IPL Game 4 - Kolkata Knight Riders vs Deccan Chargers at Eden Gardens, Kolkata

Ljp86

Staff member
IPL Game 4 - Kolkata Knight Riders vs Deccan Chargers at Eden Gardens, Kolkata

Game 4 of the IPL is underway, with Kolkata playing Hyderabad.

Kolkata have once again bowled well and the Chargers are in big trouble after starting okay. They have crashed to 5/65 after 14 overs, top score has been Adam Gilchrist with 23 with Venugopal Rao the only other batter above 10 with 14.

Murali Kartik has two wickets with Dinda, Ishant Sharma and Mohammad Hafeez having one wicket each.

The Chargers hopes firmly rest with Andrew Symonds who is their last remaining recognized batsman. He is currently not out on 10.

Kolkata Knight Riders XI: *SC Ganguly, BB McCullum, RT Ponting, DJ Hussey, Mohammad Hafeez, LR Shukla, +WP Saha, AB Agarkar, AB Dinda, M Kartik, I Sharma

Hyderabad Deccan Chargers XI: +AC Gilchrist, Y Venugopal Rao, *VVS Laxman, A Symonds, RG Sharma, SB Styris, AS Yadav, SB Bangar, RP Singh, WPUJC Vaas, PP Ojha

Re: IPL Game 4 - Kolkata Knight Riders vs Deccan Chargers at Eden Gardens, Kolkata

Dave Hussey gets a wicket, Yadav holes out to Dinda in the deep.

6/77 after 15 overs. Symonds still there on 15 and his performance will determine if they can get about 120.

Re: IPL Game 4 - Kolkata Knight Riders vs Deccan Chargers at Eden Gardens, Kolkata

Agarkar strikes! After being carted in his frst over, he comes back and takes the important wicket of Symonds who tries to hit onto the off-side but in the end, he give mid-off a simple catch.

7/105 in the 18th over.

EDIT: And again, Bangar gets a single off the next ball and Chaminds Vaas, the new batsman is out first ball, the ball stopping on him and giving Ganguly an easy catch at cover. 8/105 after 18 overs now.

Another one down!! Kartik gets his thrid wicket, Bangar plays a horrible shot across the line but only lobs the ball to Saha, the keeper.

9/110, the Chargers will struggle to make 120 now.

EDIT: All over. All out for 110, RP Singh goes tip and run style but doesn't get enough on it, Hafeez's throw was wide but Saha was good enough to effect the dismissal.

The pitch isn't batter friendly, so 110 isn't as bad as it seems. 130 seems to be about par here but if the Chargers can bowl well, they may win this game yet. The chase will be interesting though.

Well, this game has had it all so far. Brendon McCullum couldn't continue his heroics from a few night ago and was out in the second over for five. Ricky Ponting followed soon after for a first ball duck, trapped in front by Chaminda Vaas. Saha wasn't far behind until a small partnership formed between Ganguly and David Hussey before Ohja claimed his first victime with his gently left-armers.

Ohja struck again, this time removing Mohammad Hafeez for 13 runs after a reverse sweep went awry. However, the biggest surprise was to come as only one ball later, the lights on one of the light towers went off!!

So at the moment, we're waiting for them to come back and they are doing that but only slowly. Kolkata are 5/89 if you didn't know, Dave Hussey is on 21 while Shula the new batsman has not faced a ball yet.

The equation for the Knight Riders seems simple enough, 22 runs off 20 balls but the question is will they get there?

Game over. Hussey hit Scott Styris for a six and a four at the end of his over, which put the Knight Riders in a strong position, needing eight off 12 balls.

Hussey finished the game off on the final ball of the next over, lofting Ohja for a six over his head win the game for Kolkata by five wickets.

That leaves the Knight Riders undefeated after having played two games in this competition, a start they would be proud of. They seem to have a good team balance and are setting the pace early on in this tournament.

Ljp86;216839 said:
Game over. Hussey hit Scott Styris for a six and a four at the end of his over, which put the Knight Riders in a strong position, needing eight off 12 balls.

Hussey finished the game off on the final ball of the next over, lofting Ohja for a six over his head win the game for Kolkata by five wickets.

That leaves the Knight Riders undefeated after having played two games in this competition, a start they would be proud of. They seem to have a good team balance and are setting the pace early on in this tournament.
Good on Dave Hussey, About time he started getting reconised on a world scale.

But IMO the pitch was terrible. Sharma showed that by bowling in the corridor and making the ball skip all over the place.

Bloody India! :D I stayed up until 1:30am before a Monday of all days, then the lights fail! I didn't wait around to see the end, I went to sleep.

It just shows that you dont need 470 runs in a game to make it interesting.

It was actually the first game that I watched, being that it started at a reasonable time, and I've got some thoughts.

How funny was it seeing Ponting suck up to Sharma, the amount of ass pats he gave him, it was like, 'when we play you next you be nice to me' ;)

I didn't hear who the guy was dancing around in a Kolkata shirt, and I was thinking, what a clown. When I found out he was the owner it made sense, and now I know who to suck up to to get myself an IPL contract!

I'm good enough to get 0 from 6 balls, or bowl an over that conceeds 16-20 runs ;)

This match was my 1st opportunity to see some action of this new league. It's on too late for my liking to have seen any real action for long periods.
Interesting to note that whoever was doing the pitch report was saying it was a must bat first pitch, but it was like a minefield, spinning at 90 degrees at reasonable pace and moving for the quickies as well. It turned out to be a thriller in the end, the home team scraping home.
I'm going out Friday night, depending on where I go I may get a chance to see some action, though probably in a really bad state!:eek:

Back