LBW

edladd

LBW

This probably isn't the right place to ask this but...

In club games round here it's common for the batting team to provide the umpires during their innings, which can cause some hassle you can imagine!!
One of the biggest bones of contention comes from guys giving their teammates out LBW - there's almost always a little bit of bad feeling around it - especially in the lower teams as not everyone really understands the rule so they don't understand why they were given out. Or sometimes there is a genuinely bad decision as the umpire is under pressure and doesn't think it through before raising the finger.
In order to try and help this out I'm after making a little checklist - but considering I've little experience it would be great if some of you guys could look it over and tell me if there's something I'm missing or if you'd look through the points in a different order:

Thanks
Ed

{incidentally, if anyone knows how to resize an image using the

Re: LBW

Your checklist seems complete to me.

You can change the size of the image using the height and width attributes along with the tag.
For example: [img height=x width=y]

looks pretty good to me. have to say that we have the same problem but in that the other team never gives their players out, unless it it stupidly plumb and even that you get the the old 'going down leg, mate' half the time.

swghayward79 said:
have to say that we have the same problem but in that the other team never gives their players out, unless it it stupidly plumb and even that you get the the old 'going down leg, mate' half the time.

I know what you mean - same as. We've started a 4th team this year which will probably be all new guys - potentially a bit of a nightmare umpire-wise. I'm hoping the checklist will at least make people realise how many things have to happen for an lbw, so they'll think about it a bit more.

Thanks for the tip AB, I'll try it tomorrow, although the attachment thing seems ok.

Providing your own umpires can be a nightmare! Nobody wants to do it, people never relieve the guys out there, even if their stint has finished and generally it's a pain.

Check list looks good but I think you should be able to simplify it a bit.

nah i dont think it could be made any simpler. lbw is a pretty complex rule. i think that this check list makes it simple enough.

JonAd said:
I meant that the checklist could be made simpler in that it's easier to read.
Agreed, this one's a bit messy. I'll tidy it up a bit before bringing it down to the club.
Thanks guys.

Law 36 (Leg before wicket)
1. Out LBW
The striker is out LBW in the circumstances set out below.
(a)The bowler delivers a ball, not being a No ball

and (b) the ball, if it is not intercepted full pitch, pitches in line between wicket and wicket or on the off side of the striker's wicket

and (c) the ball not having previously touched his bat, the striker intercepts the ball, either full pitch or after pitching, with any part of his person

and (d) the point of impact, even if above the level of the bails
either (i) is between wicket and wicket
or (ii) is either between wicket and wicket or outside the line of the off stump, if the striker has made no genuine attempt to play the ball with his bat

and (e) but for the interception, the ball would have hit the wicket.

Back