IPL to air on Youtube

mas cambios

IPL to air on Youtube

From what I've read it seems the next two IPL's will air on Youtube. Better still, they are going to rely on sponsorship for revenue so it'll be free to view.

While the adverts are annoying, it does make sense to me. You open up the game to a massive global market, one that no longer relies on the television networks from each country. Plus the advantage is that most people have a pc or access to one rather than the lottery of some having cable, satellite or just standard (in the UK at least).

I can see issues possibly with regards to streaming speeds (Cricinfo can slow down considerably when India are playing) and the actual quality of the picture but I'm sure they'll consider this.

Could this be the way forward for cricket and maybe sport in general?

Re: IPL to air on Youtube

Wasn't aware that Youtube was capable of live streaming.

Good idea though, very much like the ESPN360 service, which has free sports streaming (including the current Ind/Ban series) for participating ISPs.

Youtube screened a U2 concert live end of last year.

Good for those that can't get access to the games but wouldn't have much affect to me as I would prefer to watch it on the TV

Monetizing content in the digital sphere will be an avenue which all sports will need to look at. The Americans do it for the NFL, MLB etc. The one problem is that will not work in country where high speed bandwidth is an issue like South Africa.

Also the free element I do not believe there will be some sort of payment for fans on certain continents, no broadcaster is going to pay millions an let this happen. So the skeptic in me is waiting for the catch ..

hattrick;385434 said:
Monetizing content in the digital sphere will be an avenue which all sports will need to look at. The Americans do it for the NFL, MLB etc. The one problem is that will not work in country where high speed bandwidth is an issue like South Africa.

That is an issue but I'm sure they've considered it. Out of curiosity, why does South Africa have such crappy broadband?

hattrick;385434 said:
Also the free element I do not believe there will be some sort of payment for fans on certain continents, no broadcaster is going to pay millions an let this happen. So the skeptic in me is waiting for the catch ..

Comes down to economics really. How many people will pay to watch the product, compared with how many will watch it for free. Far better to have 500 million watching and seeing your ads than making them pay and only getting 100 million viewers, if you see what I mean.

@mas cambios

The problem with the Internet here down South is that it is controlled by a monopolistic goverment entity which have done little to make it affordable to the man on the street.

I understand the point you make about the economics and being free but I am sorry I do not buy this coming from the IPL. The truth is that it will most probably be free for the first season and then for added content the user will have to pay.. Think about it for one moment why would a company that has sold the broadcast right for nearly a billion US Dollars give it to the man on the street for free, it seems illogical and very un-Modi like ..

I am also very skeptical about it being truly free, but I will keep it watching on FTA down here, would be good though if all matches and highlights are available on Youtube afterwards though

hattrick;385602 said:
I understand the point you make about the economics and being free but I am sorry I do not buy this coming from the IPL. The truth is that it will most probably be free for the first season and then for added content the user will have to pay.. Think about it for one moment why would a company that has sold the broadcast right for nearly a billion US Dollars give it to the man on the street for free, it seems illogical and very un-Modi like ..

On the other hand, if no national broadcaster is interested in buying it (and in the UK it is not being shown) then better to have your product available somewhere. Of course, they do want to monetize youtube so time will tell if they charge. As it stands though, it's free and will be for the foreseeable future.

I read somewhere that folks in the US can't watch the youtube broadcast, which really sucks !..

Wouldn't be surprised if Dish Tv is behind this. have you guys heard anything of that sort ?

I have not heard anything to that effect yet but the US has a dedicated online tv provider (Willow TV ?) and I think it will most probably boil down to rights and who can show the content in certain geographical areas.

IPL to air on Youtube

IPL Opening Ceremony 2010, IPL 2010 all updates

STAGE IS now all set to welcome the biggest cricket event....,IPL 2010!!!!.

The wait is over. The IPL 2010 is here. The opening ceremony of the DLF IPL 2010 twenty 20 promises breathtaking performances by a a number of Bollywood celebrities as well as International artists. The opening ceremony of the 2010 IPL 3 would start today, March 12 at 6pm IST. The live coverage, videos and streaming will be available on a number of sites. In India Sat Max TV channel will telecast the live opening ceremony of the IPL 2010...For all updates....:D

Great news if it does...many people dont get to see the IPL and it will offer an avenue to do so. Maybe with Youtube saying its likely to move to a paid option for streams, this could be a way for the IPL to gain interest and then move to the paid stream option once its live on Youtube...even with paying it gives some folks the chance to see the matches that they simply cant at present because of TV rights.

Back