Inner Gloves

SteveyD

Inner Gloves

This is a bit of an odd question probably but
What is the deal on Inner gloves? I see people swear by them and have always used them, do they actually provide any more grip on a hot sweaty day or anything? I'm quite confortable not using any but wondering does it actually feel a lot better?

Re: Inner Gloves

I think for most they provide two services:

1 - they help to soak up sweat when batting for long periods
2 - help to protect gloves by keeping them dry (for longer)

Some people also like them for comfort or habit.

Lot of gloves (especially more inexpensive ones) are also not the most comfortable with some seams etc rubbing on bare flesh can irratate. Inners can help with that in my experience, every less thing you have to think about in batting will help, and if that means you use something unusual then it works.

My case inners play an important part of my technique, but that's just me.

If I can ask a quick question here, since I use the wicket keeping inner on my right hand it is quite tight fitting and gets quite hot, but if I take the glove off in between overs or whatever it's quite hard to get back on and time consuming, plus it'll never feel right. Any thoughts on keeping that cool?

Boris;396283 said:
...since I use the wicket keeping inner on my right hand it is quite tight fitting and gets quite hot, but if I take the glove off in between overs or whatever it's quite hard to get back on and time consuming, plus it'll never feel right. Any thoughts on keeping that cool?

Is it chamois by any chance?

Liz Ward;396293 said:
Is it chamois by any chance?

No, they are pure cotton Gray Nic keeping inners. If you happen to remember by any stretch of the mind I had trouble keeping the ball down despite my technique being strong enough, so I added a thick keeping inner on my right (bottom) hand and everything went along smoothly (except for blocking, but that's another story). Now this thick inner on my right hand only just fits inside the glove (which is perhaps actually a little small, but I like it that way), and that hand sweats like crazy.

At the end of a long innings (which surprisingly enough is quite often, but doesn't mean I've scored runs :p) I put off taking my right glove off for as long as possible.

Just wondering if there were any little tricks of the trade picked up by the budding club cricketer.

Ahh!

The thickness will not help. Is the inner really rigid when it has had time to dry out?

I assume you wash it after every match to prevent residue build up. You could use powder to absorb the sweat or antiperspirent may work depending on the length of time in bat.

You could try getting out earlier :D.

Liz Ward;396298 said:
Ahh!

The thickness will not help. Is the inner really rigid when it has had time to dry out?

I assume you wash it after every match to prevent residue build up. You could use powder to absorb the sweat or antiperspirent may work depending on the length of time in bat.

You could try getting out earlier :D.

Thank you for the help with that suggestion Liz, I have enough trouble with that already!! :D

I wash it out after matches, but normally forget after any net sessions (lately pretty low anyway) where they actually get sweatier. After every time I wear it though they hang up against an open window until I remember to take the down (about a week :D) so they are nice and dry.

What is this antiperspirant you speak of?

EDIT: and I forgot the powder as well?

Boris;396299 said:
What is this antiperspirant you speak of?

O, you're such a guy :D.

You can get really good maximum protection wipes that you can rub on your hand before you go in but be sure to wash your hands after, do not stick your finger in your eye until you have and if you are allergic, go for the powder.

Boris;396299 said:
...and I forgot the powder as well?

You can get some really nice Lilly of the Valley or Rose scented talcum power. If you are lucky, you can get hold of the ones in pretty cans illustrating the flower of your choice. Why not get several and keep them in your kit bag. If anybody asks what you use them for, just wink. You may be surprised at the reaction.

Powder is also great for chaffing if you are a 'Cammando' :D.

Liz Ward;396336 said:
O, you're such a guy

You can get really good maximum protection wipes that you can rub on your hand before you go in but be sure to wash your hands after, do not stick your finger in your eye until you have and if you are allergic, go for the powder.

You can get some really nice Lilly of the Valley or Rose scented talcum power. If you are lucky, you can get hold of the ones in pretty cans illustrating the flower of your choice. Why not get several and keep them in your kit bag. If anybody asks what you use them for, just wink. You may be surprised at the reaction.

Powder is also great for chaffing if you are a 'Cammando'.

Hahaha... I'm choosing not to respond to some of that :D:D

Do you know if there are some things that work similar to this, but on more of a strip of some sort of material that can just be placed inside the glove?

I sweat very, very excessively (attractive, I know ;)) and it hampers most sports I play, there's only so much you can do when you go through 3 shirts per volleyball game, and I have only two uniform shirts that I can wear!

Anything I can to reduce sweat is quite important for me. I'm not sure about England, but for a guy to be carrying around antiperspirants and powders in Australia for cricketers is not such a good look :p

Boris;396391 said:
Hahaha... I'm choosing not to respond to some of that :D:D

Do you know if there are some things that work similar to this, but on more of a strip of some sort of material that can just be placed inside the glove?

I sweat very, very excessively (attractive, I know ;)) and it hampers most sports I play, there's only so much you can do when you go through 3 shirts per volleyball game, and I have only two uniform shirts that I can wear!

Anything I can to reduce sweat is quite important for me. I'm not sure about England, but for a guy to be carrying around antiperspirants and powders in Australia for cricketers is not such a good look :p

Shrug, doesn't bother me, each to their own
I mean, would you rather be embarresssed or bat for a few hours with a sweaty gloves / box / whatever
And Deodarant/anti PD is hardly anything to be ashamed of!

SteveyD;396393 said:
Shrug, doesn't bother me, each to their own
I mean, would you rather be embarresssed or bat for a few hours with a sweaty gloves / box / whatever
And Deodarant/anti PD is hardly anything to be ashamed of!

I definitely not the sort to be embarrassed... believe me on that :D

I'm a number 7ish batsman, so it is quite a bit of effort to go putting powder on my hands or the antiperspirant idea when I'm not expected to last all that long, and quite often end up the not out batsman, so when I come off I have to go straight back on to perform duties as a bowler, so washing hands and removing all the flamboyant stuff sounds a little more effort than taking my glove off in drinks breaks and struggling to get it back on.

Would be a little easier if there was some sort of thing to slip inside my inner that can just be taken out.

Boris;396399 said:
Would be a little easier if there was some sort of thing to slip inside my inner that can just be taken out.

rather than coat your hand in talc or w/e maybe you should put some on the glove, not so much, just a small amount so its "lightly dusted" and it will probably all wear off through sweat etc like that and not be too messy ont he hands?

Boris;396453 said:
But would that be messy and detrimental to the glove?

Pass, If you did it on the inners would it not be possible to just rinse it after the game and have little effect? All the talc really does is absorb the moisture, and goes between the fibres as opposed to actually affecting them i would guess!
Not really sure, maybe liz or someone will have a better idea/answer ;)

Guess that would work, thanks mate.

It's not as if this is a huge problem that will stop my cricket, but it will help.

Oh, and thanks for letting me hijack this thread! :D I'm really good at doing that!

Back