Lastmanstands.com 8 Aside Cricket

They aren't trying to. It's a good size and word of mouth keeps the leagues full. They added an extra league this year due to popularity. Cambs is a small place and with a huge electronics industry , everyone knows everyone from somewhere.

Thats exactly the kind of short-sighted and insular attitude that puts people like Dave off and allows predatory companies like lastmanstands.com the opportunity to steal players away.

Cricket would have died out a long time ago if every league had that attitude.

Thats exactly the kind of short-sighted and insular attitude that puts people like Dave off and allows predatory companies like lastmanstands.com the opportunity to steal players away.

Cricket would have died out a long time ago if every league had that attitude.
I respectfully disagree. It's very popular due to the friendliness and social attitude of the league. There is no
ECB affiliation and they aren't actively being insular. Just they aren't shouting themselves off the rooftop because they don't need to. The spirit and friendliness in the league embodies
Cricket as I believe it should. There are no player registrations etc so whilst ringers viable, the league isn't there for prizes. It's there for some evening cricket fun. I havent seen anyone field ringers for the purposes of winning ever. A lot of teams field "ringers" to make numbers. But it's usually someone's mate Etc. weve fielded a player who is semi pro but works in our company. He refuses to bat any higher than 10. If he batted 1/2 he's get 100+ each week. It's very friendly and relaxed.

I respectfully disagree. It's very popular due to the friendliness and social attitude of the league. There is no
ECB affiliation and they aren't actively being insular. Just they aren't shouting themselves off the rooftop because they don't need to. The spirit and friendliness in the league embodies
Cricket as I believe it should. There are no player registrations etc so whilst ringers viable, the league isn't there for prizes. It's there for some evening cricket fun. I havent seen anyone field ringers for the purposes of winning ever. A lot of teams field "ringers" to make numbers. But it's usually someone's mate Etc. weve fielded a player who is semi pro but works in our company. He refuses to bat any higher than 10. If he batted 1/2 he's get 100+ each week. It's very friendly and relaxed.

I'm sure the spirit on the field is fine, I just find it perplexing that any league would deliberately hide itself away from new potential players and clubs like its some kind of secret organisation like the KKK or something. If a keen young cricketer moved to Cambridge and wanted to play evening cricket, he would look on the internet and conclude there was nothing going on and go and play 5 aside football instead. Another cricketer lost forever. Imagine if every league was like this - there would be no cricket left at all within about 20 years.

I'm sure the spirit on the field is fine, I just find it perplexing that any league would deliberately hide itself away from new potential players and clubs like its some kind of secret organisation like the KKK or something. If a keen young cricketer moved to Cambridge and wanted to play evening cricket, he would look on the internet and conclude there was nothing going on and go and play 5 aside football instead. Another cricketer lost forever. Imagine if every league was like this - there would be no cricket left at all within about 20 years.
I do see your point. I would argue that they are not "deliberately hiding themselves away", more not taking steps to make themselves more visible. They do not take measures to not be seen.
If a keen young cricketer moved to cambridge, I would hope they joined a cricket club. There are no shortage of clubs around!
There are also various midweek youth leagues (run by the Cambridge cricket board) and there is a university run midweek league that is far more competitive in terms of level, but thus is also far more "gamesmanship" etc

I do see your point. I would argue that they are not "deliberately hiding themselves away", more not taking steps to make themselves more visible. They do not take measures to not be seen.
If a keen young cricketer moved to cambridge, I would hope they joined a cricket club. There are no shortage of clubs around!
There are also various midweek youth leagues (run by the Cambridge cricket board) and there is a university run midweek league that is far more competitive in terms of level, but thus is also far more "gamesmanship" etc

There might not be a shortage of clubs around, but its about promotion of clubs and leagues making them open and enticing to join. There is nothing worse than looking for a new club and going for the first time, its a big step to take as a young cricketer as you wont know anyone unless a friend is the reason you know of the team. I personally think that schools and clubs should work together so players with an interest in a sport outside of school are given the information and support to join a club. This worked for me and a few friends as youngsters in playing rugby, one of my friends is now an England international RU player because of it.

There might not be a shortage of clubs around, but its about promotion of clubs and leagues making them open and enticing to join. There is nothing worse than looking for a new club and going for the first time, its a big step to take as a young cricketer as you wont know anyone unless a friend is the reason you know of the team. I personally think that schools and clubs should work together so players with an interest in a sport outside of school are given the information and support to join a club. This worked for me and a few friends as youngsters in playing rugby, one of my friends is now an England international RU player because of it.

Rugby seems to do that effectivel it seems. My sons school is strong on promoting rugby and they have strong teams that do well nationally as far as I'm aware, but I also know that the school has a close affiliation with the local club and the school feeds new players into the club where possible. As you say this would be a good idea with cricket (if it was played in schools more).

Rugby seems to do that effectivel it seems. My sons school is strong on promoting rugby and they have strong teams that do well nationally as far as I'm aware, but I also know that the school has a close affiliation with the local club and the school feeds new players into the club where possible. As you say this would be a good idea with cricket (if it was played in schools more).

I know the college and high school I went to actually put more effort into Cricket than Rugby, yet there were no local cricket teams trying to tap into this. We had everything for cricket training and teachers willing to put time and effort.

Your right that Rugby do it well, it would be interesting to note how much cricket is in other schools. Suppose it depends on the teachers really.

None of the schools I went through even played cricket. Part of the problem is that you can't play cricket until later in the year.... around noweven.... and that leaves only what, 1 term? half a term? of teaching left to do it in?

I know its a bit off the original topic, but seeing at it has moved to schools cricket I would just like to put the counter argument - there is still plenty of cricket in schools, particularly considering disadvantage cricket has with the limited overlap of seasons and term times. The 'Chance to Shine' programme is very well established and locally they do loads in primary schools and Norfolk have now started to roll this out into high schools, I am starting a girls only after school club this week under the scheme (there was already a coach going in doing boys/mixed cricket but Norfolk are running a special project to try and encourage more girls to take up the sport). In our local junior leagues the are some clubs with excellent schools links and others who do nothing in the same way that some schools will really promote cricket whilst others, irrespective of size, will not.​

I play indoor cricket over here in Australia during the winter and I also play once a week during summer. The indoor cricket you guys play seems to be a lot different from the version we play though.

I play indoor cricket over here in Australia during the winter and I also play once a week during summer. The indoor cricket you guys play seems to be a lot different from the version we play though.

Yeah, we play the original version that is as close to real cricket as possible - it is generally played by proper club cricketers after all. Its great fun in the winter.

I see the Aussies prefer a version with a softball and a smaller pitch and simplified rules - is that just for indoors or do you also use a softball and short pitch when you play outdoors?

TBH given your climate I'm not sure of the need for indoor cricket anyway?

SLA said:
Yeah, we play the original version that is as close to real cricket as possible - it is generally played by proper club cricketers after all. Its great fun in the winter.

Indoor cricket as it is known today came into being in Western Australia in the late 1970's. Dennis Lillee actually played a role in getting cricket into netted indoor arenas, this was due to the hype of World Series Cricket at the time, higher than usual rainfall and a desire to get cricket into schools. Eventually a couple of entrepreneurs took the game to the 8-a-side version of indoor cricket which is played globally and has its own World Cup etc.

SLA said:
I see the Aussies prefer a version with a softball and a smaller pitch and simplified rules - is that just for indoors or do you also use a softball and short pitch when you play outdoors?

TBH given your climate I'm not sure of the need for indoor cricket anyway?

The ball isn't soft as such but it is slightly softer than a standard outdoor cricket ball, I actually got hit in the cheek (and have a black eye to go with it) at Monday Night fielding in close and trust me the ball isn't soft! The pitch is about the same length as a conventional cricket pitch but the similarities end there. No, we play outdoor cricket with all the normal equipment, no soft balls used in outdoor unless you are playing Under 9's cricket.

Indoor cricket is a pretty popular game here, the climate is pretty good for most of the year and there are a number of adults who prefer to play indoor cricket rather than outdoor, outdoor takes a fair bit of commitment and since an indoor game goes for about 60-70 minutes it's a far more convenient option. We have a winter T20 competition here in Perth but I'd much rather play indoor cricket during winter. I think Melbourne has its own winter T20 competition as well.

I've posted a few links below, the YouTube video is the 2011 World Cup between Australia and South Africa. I've also included the indoor cricket Wikipedia link to help you get a better understanding of the version we play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_cricket

Indoor cricket as it is known today came into being in Western Australia in the late 1970's. Dennis Lillee actually played a role in getting cricket into netted indoor arenas, this was due to the hype of World Series Cricket at the time, higher than usual rainfall and a desire to get cricket into schools. Eventually a couple of entrepreneurs took the game to the 8-a-side version of indoor cricket which is played globally and has its own World Cup etc.

The ball isn't soft as such but it is slightly softer than a standard outdoor cricket ball, I actually got hit in the cheek (and have a black eye to go with it) at Monday Night fielding in close and trust me the ball isn't soft! The pitch is about the same length as a conventional cricket pitch but the similarities end there. No, we play outdoor cricket with all the normal equipment, no soft balls used in outdoor unless you are playing Under 9's cricket.

Indoor cricket is a pretty popular game here, the climate is pretty good for most of the year and there are a number of adults who prefer to play indoor cricket rather than outdoor, outdoor takes a fair bit of commitment and since an indoor game goes for about 60-70 minutes it's a far more convenient option. We have a winter T20 competition here in Perth but I'd much rather play indoor cricket during winter. I think Melbourne has its own winter T20 competition as well.

I've posted a few links below, the YouTube video is the 2011 World Cup between Australia and South Africa. I've also included the indoor cricket Wikipedia link to help you get a better understanding of the version we play.

I see so its basically pairs cricket. We do that up to U11s then U12s onwards they play proper cricket. Bless them for having a "world cup", I used to do that at school with my friends too.

Interesting you say its run by enterpreneurs? So basically its a commercial operation rather than a non-commercial grass roots sport like indoor cricket in this country.

Just out of interest, normal indoor cricket has been around since the 60s. Shame they didn'y copyright the name really then there wouldn't be this confusion.

I see so its basically pairs cricket. We do that up to U11s then U12s onwards they play proper cricket. Bless them for having a "world cup", I used to do that at school with my friends too.

Ah no, this is actually proper indoor cricket, the version you play is outdoor cricket indoors which isn't true indoor cricket. I do understand why you guys prefer that version though since the weather over there isn't very good.

SLA said:
Interesting you say its run by enterpreneurs? So basically its a commercial operation rather than a non-commercial grass roots sport like indoor cricket in this country.

Just out of interest, normal indoor cricket has been around since the 60s. Shame they didn'y copyright the name really then there wouldn't be this confusion.[/quote]

No, it isn't run by entrepreneurs. Indoor cricket as it is today was invented by two entrepreneurs in the very early 1980's and the concept spread quickly and has been popular ever since over here. There are hundreds of centres over Australia (all privately owned) and the sport is supported by each individual state cricket association and also by Cricket Australia. Indoor cricket is also popular in New Zealand and South Africa and also India and Sri Lanka. England also participate as well.

Well, I have to say that the Indoor cricket competitions that I have put my team into for the last ten or so years have followed the rules according to Ljp86, although the earlier ones were six aside.

On the other point, I would not worry too much about cricket in Cambridge. Anybody new to the Cambridge, or indeed South Cambridgeshire, will be in no doubt where they can play... no matter at what age. Quite the contrary, sometimes it is hard to say no! You cannot even walk through the City without having to dodge hard balls on the public greens and village cricket is live and kicking. I do not know any Club that advertises, except to announce registration day, but even if you have the remotest interest, you will know where to go.

As for schools, I used to coach in the Cambridgeshire state [infant/primary] schools, all year round, from 2003 before the Chance to Shine initiative came in [the private schools have professionals] and we had no trouble finding nearby schools to play against. Since C2S it is even stronger.

I know its a bit off the original topic, but seeing at it has moved to schools cricket I would just like to put the counter argument - there is still plenty of cricket in schools, particularly considering disadvantage cricket has with the limited overlap of seasons and term times. The 'Chance to Shine' programme is very well established and locally they do loads in primary schools and Norfolk have now started to roll this out into high schools, I am starting a girls only after school club this week under the scheme (there was already a coach going in doing boys/mixed cricket but Norfolk are running a special project to try and encourage more girls to take up the sport). In our local junior leagues the are some clubs with excellent schools links and others who do nothing in the same way that some schools will really promote cricket whilst others, irrespective of size, will not.​

To me its not about the schools playing cricket, which the schools I went to did.. and even had summer break training during the school holidays. Its about getting the kids to move from playing at school into teams outside of the school set up, this is where I have the issue. Rugby/football...even tennis and squash at my school as a kid had setups with local clubs...I remember we even had a golf club come to see us about joining....but not a cricket club to be seen.

I know you have mentioned the excellent links up Norfolk way, but do you think this is a government impact or just teachers having a vested interest and being involved?

Ah no, this is actually proper indoor cricket, the version you play is outdoor cricket indoors which isn't true indoor cricket.

Given that "outdoor cricket" is normally just called "cricket", then what have just said is that our version is "cricket indoors" ie indoor cricket.

Your version is to cricket what badminton is to tennis.

I've had a look at this before and wasn't that enamoured with it, but having said that given the chance to play it, I wouldn't turn the opportunity down! I had a look at the link and there were some details relating to the wicket dimensions. I've always seen this in spaces that look like adapted basket ball courts and was wondering if the space the game is played in is always pretty uniform in size as it does seem to be and it's always very small. Here in the UK, our version as SLA has said mirrors many elements of T20 I suppose in that it's played over a short format, but our games are played in sports halls with hard walls as opposed to netted sides and there are rules regarding runs made hitting walls and catches taken off of walls. It was interesting to see the massive stadiums where full scale cricket games can be played indoors with 65 yard boundaries and the likes.

This is what ours looks like...

Given that "outdoor cricket" is normally just called "cricket", then what have just said is that our version is "cricket indoors" ie indoor cricket.

Your version is to cricket what badminton is to tennis.

Unfortunately, most of the cricketing world disagrees with you entirely.

I've had a look at this before and wasn't that enamoured with it, but having said that given the chance to play it, I wouldn't turn the opportunity down! I had a look at the link and there were some details relating to the wicket dimensions. I've always seen this in spaces that look like adapted basket ball courts and was wondering if the space the game is played in is always pretty uniform in size as it does seem to be and it's always very small. Here in the UK, our version as SLA has said mirrors many elements of T20 I suppose in that it's played over a short format, but our games are played in sports halls with hard walls as opposed to netted sides and there are rules regarding runs made hitting walls and catches taken off of walls. It was interesting to see the massive stadiums where full scale cricket games can be played indoors with 65 yard boundaries and the likes.

This is what ours looks like...

It's a fun sport to play, very involved, everyone gets a go and it only goes for around 60-70 minutes. It's quite popular over here and as I said previously is also quite popular in several other countries. The dimensions are generally the same although some courts may differ from others by a few centimetres or so but their is an international standard size that is used globally.

Most importantly it's a game that everyone can play. Not everyone has the opportunity to play outdoor cricket for varying reasons, whether that be time constraints, money etc so indoor cricket is a game where all people can come along and join in the fun. Whilst it might not be the real thing, it's a good alternative for those guys who aren't able to play the outdoor version and it's a commitment that most people can keep every week for a game that goes for about an hour.

I would highly recommend the game to those interested in trying something different. Not everyone will like it but it is certainly good fun from my point of view.

Back