Jumping off the Wrong Foot

Re: Jumping off the Wrong Foot

Sorry for the belated reply.

Sam is coming along quite well with his action. He hasn't been putting 100% into his training, more like bowling once a week, but is at a slow meandre into the crease off a five step run up bowling at a medium pace off the right foot.

He isn't finding any soreness and his action looks nice and smooth altogether.

One question, though, he is now having a slight problem with having his arm on a bit of an angle outwards through his action, not bringing it through directly up and down. He lacks the accuracy of his 'old' action, but I figure it will come as he works towards autonomy, just wondering if having his arm on about a 25 degree angle is going to reduce that as a whole.

It's the only thing that looks a little wrong with the action is the slight 'sling' for want of a better term.

Any tips on correction if needed?

Boris;390941 said:
...One question, though, he is now having a slight problem with having his arm on a bit of an angle outwards through his action, not bringing it through directly up and down.

Are you talking about his bowling arm?

I was afraid you were going to say that :D.

There is no easy answer; it depends on so many factors but as I am unable to see Sam, I would have to say that he needs to correct this. Is he finding most balls going legside or are they all over?

He's finding he is dragging them towards the offside of a batsman a little.

Without this being an expert opinion, I think he does need to correct it. The rest of the action looks pretty much as you described and flows well without anything noticeably looking like it injure. Hasn't been tested at flat out speed yet, though.

I don't think he fully realises he is doing it. If he concentrates on that he is fine, if he concentrates on his legs his top half goes awry. He will get there.

Boris;390966 said:
... He will get there.

Absolutely Boris... and it sounds as though he has come a long way already.

I am assuming Sam is a right hand bowler. If this is the case and from what you say... yes, it would help enormously if he corrected this issue; not only from an injury point of view but from what you have said, it will improve his accuracy.

If he is left handed or the balls were going leg side, then we would have a problem ;).

Get his lower half running on auto, then concentrate on the arm... he will get there and soon by the sounds of it.

He is a right hand bowler.

Just thought I'd mention this, but he is one of the few people I have seen that can bowl with both hands. Rather strange actually. Lacks pace and some accuracy left handed, but better than pretty much everyone else can do. If I bowl left handed it makes it about 1 metre in front of me, so it's quite an achievement to be as ambidextrous as that.

Boris;391114 said:
He is a right hand bowler.

Just thought I'd mention this, but he is one of the few people I have seen that can bowl with both hands. Rather strange actually. Lacks pace and some accuracy left handed, but better than pretty much everyone else can do. If I bowl left handed it makes it about 1 metre in front of me, so it's quite an achievement to be as ambidextrous as that.

The neuromuscular system is quite something. This is something I am quite keen on teaching via FUNdamentals of movement:

Liz Ward;285718 said:
Remember, you can teach anything; there are no boundaries.

I went into a school a couple of months ago and was presented with young children who had never played any form or cricket before. They were all right hand dominant but I taught them to bowl left handed. Very quickly, they became very good at it and their technique was really good.

However, when I asked them to bowl with their other
arm, they all found this 'strange'. They mastered it eventually and now bowl left and right handed on command. They are great at catching with their left hand but have not quite mastered the left arm throw yet...​

I do not work with little people anymore [as I am not a coach :D], but I find it a real waste that this kind of fundamental is not worked on, or given much time. It not only makes for a very interesting game but by performing skills with both sides helps to maintain muscle balance.​

Back