Kallis And Boucher Sign With Cape Cobras

hattrick

Mark-Boucher.jpg

I must admit that off season signings in cricket has a lot to learn from soccer. Transfer day is normally the day that mega deals happen and players move all over the place. In South Africa the franchises try to keep their playing staff as close to their chests as possible. I have no idea why and suspect mostly it is done to ensure that the season starts with a bang. Then press releases can be written about their new stars etc.

Big Cricket regulars will know that I support the Cape Cobras. The 2009/2010 season was a very successful season for the franchise as they won the 4 day competition and the T20 competition. All in all Richard Pybus's appointment has seen remarkable changes to various elements inside team operations. Young players are now given a chance and suddenly Western Cape cricket seems to be heading in the right direction.

However today some news broke that peeked my interest into the Cobras even further. Jacques Kallis and Mark Boucher announced that they will be playing for the Franchise in the coming season. The funny thing is that the both moved away from the franchise amid mystifying circumstances. It seemed personality clashes caused the initial decision.

Personally I have some concerns: Cliques seems to follow these two friends around. The mere fact that they are both seen as senior players, I hope the Cobras have made sure that they know they wont be getting any different treatment in comparison to other Cape Cobras.

Secondly, I am not buying this coming home story one bit. It is a simple case that I think they are not enjoying the fact that the Warriors have lost their coach to the national side.

"Since the start of my cricket playing days, I have spent most of my domestic playing time with the Eastern Cape franchise and my heart holds a very special place for the people, the fans, the staff, my fellow cricketers and the coaches I have met and played with along the way.

For me the Warriors are one of the best run franchises in the country and Dave Emslie is a massive part of that. It was a huge and difficult decision for me to leave the Warriors but Cape Town is my home and I do need to be based there, to explore business opportunities for my future. Before returning to the Warriors, we had narrowly missed a couple of titles and I am extremely proud to have been part of the team that has earned some trophies. Thinking back on those celebrations brings back memories of great times" said Boucher.

Jacques Kallis, CSA Player of the Year said "I have thoroughly enjoyed being part of the best run franchise for the last couple of years. I am moving back to Cape Town to spend more family time at home but will take with me only good memories and experiences of my time spent at the Warriors. The framed picture showing the Warriors celebrating the MTN40 and Standard Bank pro20 victories in the 2009/10 season which I was sent, takes pride of place on my bar wall and I am pleased to have been part of those victories".

Disclaimer: My point of view may be a bit off centre as I am a fan of the Franchise :)

Some pretty handy additions though if they do come back, hattrick. You would suspect that Cobras would be a good chance to have another successful season if those two can play regular games.

Is Boucher still playing international cricket?

Ljp86 mate, I believe this is a PR move as a whole. You know the type that is to make like everything is good and properly working. Kallis will play at most 4 matches for the Cobras and Boucher might play more. What the Boucher move does is put a local boy in no mans land. Ryan Canning is the name and I rate this guy. Solid batsmen who has a few First Class centuries under his belt. Decent glove man and in all honesty I think should be looked at as a potential international player.

Boucher at the moment is seen as a test cricket player only.. it will be interesting to see what Gary Kirsten does with selection..

Back