Laying a mat

edladd

Laying a mat

I suppose an artificial pitch falls vaguely under the heading of "Equipment"? Though if one of the mods can think of somewhere more appropriate please feel free to move.

So, does anyone know what is the best way to lay a mat? We got a lad in to do ours at the start of last season and he basically just nailed it to the ground (with a bit of sand under it)! It played OK for a while but it's crap now. Any suggestions about how we go about fixing this?

Re: Laying a mat

Really you need a proper base. Most choose concrete, then glue the mat down on top. Some places advise that a backing is placed between the concrete and the mat.

i'd be interested to see if any one knows how this is done (in the UK) as we have found an old concrete base for nets behind our ground which has not been used for years and needs a new mat?

If you have a concrete base then its as simple as getting the matting and laying it on top.

Contact adhesive is normally used to keep it stuck down - at least that's how it's been done the last few times I've seen it.

Some more info here - cricket matting

we've got a concrete net with matting on top at our club and any bowler is like steve harmison on it it's so bouncy. Problem is, you go out and play on the net on the pitch in the match and its the opposite...can catch you out

cheers lads. We're going to put down a concrete base for our outdoor nets (whenever we get around to it), probably can't use concrete for an artificial surface in the middle of a pitch though?

No, for a wicket on the pitch you'll need to use a combination of hard core and sand I think.

You dig a trench (what ever size you need), then some companies advise to you to line it, some don't. If you do line it, you'll need some type of geo-textile. Then line that with sand, a layer of hardcore, then a final layer of compacted sand.

You may then use another geo-textile or lay the pitch directly on the sand. It does vary from place to place, company from company but at the very least you'll need to lay it on a layer of compacted sand.

i remember playing on the astro at school for hockey, and it had more sand in it than southend beach!

Back