Leaning Towards The Off-side

Since the end of the season I've started working on my batting. Before that it was just a case of using hand-eye coordination and natural ball skills to hit the ball anywhere, and then focus on my bowling. But now that I've started I'm beginning to enjoy batting more!
The query that I have is this - how do I stop myself from leaning towards the off-side when I'm playing a shot? I have developed my off-side game massively but in doing so, I've started to lean over as the bowler bowls, which hinders me when any ball is bowled full on the leg stump or even wider.

Any help would be appreciated,
Tom

Since the end of the season I've started working on my batting. Before that it was just a case of using hand-eye coordination and natural ball skills to hit the ball anywhere, and then focus on my bowling. But now that I've started I'm beginning to enjoy batting more!
The query that I have is this - how do I stop myself from leaning towards the off-side when I'm playing a shot? I have developed my off-side game massively but in doing so, I've started to lean over as the bowler bowls, which hinders me when any ball is bowled full on the leg stump or even wider.

Any help would be appreciated,
Tom

Well, the obvious answer is stop leaning and get your ready position correct. Stand up straight with your eyes level and your weight slightly on your front foot, which you may find it helps if you twist to 45 degrees rather than keep side-on. You will still have plenty of time to move into line once you have seen the line of the ball.

Everything starts from the ready position. If your ready position is wrong then you will struggle to address the ball correctly, and that will lead to consistently poor contact.

Another point that I've just considered is that you may be unrealistic about the range of deliveries it is possible for you to get in line with. It may well be that the only way you are able to get into line with deliveries a foot outside offstump is to start to lean before the bowler has released the ball as you are doing. In focusing on getting into line with these deliveries, you are compromising your ability to play the ball on leg stump. I would suggest that this is the wrong priority - you are better off making sure you can consistently hit balls on leg stump and either leave the balls wide of offstump or accept the fact that you will have to play them away from your body (eg cut or slash shot).

In summary: twist your front foot to 45 degrees, keep your head still and don't allow yourself to lean and prioritise getting into line with balls on the stumps, this may or may not compromise you ability to play balls wide outside off stump, but either way its the high % choice.

I've heard a lot about this problem. I sometimes do it unconciously. I try to concentrate on my hips being over my feet when i do it ! :)

Back