Justin Langer Resigns as Aussie Mens cricket coach

Some very ordinary form from Cricket Australia here I must say, not sure what Langer did to deserve this treatment but it seems a handful of players and board members have got their way which is incredibly disappointing, particularly given the hole he dragged them out of after the ball-tampering incident in South Africa. This certainly sees CA come out of this saga in a poorer light given the support Langer has had in the media thus far.

As for the new incoming coach, it'll be out of Trevor Bayliss, Jason Gillespie or Andrew McDonald. No doubt Ricky Ponting will be contacted to see if he wants the job, if he does I have no hesitations that he'll be offered the position over the other three although it is very unlikely he will want the job.

JL as what Justin Langer loved being called was as passionate about cricket as they come. Hence why he came across as being grumpy.
What gets me upset was the way how his employer Cricket Australia treated him.
I listened to JL before he was brought in as Aussie mens cricket coach as he used to give special comments on the abc radio.
He had time for everyone.
What upsets me is the media making up stories about the playing group when it was only the board of cricket australia doing all the nasty work.
The media blaming the players is wrong on all counts.
Making up stories about how the skipper sacked him is rubbish.
The media and Cricket Australia have a lot of thinking to do.
I think Ricky Ponting will coach Australia.

There are probably faults from all parties here but I think CA and the players are the most to blame.

Langer is a very intense person, always has been and he is passionate about what he does. He only wants the best for the side but was perhaps a bit too over the top on occasions, advice which he took on board after various meetings and toned it back, particularly in the last six months or so.

I feel the way Langer has been treated though has been very poor. CA refused to sack him and offered him a contract they knew he wouldn't accept, it certainly seems that some members of the board and also some of the playing group don't like him which has proven to be his downfall. I would have thought that retaining the Ashes in England, winning the Ashes here and claiming the T20 World Cup last year would have held him in good stead but it seems a so-called few got their way.

Realistically, CA and the players have gone all in on the performances over the next 18-24 months. Langer pulled them out of the mire and they've now got a very busy schedule over the next two years which is going to be a huge test for them and will show where they are in the scheme of things.

Hopefully they'll be able to put in some strong performances in that time but the knives will be out if they fail given many of Langer's former teammates are now in the media and are appalled at the way he was treated.

Back