John Howard for ICC President!

Re: John Howard for ICC President!

I hope they are not paying him and he is doing it for free, he has already hits us taxpayers up for a few million since he got the arse.

You would have thought though that one of the requirements of such a job is being able to at least play cricket at even the most basic levelhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8by05rtMY

I hope he is doing it pro gratia, he has already hit us taxpayers up for a few million since he got the arse.

You would have thought one of the requirements of such a job is being able to play cricket better than this joker

YouTube - John Howard bowling

Disgusting decision when you consider that the other candidate was Sir John Anderson, who has been an excellent cricket administrator since 1995. Instead, Australia put the foot down and demand that the nomination goes to the woefully unsuitable candidate, picked based on his fondness for photo-ops watching the cricket in his green and gold tracksuit.

Problem with cricket administrators is they think they know something about the game, the players, the fans, the press etc

John Howard has no such pretences and as rudd starts to take hold we notice how efficient he actually was.

Good thing is he will stop immigration between test countries:D and make more money out of tests than anyone else will out of T20's:p

Managing the ICC will be a piece of piss compared to managing the factionous pricks in the Liberal party.

Sure A for Effort. You sound like the typical person who likes paying more taxes and courtjester has a valid point. Wouldn't do any harm to have him instead of some accountant.

brickwaller99;398143 said:
Sure A for Effort. You sound like the typical person who likes paying more taxes and courtjester has a valid point. Wouldn't do any harm to have him instead of some accountant.

You are right about john howard not being an accountant, he failed primary school maths but he couldn't make any school cricket team that he tried out for as well so i suppose that somehow makes him qualified for ICC according to your warped logic.

The ICC is the political part of cricket. You don't have to play cricket or be good at cricket to be an expert on the game, that is left to your secretary side kicks that tell you what the players really think.

He is a national identity that can really put a face to the ICC (so we know who to blame I suppose :D). I couldn't even tell you 2 people that work within the ICC now.

His political career shows that he can take on the biggest of opponents. Would like to see him muscle back control from the BCCI.

You want a political person in the presidency position, not an ex player (unless they happen to be strongly politcal as well). Bureaucracy isn't always a bad thing. Some structure is needed.

I like the decision.

Boris;398159 said:
The ICC is the political part of cricket. You don't have to play cricket or be good at cricket to be an expert on the game, that is left to your secretary side kicks that tell you what the players really think.

He is a national identity that can really put a face to the ICC (so we know who to blame I suppose :D). I couldn't even tell you 2 people that work within the ICC now.

His political career shows that he can take on the biggest of opponents. Would like to see him muscle back control from the BCCI.

You want a political person in the presidency position, not an ex player (unless they happen to be strongly politcal as well). Bureaucracy isn't always a bad thing. Some structure is needed.

I like the decision.

The trouble is howard lovers think the decision is great but howard haters think it stinks. If the appointment had been say, Dean Jones ( who is a liberal supporter and was close to running for the vic parliament for the libs) most everyone would have applauded it.

He should retire completely from public life, like he promised he would on election night. Everytime i see an ex prime minister, no matter what political party he was from i grab the remote, they have all worn out there welcome.

If you look at it objectively, I would say a politician suits the job down to the tee. (now there's a use for them :D)

Who better than someone who ran a country for 11 years?

Boris;398167 said:
Who better than someone who ran a country for 11 years?

Maybe someone who ran one for 13 years? Bob Hawke maybe. He did play for Oxford Uni after all? No I would not want that either. I lived in Canberra for a few years and no-one actually " runs" the country! Shocking as it seems it just runs itself

Then there's the people like macca who spew whenever he hears politician because he has no understanding of bureaucracy and political bargaining. Good idea to have him as the figurehead to get control back to ICC.

Dean Jones has the same problem as any other former player. They outwear their welcome and still think the current cricketer and fan want the same as when they played in the age of the dinosaurs.

brickwaller99;398188 said:
the same as when they played in the age of the dinosaurs.

Going on the size of the bats the bam bams use these days i would say we are in the age of the dinosaurs at present.

Hey maybe we should have chosen the far more qualified, highly-regarded candidate from New Zealand, because "A candidate from the region of Australia & New Zealand" shouldn't mean "A candidate from Australia"

Also, Dean "The terrorist has got another wicket" Jones would literally be the worst possible choice.

brickwaller99;398019 said:
Problem with cricket administrators is they think they know something about the game, the players, the fans, the press etc

John Howard has no such pretences and as rudd starts to take hold we notice how efficient he actually was.

Good thing is he will stop immigration between test countries:D and make more money out of tests than anyone else will out of T20's:p

The problem with cricket administration is that it has nothing to do with cricket.

Cricket administration is mainly politics, especially in international test cricket.

In that regard, Howard is a good choice because he was a great politican.

a for effort;398201 said:
Hey maybe we should have chosen the far more qualified, highly-regarded candidate from New Zealand, because "A candidate from the region of Australia & New Zealand" shouldn't mean "A candidate from Australia"

Also, Dean "The terrorist has got another wicket" Jones would literally be the worst possible choice.

Come on that's unfair on Jonesy, if you listen to the tape closely he actually used the word "theorist", meaning a bowler who had a plan.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;398213 said:
In that regard, Howard is a good choice because he was a great politican.

Mate we have only had one "great" politician in our history, his name was John Curtin who gave up his life by working himself to death defending Australia from Japanese invasion in WW2. Spare a thought for him tomorrow on Anzac Day. He was also a very good cricket player who came close to state selection for WA.

I wouldn't give ya two bob for the rest of the bludgers , liberal or labor.

macca;398176 said:
Maybe someone who ran one for 13 years? Bob Hawke maybe. He did play for Oxford Uni after all? No I would not want that either. I lived in Canberra for a few years and no-one actually " runs" the country! Shocking as it seems it just runs itself

That's beside the point. Maybe if Hawke was running I would agree with it as well.

I think of the two choices Howard was the better. He supported the team in a huge way over his 11 years, just because he couldn't play cricket doesn't mean he doesn't understand it's workings or know what's best for the game. He has already been quite a part of the team, even speaking on part of Don Bradman at his request.

Doesn't matter what party he came from, all that matters is that he has already had a huge part in the Australian cricket team and the boards have both chosen him.

Back