Lbw

carn tigez

Lbw

I open the batting but seem to always have LBW shouts/dismissals against me every game. I always play a shot off middle stump where I flick it through mid wicket and I know this is why I keep getting LBW, but I can't help it.

I take guard on leg stump, take a half step across with my back foot as the bowler bowls and this puts me in a position where anything from middle stump across is on my pads. What can I do to stop this?

Re: Lbw

carn tigez;268152 said:
I open the batting but seem to always have LBW shouts/dismissals against me every game. I always play a shot off middle stump where I flick it through mid wicket and I know this is why I keep getting LBW, but I can't help it.

I take guard on leg stump, take a half step across with my back foot as the bowler bowls and this puts me in a position where anything from middle stump across is on my pads. What can I do to stop this?

carn tigez;268156 said:
Thanks for that, I'm pretty confident my bat has had a better work out than yours :):p

I'm not the one that is asking how to use mine am I? ;):p

wrong 'un;268165 said:
I'm not the one that is asking how to use mine am I? ;):p

True, but it's not overly helpful ;)

I bat on leg and don't go across so I've never been out LBW (bowled and caught plenty of times though ;) ).
Is the flick off the pads through midwicket a fruitful shot for you? Do you think you need to improve how you play it, or would it be more beneficial to replace it with a safer shot?

Obviously, if the shot is instinct it's going to be hard to change how you play it. Maybe you need to try and be more selective about the balls you play it on? What do you think yourself?

Well I score a few runs off it but I reckon I would be better off only playing it off leg stump. But I have no idea what I can do to stop without taking guard 10m outside leg

Your situation sounds a bit like me so I will have a crack at giving you some advice carn

First off as you are opening the batting you are surely aware that you are facing the new ball that will move around in the air and off the pitch a lot more then if you were batting lower down the order. This restricts your shot selection, well should. I would say that early on in your innings before you have got your eye in and fully comfortable only hit the ball in the V. Playing all balls that are on middle or middle and leg straight down the pitch/or to mid on will reduce your chance of being struck in the pads.

Another problem could be your balance. This was my problem. What is your head position like? is it directily over your shoulder when you are waiting for the ball to be released or is it to one side? Obviously I can't tell with out pictures but basicly if your head is not striaght and centred then it will overbalance your whole body when you are batting and you mis judge the postion of deliveries

Hope that helps a little

Without seeing you batting I can only hazard a guess that your initial foot movement is causing you the problems. It sounds like it's taking you off balance and moving the head position.

Just make sure that you are focussing on the ball and making sure that you hit it correctly. You might have to practice this at home by getting your brother/sister to throw the ball at your pads.

Its always hard to tell exactly what may be the issue without seeing it but at a guess i would suggest it may be the following as i had a similiar issue a few years back .

1) as previously mentioned balance and this could have to do with your trigger movement . If you go back and across but your head isn't still you will fall across to the offside making you a sitting duck for LBW early . Make sure your head is still eyes nice and level and tuck your into front shoulder . This should help a little .
2) also mentioned before , play the 'v' . Force yourself to play straight , its amazing how the pace of the ball and timing will work the ball to the onside anyway even with a nice stright bat . Really show the makers name back to the bowler . You will get as many runs and it cuts down the risk .

Anyway good luck with it , it is always a challenge making technique changes and does take some hard work .

Back