left arm bowlers

marco93

left arm bowlers

I am a right handed batsman and I always have trouble facing left arm pace bowlers. I was just wondering if anyone has any pointers on how to face them with more confidence. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Re: left arm bowlers

Practice with more confidence.
Techincal part can be taken care if u approach with more confidence.
Treat the left armer like any fast bowler where u observe the seam position and watch the ball carefully for playing ur shots.
Practice will overcome ur concern.

i used to hate them unitll i workd out what my problem with them was!

its all about angles with me and Lefties becuase they bowl across me, so i changed my stance to them, unless they can swing it then i'm screwed!

Open your stance like you would with any other bowler coming around the wicket.. but make sure that you be aware of the one that swings back in.. play close to your pad and WATCH THE BALL

i used to get bowled by Lefties all the time through the gate! it really was a mental problem for a while!

Agreed Trumper.
I had porblems facing left armer's and had to make adjustments like a open stance.
It did helped by having two left arm fast bowlers in the team for net practice as that helped a lot.
One guy was very fast and the other one was swing bowler so a variety in both the left arm fast bowlers.
If we have left arm fast bowlers in the team it is good as it is diffcult for majorty of time's to get right arm fast bowlers to bowl around the stump for our practice.

thanks for the tips guys.
but there is one leftie in my comp that always gets me out. do you think it could be a phsychological thing. he pushes the ball across me and it swings back in he gets me every time.

If you really have no idea what to do then just propping forward and covering your stumps, making sure you grip the bat with soft hands, would probably do. He can't get you lbw unless he really swings it as well as getting it on the spot while the soft hands should eliminate slip catches to some extent. It's not something I'd recommend but if you have no other method this would fill the gap while you try and find a more conventional one.

Jelly Beanz;29376 said:
He can't get you lbw unless he really swings it as well as getting it on the spot while the soft hands should eliminate slip catches to some extent. .

You sure Jelly? lol

marco93;29368 said:
thanks for the tips guys.
but there is one leftie in my comp that always gets me out. do you think it could be a phsychological thing. he pushes the ball across me and it swings back in he gets me every time.

If u are getting out then it becomes phsycological thing and u will get uneasy facing him.
But u have to build enough confidence within yourself to face him otherwise u will have problems facing left arm fast in matches as well.
Techincally ur batting needs to be seen when facing the left arm fast.
Can u post a video?

Sorry I can't post a video I don't know any left arm quickies except for him. I dont even know any left arm pace bowlers.

Just get people to bowl around the wicket to you and film that. It's not ideal but it would help us get an idea of your stance and where you bat goes.

open stance just a tad, if you can bat a bit out of your crease to take out the LBW, watch it from the hand, what ive noticed is that alot of left armers can bowl the in swinger, and also the one that leaves the pitch and moves away so watch the seam position and what hes doin with his wrist

Open your stance up a little , point your left foot towards mid wicket this will open you up without it being too drastic . You still want to be side on as much as possible .

If this guys gets you out often or troubles you do you study him before your bat or even when you are at the crease ?

Every Bowler has mannerisms that can give away what his going to bowl . Look at if his run changes , grip , wrist or seam position . These can all give you a clue as to what might be coming before he releases the ball .
Its a pretty safe bet that he will be more open chested when pushing the ball across you and more side on when he swings it back in . Have a close look and you may get a good clue or two

Back