is ponting trying to lose the ashes?

metric

is ponting trying to lose the ashes?

unbelieveably he bowled siddle and horitz for too long in the last overs of the 5th day of the first test. where was pup? the match winner who destroyed the indians on the last day a couple of years ago? wasnt he worth a shot? i still cant believe he wasnt given a shot!!! nor was hilf... unbelieveable.

and today...ponting drops a sitter from siddle and botches a runout that my 3 yo daughter could have made.

the fix is in. ponting is doing his best to lose the ashes. sack him and offer the captaincy to warnie!!

Re: is ponting trying to lose the ashes?

May I ask how old you are?

I still remember the days when Australia couldn't beat anyone back in the 80's. It seems to me that lots of people today who follow cricket were bought up on the game on teh back of a calory laden diet where Australia won everthing. So much so that only a few years ago their was concern that Australia's dominace was killing international cricket.

I remember the 2007 World Cup win was barely recognized here in Australia. It was treated as "another game, another win".

People have to realise, and pretty damn quickly, that Australia are going to lose more matchs in the coming years because they have lost some all-time great players that can
t be replaced. Sacking the captain won't change the fact that Johnson is struggling and that overall, apart from Hilfenhaus, most of the attack lacks penetration.

In SA the entire attack clicked perfectly, and we still had to fight very hard to get the series win. If the attack is just a bit below it's capability then we are going to struggle because it's an honest attack, nothing more.

Your probably a young fella who is frustated your heros aren't winning or at least performing to their capability, that's perfectly understandable mate. But you need to realise that sacking your best player won't change a damn thing.

We still have a chance for a draw, or maybe even a famous win, but if we lose it won't be the end of the world.

You need to realise that sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Acting illogically in a moment of frustation won't help the teams fortunes, or your own sanity.

It's only a game, its best to remember that.

Ponting has had a shocker, no doubt. He doesn't like losing either, and could handle it a lot better than he does. He wasn't used to it before he took over, and the fact that his captaincy and the troops he is in charge of are not of the standard we've come to expect, all builds up and burns him inside. No doubt. But deliberately muck it up? I don't think so.

its easy to pass judgement with the aid of hind site, what us monday experts have to realise is that we arnt there, we are only seeing what we are seeing, we dont know whats going on, whos feeling crap, whos got a niggle, i blasted ponting along with everyone when he didnt bowl katfish enough at home against SA, but it turned out kattich didnt want to bowl, i think everyones being a tad hard on punter, it seems everytime he appeals now he"s labled a sook or a bad sport, get a life guys, he"s won more than he"s lost, you can blame the other leaders in the group as well for not coming up with better plans and such.

I'm a pom, so I only know what I saw in the first two tests - your bowling isn't up to the mark, and Johnson is the main culprit at the moment. He looks to be a decent batsman, but what use is that if his bowling is no good?

By all accounts he has bowling talent, but his confidence when running in looks to be zero. He needs to be sent away to play some state cricket and regain his confidence. We did that with Steve Harmison - he's taken 50 wickets in domestic cricket this season and I would not be surprised at all to see him charging in before the end of this tour, especially if Freddie can't last the distance.

Bill Lawrey sounds like one of the nicest guys in cricket, especially way back when, and yet i doubt there would be anybody here who would say he is one of Australia's best captains. one of his main problems, and one that Ponting has been accused of in the past, is his inability to take advice. he can't captain a spin bowler; he takes the credit when things go right and shovels the blame out when it goes wrong; he has a problem picking himself up, much less his players; he is prone to tantrums; he has a two dimensional view of the game; one could go on and on.
and yes, i grew up on cricket in the 80's. Australia is going through a decline at the moment, just as it was in the late 60's. but like Hughes in the 80's and Lawrey in the 60's it is possible to be a good player and perhaps not the best captain. i have never really been convinced in giving the best player the captaincy- it should go to the best captain. right now that would be Katich or M Clarke.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;357124 said:
May I ask how old you are?

I still remember the days when Australia couldn't beat anyone back in the 80's. It seems to me that lots of people today who follow cricket were bought up on the game on teh back of a calory laden diet where Australia won everthing. So much so that only a few years ago their was concern that Australia's dominace was killing international cricket.

I remember the 2007 World Cup win was barely recognized here in Australia. It was treated as "another game, another win".

People have to realise, and pretty damn quickly, that Australia are going to lose more matchs in the coming years because they have lost some all-time great players that can
t be replaced. Sacking the captain won't change the fact that Johnson is struggling and that overall, apart from Hilfenhaus, most of the attack lacks penetration.

In SA the entire attack clicked perfectly, and we still had to fight very hard to get the series win. If the attack is just a bit below it's capability then we are going to struggle because it's an honest attack, nothing more.

Your probably a young fella who is frustated your heros aren't winning or at least performing to their capability, that's perfectly understandable mate. But you need to realise that sacking your best player won't change a damn thing.

We still have a chance for a draw, or maybe even a famous win, but if we lose it won't be the end of the world.

You need to realise that sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Acting illogically in a moment of frustation won't help the teams fortunes, or your own sanity.

It's only a game, its best to remember that.

bloody good post. just what i have been trying to say for a long time now. australias been spoilt lately and now we still have what i think is the best team in the world, but the difference is that its only just the best, not the best by miles. other countries can give them a run for their money now. great for the competition.

Back