Leg side shots

edladd

Leg side shots

You've probably seen this diagram before on the BBC website, but I'm a bit confused about some of the shots they're suggesting, especially on the leg side. Firstly, where does the leg glance come into it? Is it in the "Forcing shot section". And also, can you really play a sweep to any ball on that length, or only a slow one? For a quicker bowler, what shot could you play instead of the sweep to that ball?

Re: Leg side shots

For a quick, full ball, its best to play it either through midwicket or square leg in a sort of a clip method, using a straight bat. You could also glance it, but you should probably score more than one off that sort of delivery. The forcing shot area, leg side wise, is where the leg glance should be played

Jimmy's got it pretty much spot on I think. I think balls in the "sweep" area could also be leg glanced and the shorter end of "forcing shot" should maybe be off the back foot but could still be leg glanced.

by leg glance to the shorter balls, where are you trying to hit the ball - around fine leg or in the midwicket area?

I always tend to miss out on the length or short of length balls when I try to glance...

also, how exactly do you get the glance to go around midwicket? i only ever work it fine.

Tbh I usually only end up glancing off the front foot when I don't get much bat on one I'm trying to hit into midwicket. Off the back foot I aim for fine leg but I don't always get it there.

To get it to midwicket I sort of on-drive it but I flick the top-hand's wrist to push it into the legside.

Cheers lads. Leg glance for me is down to fine leg. Still having a bit of trouble playing it though, as I have a tendency to play across a leg side ball - and I'm usually way too late to hit it. I'm thinking of getting Bob Woolmers book and teaching myself to bat during the off-season :)

Back