, to do this you need to practise and have a good chat with a quick bowler from your team.

Secondly, how to play it and get into position is easy, practise.

Liz Ward said:
James, out of curiosity, do you play on artificial pitches?

How soon do you attempt the cut and pull?

Are you sure these are the appropriate shots to play?

As an opener, you will have little opportunity to assess the bowlers before you go in so it is even more important for you to bat proactively rather than reactively.  Easy to say, difficult to do, I know.  It sounds as though you think and react quick enough so I would imagine diffidence is the cause.  This is where confidence really does come in; the confidence to commit. 

Could it be more of a case that you see what's happening quick enough, know what you have to do but something is not firing quite quick enough?  If so, you probably need to work on your mental skills preparation.  Even a nano second hesitation can cause you to miss the ball, or not hit it with sufficient strength.

How long have you been opener?

How do you feel about playing District?
yes i do play on artificial pitches.

generally after i have gotten off the mark, probably not until the 2nd over i face.

well its quite difficult to drive on the artificial pitches because of the bounce and the fact that the bowlers always drop it short so they are a few of the shots i can play 'safely'

I'm probably more confident now than ever before, but that said i haven't had a chance to bat in the past week

i have only been an opener this season (5 games, 6 innings')

I'm really pumped about playing for districts, i hope i get in, (2 games of cricket a week :D :D)
Thanks Liz, see what you can make from those answers. and by-the-way i have read your reply in the batting forum but i have yet to put into practise

From your original post James, I had a feeling that you played on artificial; it's a different game!

Both you and Sean are experiencing the same difficulties but from what you tell me, you seem to be doing everything right.

I do not think the problem is with your reactions but with your ABCs. That does sound a little crazy, especially when I say that I think it is a problem with the way you react to your reactions ;)

The importance of agility, balance, coordination and speed are greatly underestimated in cricket. These are qualities that should be taught and mastered before anybody even considers putting a bat in your hand; not terribly realistic I know!

Have you ever thought about taking up non-contact sparring? It is an excellent form of exercise but it teaches:

Agility - you have to be able to move economically; forwards, backwards, side to side;
Balance - ducking and diving;
Coordination - not just hand and feet but the whole body must coordinate to avoid stress injury;
Speed - not running speed but reaction speed and it conditions the feet to move, with speed and with little effort!

Think about it, you are a good age to start; just don't be tempted to try it with a partner. In the meantime, take up speed skipping.

Work on the commitment too. I believe you when you say you are confident but I suspect there is a little subconscious 'niggle' in the pipeline.

I hope everything goes well for the trials, please do let us know how they go. Not bad going for a guy who has only been playing for a year. Good luck :D

Thanks Liz :D
And btw i was taught by my dad, who was a good young cricketer destined for bigger things, till someone threw a tennis ball at his eye, partially blinding him. so virtually all the credit has to go to him

Back