India In Australia & One-day Tri Series (aus, Eng, Ind) 14/15

Australia have always played with verbal attacks, since I've been following cricket but its part of their strategy to win, and they do it with every team, friendly banter, nothing is wrong with it. The Indians on the other hand are just being plain old bullies! They're not trying to get under the opposing player's skin so he plays a bad shot or bowls a bad ball, instead they seem to think that they can do no wrong and that they own the opposing team. This type of bullying from India can never be condone!

Sadly the Aussie players are paying for the power the CA together with the ECB has handed the BCCI!

Yep, been good listening to him so far in this test. Have a feeling though we'll only hear him during games in Melbourne.

I'd be surprised if there's a result from here. India aren't that far behind and with the pitch still looking pretty good you'd say that a draw is looking the favoured result at the moment.

The Indians will feel as if they've done exceptionally well with a drawn test, will reflect and keep their heads up since they beat AUS 4-0!

I still think a draw is the likely result from here, that rain knocked out a fair amount of overs. Australia aren't far enough in front yet to declare, they'll need another 60 runs in my opinion to feel safe and will probably give themselves seven or eight overs in the morning for a quick dash for runs before declaring or alternatively be bowled out.

I still think a draw is the likely result from here, that rain knocked out a fair amount of overs. Australia aren't far enough in front yet to declare, they'll need another 60 runs in my opinion to feel safe and will probably give themselves seven or eight overs in the morning for a quick dash for runs before declaring or alternatively be bowled out.

An early start to day 5 then?

A draw wouldn't bother Australia I wouldn't imagine but I'm not sure how motivated India will ever be with Dhoni at the helm. He's a great one day player and captain for sure but not in Test cricket.

As some of you would know. I've been spending a bit of money recently, or have to set some aside for some upcoming expenditure. One of the effects of this has been not going to any day of this game. However the last day is $20. So off I go. See ya...

A draw wouldn't bother Australia I wouldn't imagine but I'm not sure how motivated India will ever be with Dhoni at the helm. He's a great one day player and captain for sure but not in Test cricket.

The Indians are limited, we must realise that this country has an overall poor record in test cricket since inception, despite poular beliefs, they have never been a powerhouse of test cricket nor will they ever produce a great team like SA, AUS, ENG, PAK or WI or as we are seeing NZ. MSD has probably been the most successful captain of India, and even now there is no option he is the best in India by far!

The Indians are limited, we must realise that this country has an overall poor record in test cricket since inception, despite poular beliefs, they have never been a powerhouse of test cricket nor will they ever produce a great team like SA, AUS, ENG, PAK or WI or as we are seeing NZ. MSD has probably been the most successful captain of India, and even now there is no option he is the best in India by far!

Never is a strong word but mostly agree on the other things you said. Having said that, Kohli maybe a bit of a dick but surely he'd make a better captain than Dhoni? For one thing, he seems more motivated.

After all the talk. Dhoni has decided to retire from Test matches effective immediately and not surprisingly, Kohli has been named skipper.

After all the talk. Dhoni has decided to retire from Test matches effective immediately and not surprisingly, Kohli has been named skipper.

He may have been pushed or perhaps persuaded to give it away. His form has tapered off with the bat and his captaincy is somewhat bizarre at times with his field placements. Dhoni is into his 30's now and playing all three forms of the game would be taking its toll too.

Never is a strong word but mostly agree on the other things you said. Having said that, Kohli maybe a bit of a dick but surely he'd make a better captain than Dhoni? For one thing, he seems more motivated.

He can be a good captain has been a leadership capacity before but I believe his attitude with the other players is what will let him down I dont see him being able to gain respect and support from the others of this present team!

I think he will turn out another Lara/Tendulkar/Pollock, great players but failures at captaincy.

He can be a good captain has been a leadership capacity before but I believe his attitude with the other players is what will let him down I dont see him being able to gain respect and support from the others of this present team!

I think he will turn out another Lara/Tendulkar/Pollock, great players but failures at captaincy.

We will have to wait and see.

Ricky Ponting made a great skipper (given he had almost the perfect team for the most part) and he came across as a bit of a dick. I've warmed to him more in recent years though.

We will have to wait and see.

Ricky Ponting made a great skipper (given he had almost the perfect team for the most part) and he came across as a bit of a dick. I've warmed to him more in recent years though.

Ponting seems hard by nature but not arrogant and surely he had the support of the team most if not all the times. I cant recall Ponting making statements in the media like Virat did recently, as I posted before the Australians have always tried to get into the opposing teams head to break them, and nothing is wrong with that it was there strategy of winning but guys like Virat and most of the Indians are making it personal and this is where we have a problem. MSD seem calm and collective with a level head most of the times, which was needed to lead a rogue bunch of individuals, in Virat's case I just cannot see the blind leading the blind!

Youre correct after all is said and done, we need to wait and see how it unfolds.......

Waiting in line before the gates open. Notable people I saw were Rod Marsh and Henry Blofeld. Does Trent Copeland count as notable?

It as a garbage declaration by Smith. If they declared early, not only would they might've won, but Marsh's 100 would've been out of the question, but he could've got red ink. By declaring at lunch, for no other reason that it being lunch, it put unnecessary pressure on Marsh to get 100, which I think contributed to getting him out. What was the big deal if they waited a couple of overs after lunch?

Looking back, the 3 quick wickets destroyed the game as a contest. I thought India would've had a go at the target, but shut up shop at 3/20.

I updated the Cricket photos thread.

http://www.bigcricket.com/community/threads/cricket-photos.184186/page-2#post-571152

edit: The ball Johnson bowled to knock off Pujara was amazing! A real beauty! Reminded me of Zaheer Khan bowling Ponting at the G, 6-7 years ago.

Last edited:
Waiting in line before the gates open. Notable people I saw were Rod Marsh and Henry Blofeld. Does Trent Copeland count as notable?

It as a garbage declaration by Smith.

It still ensured the series victory though didn't it? For a new captain it wouldn't have been a good look if Smith had given India a chance and they had of won..

It as a garbage declaration by Smith. If they declared early, not only would they might've won, but Marsh's 100 would've been out of the question, but he could've got red ink. By declaring at lunch, for no other reason that it being lunch, it put unnecessary pressure on Marsh to get 100, which I think contributed to getting him out. What was the big deal if they waited a couple of overs after lunch?

In hindsight they should have declared 5-10 overs earlier and given themselves more time to bowl India out. Having said that they dropped chances during India's first innings and also missed chances in the second innings as well. Had they held those chances they probably would have won the game.

Brian Lara said:
Looking back, the 3 quick wickets destroyed the game as a contest. I thought India would've had a go at the target, but shut up shop at 3/20.

They were never going to have a dip at it. 384 in 70 overs? No way were they even thinking about having a crack at it.

Back