Is SKY TV's coverage all that it's cracked up to be?

Re: Is SKY TV's coverage all that it's cracked up to be?

Dikon said:
There's a petition somewhere online someone might provide you with the link.

It's a long shot though, as the guy now in charge (Giles Clarke?) is the one that negotiated the Sky deal in the first place. Something tells nothing is going to change for a considerable amount of time.

The link is Keep Cricket Free, however the site seems to be suffering from problems.

Right - what with the Ashes coming up soon and England doing okay at the moment under Kevin Pietersons Captaincy it looks like I've got no choice but to scab on my class and sell all my principles up the swanny and subscribe to that evil mans satelite TV company. I can hardly bring myself to write it's name down S*Y TV you know the one that buys up all the media rights leaving everyone else with no choices.

So I'm probably going to do it soon before the end of Sept but I've noted there's several sports packages - is there a specific one that I need to select in order to get the best coverage - what's the deal?

Personally, I think Sky's coverage of the cricket is brilliant. Great commentary team, some fantastic features (hawkeye, hotspot, snicko, 3rd man), good studio work with Gower in the studio, and the legend that is David Lloyd. I enjoyed the Channel 4 footage, but I also really enjoy the Sky coverage, it's of high quality, always good camera angle, and all the features make it incredibly watchable.

As for the Sky Deal, here's the link to a cracking Sky Deal for the Sports Package:

http://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/getall3/combi3

£36 is a great deal. We've got every channel in our house, with me and my sister having Multiroom in our rooms, which is awesome. Means I get to watch all the test matches in my room without having to battle my sister for the remote. I'll probably end up getting Sky HD in my room as well, once I've got some money anyway.

someblokecalleddave;29621 said:
Right - what with the Ashes coming up soon and England doing okay at the moment under Kevin Pietersons Captaincy it looks like I've got no choice but to scab on my class and sell all my principles up the swanny and subscribe to that evil mans satelite TV company. I can hardly bring myself to write it's name down S*Y TV you know the one that buys up all the media rights leaving everyone else with no choices.

So I'm probably going to do it soon before the end of Sept but I've noted there's several sports packages - is there a specific one that I need to select in order to get the best coverage - what's the deal?

Far as I know you'll need the sports package in order to be able to make the most of the games shown on Sky (they tend to vary between Sky Sports 1/2/3). It might be worth checking what they can offer you in terms of broadband and a phone line, might work out cheaper than what you currently have (present contracts permitting and all that).

One thing to offset the fact that Sky have the tests etc is that at least some money does filter down to the grass roots. I got a partial refund for the coaching course I undertook earlier this year thanks to the Sky money (as should everyone else doing a course this year) - which means that I can do the next level and maybe the Ian Pont one as well. So, whilst it's not an ideal situation having little to no international cricket on terrestrial TV, at least there is a small silver lining to the cloud.

King Pietersen;29632 said:
Personally, I think Sky's coverage of the cricket is brilliant. Great commentary team, some fantastic features (hawkeye, hotspot, snicko, 3rd man), good studio work with Gower in the studio, and the legend that is David Lloyd. I enjoyed the Channel 4 footage, but I also really enjoy the Sky coverage, it's of high quality, always good camera angle, and all the features make it incredibly watchable.

As for the Sky Deal, here's the link to a cracking Sky Deal for the Sports Package:

http://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/getall3/combi3

£36 is a great deal. We've got every channel in our house, with me and my sister having Multiroom in our rooms, which is awesome. Means I get to watch all the test matches in my room without having to battle my sister for the remote. I'll probably end up getting Sky HD in my room as well, once I've got some money anyway.

Cheers for this - as far as I can make out this has the sports mix and that gives you sky sports 1 & 2 - would that mean I'd get most of the coverage do you think?

It says "Sky Sports 1+2 plus more" You'll get all the sport channels, including SS 3 and SS Extra. As well as Setanta, Eurosport, Sky Sports News, Extreme, Fight Network, and all the other random channels like Rush HD. You'll get all the cricket, and football (if you're intersted in that) in that bundle.

Yeah if I do this it's only going to be for the duration of the Ashes and then I'm out of there as soon as possible. I'm not a big lover of television full stop, I probably watch 30 minutes of TV a day and that's the news, I just cannot stand adverts and most of what's on is drivel anyway. If I'm watching tele and it's on one of the commercial channels as soon as the adverts turn up I'm gone. If I want all that crap that they advertise I'd go down the shops and get it, the last thing I want is for it to be rammed down my throat every 15 minutes especially if I'm paying £30 or more a month to watch programs! Yep you're right about the football, that gets on my **** as well - a bunch of nancy boys that are being paid £100,000 a week to run around a pitch for 90 minutes of which 30% of the time they're actually walking and then they F*****g moan about being knackered! They want to try something hard - try 5 hours of tennis in the blazing sun man on man, or surfing for 3 or 4 hours in big waves and I'm sure there's loads of other sports much harder than football where the blokes/women get paid a fraction of what these twats do. Don't get me wrong I like a good game but the people involved - yep nancy boys.

So I just want as much of the cricket as possible and don't care about anything else they've got - so what should I get?

The Sky Sports combination will suit your needs, will give you all the sports channels and a lot of cricket. You should also pick up some other series, so you'll have a chance to watch Australia in India and so on.

As mentioned elsewhere, it may be worth checking if you're in a Virgin area as they may well do the same type of package for less.

There's loads of cricket coming on Sky even before the end of the year:
Stanford 20-20 Super Series
Australia-South Africa
India-England
India-Australia
South Africa-Australia
West Indies-England

There's another series as well, which includes Australia, might be New Zealand. Alot of cricket on Sky before the English Summer even kicks in. Then we've got the T20 World Cup, England-Sri Lanka, then the Ashes. Going to be an awesome 12 months or so of cricket, really looking forward to the next dose of International's, those being the Stanford series next month.

Ha you guys have to pay for coverage. Sucks to be you. We get it free thanks to Channel 9 and when they didn't want to cover the Ashes over in England a few years ago, SBS covered it.

Yeah, but the second it heads overseas (2005 Ashes notwithstanding) it isn't on 9. Thats why I wish I had Foxtel

its worht paying for! especially if u cant sleep! i flicked on sky and watched the Australia one day live!

Yeah, but the old folks won't buy it! I try to get to my mates place whenever I can, just so I can watch the cricket

1.Most of the coverage is going to be on during the day while I'm at work.
2. Or do they have highlights programs?
3. What's the deal with the SKY + box as that's coming free with the SKY package if I sign up?
4. If I'm not watching it during the day because of work - wouldn't I almost be better off watching the highlights on the terrestrial channels and then a year later buy the DVD's of the Ashes on ebay for £5.00 and same myself several hundred pounds?
5. Do they have other international matches on at night - I know I was in a pub a few weeks back and they had Australia v Sri Lanka (I think) on the tele - so I'm assuming that was SKY?

someblokecalleddave;29799 said:
1.Most of the coverage is going to be on during the day while I'm at work.
2. Or do they have highlights programs?
3. What's the deal with the SKY + box as that's coming free with the SKY package if I sign up?
4. If I'm not watching it during the day because of work - wouldn't I almost be better off watching the highlights on the terrestrial channels and then a year later buy the DVD's of the Ashes on ebay for £5.00 and same myself several hundred pounds?
5. Do they have other international matches on at night - I know I was in a pub a few weeks back and they had Australia v Sri Lanka (I think) on the tele - so I'm assuming that was SKY?

1. Yes

2. They should do

3. Sky+ is a hard drive recorder system. Like a video but it saves TV to a hard drive within the box. You can store a few 100 hours worth of TV if you so wish. The ideal thing for you would be to record it during the day then play it back later. That way you can skip adverts/boring bits and see the action you want.

4. You might be, it's something you have to weigh up. Would you wife/kids get anything from having Sky?

5. Yes, they'll have most series on there. Depends on the time zone as to when they're on. For example, you'll get home West Indies matches starting about 3pm and going on to 10pm or later. Indian matches tend to start early morning, good to watch over breakfast.

Dave,

if your running a sky plus box you can record the whole days play and the highlights! i usually do especially the one dayers! get in from work and watch every ball if i want to?

plus record other things like documentaries while watching other programs etc...

my missis originally said it would be a waste of money (being our first palce together every penny counts) but when i get in from work if she has beaten me home she has her soaps on and the hard drive is full of GOK!

Back