Match drawn
23-27 1st Test, Sinhalese Sports Club, Colombo
31-4 2nd Test, Galle
August
8-12 3rd Test, Premadasa Stadium, Colombo
15 One-day warm-up match, Colombo
18 1st ODI, Dambulla
20 2nd ODI, Dambulla
24 3rd ODI, Premadasa Stadium, Colombo (d/n)
26 4th ODI, Premadasa Stadium, Colombo (d/n)
29 5th ODI, Premadasa Stadium, Colombo (d/n)

Sri Lanka are 85-2 at the end of a rainy first day in Colombo.

Re: India in Sri Lanka

I think the main talking point will be how Mendis does in his debut series, and personally I can see it going pretty well for him.

Harbhajan Singh to Warnapura, no run, Now then now then after 45 overs we got a referral upstairs for a lbw shout that was turned down. It was on the leg and middle, straightened a touch, beat the prod and hit the pad. Appeal but turned down. Kumble asks for the review It looked like it was going down leg. Benson says NOT OUT. Kumble and Ganguly have a smile. It didn't turn enough. India have only two more unsuccessful reviews to make.

Hmmm has this reviews thing only just been brought in cos ive
never seen it happen before?:confused:
I think its kind of questionong the umpires
authority

Yeah, I've heard that they are trying out this new system in this match. I think its the hawkeye trial which was previously mentioned in [thread=1808]this[/thread] thread.

Some form of appeals system will, not necessarily this one though. You'd assume that every batsman is going to want to appeal against being out LBW, which could see them being out of appeals quite soon.

Is there going to be a vBookie for this series?

Added 23 minute(s) and 47 second(s) later...

Jrod just made a great point about referrals - http://cricketwithballs.blogspot.com/2008/07/it-started-with-kiss.html

Are we going to see less ridiculous speculative appeals for LBW?

Well there have been 2 appeals so far. One was turned down and one was changed.

Sri Lanka cruising, India not getting anything, a ton to Warnapura, Jayawardene and Samaraweera, and all of them looking comfortable. India though havn't held their chances, Karthik has dropped a couple and there have been a couple dropped in the field

India wasted two of their appeals. There was no point in really reffering those decisions as they looked not out even in real time. The one that Dilshan referred was a bit controversial. Replays suggested that Benson got the right decision at first only for the third umpire to over rule it.

Not a good day for India. On a flat wicket you need to take every chance that comes your way but India blew away many.

It kinda seems to be stacked in favour of the batsman I think. If it's really obvious - then it's out and there probably isn't going to be a referral. But if it's really close and the bowler appeals, then the umpire's are going to say it's inconclusive and not out - like with Dilshan. If it's inconclusive - shouldn't the initial decision stand?

I thought that too Ed, if it's given and the 3rd umpire can't see anything to contradict the original decision then it should stand. Time will tell if it tips it too far it the favour of the batsmen but I think it might do.

Yeah, one would assume that if there is no conclusive proof against it then the original decision should stand. There was some discussion about this in the post-match segment and most people agreed. An interesting point raised by Boycott was that even with the use of technology, the decision still has to be made by a human and it will depend on how he interprets the information presented to him.

India missing a fifth bowler.
4 batsmen hitting a century turns out to be a good batting practice for Sri Lanka.
Indians are fielding for 3 days and how many more hours......nobody knows????

That was too easy for Sri Lanka, i heard Karthik dropped heaps of chances... Will
Mendis be effective at test level?

He's bowled 3 overs now for 12 runs now, one carrom ball which nearly took a wicket:

From Cricinfo:
14.5 Mendis to Dravid, no run, beaten comprehensively. The flicker, the carrom ball and it moved away after landing around off, a unsure Dravid followed it and the ball moved just past the outside edge.

India have to save the game but this start has decreased their chances of doing so. Batting on day 4 against Murali and Mendis is going to be a nearly impossible task.

India 6 down and in serious trouble. Murali showing all how to do it and tearing into the Indians

Back