Laws and rules questions

someblokecalleddave

Laws and rules questions

Byes and Leg Byes

Do the batting team only get the points/runs if

1. The ball runs off and crosses the boundary line?
2. The batsmen run between the stumps?

Therefore what's the situation when the non striking batsman sees that the wicket keeper has missed the ball having glanced off the striking batsman and he shouts run and they run between the stumps and the ball also crosses the boundary? Does that count as 5 extras or 4 extras (Leg Byes) and one run to the batsman on strike?

Re: Laws and rules questions

It'll just be four runs in the leg byes column.

The only time extra runs are added are to no-balls and wides. For example, a wide is called, the keeper misses it and the batsman run a single, it would go down as 2 wides (1 for the wide and 1 for the run).

No balls are the same, except for when the batsman hits the ball, as whatever is run will go to his score, but both that and the run for the no-ball will be added to the bowlers tally.

Now I'm confused! But the batsmen run on byes and leg byes - so where do the scores go in this incidence - do they go on the batsmans tally or in the xtras boxes in the score book?

Any runs scored off leg byes/bye will go in the appropriate extras column.

Have a look at the attached example score card. It shows leg byes and byes with a triangle, the dots within the triangle denote how many runs were scored. If you add up the score of each batter, you'll notice that even though the byes/leg byes are noted next to their name, they're not added to their score.

I've attached the bowling analysis, so you can see how it's recorded in the bowler's section.

scoresheet1.png

scoresheet2.jpg

someblokecalleddave;29890 said:
Now I'm confused! But the batsmen run on byes and leg byes - so where do the scores go in this incidence - do they go on the batsmans tally or in the xtras boxes in the score book?

They do run, but you can't credit someone with a run unless they hit the ball with the bat.

Mas is right, byes and leg-byes are fielding extras - so are only supposedly a black mark against the field. So you can't give the batmsan credit for it, and you can't penalise the bowler for it.

Back