Leg spin bowling accuracy

Pavamana K J

Hi all,

I have been practising leg spin bowling for the last two years, but I could not gain control over my bowling. I can turn the ball square, but there is no accuracy. So just to increase my accuracy, I started to stand and bowl. Can you please someone tell me what is wrong with my action? I have observed the following when I am bowling leg spin.

1. My accuracy is slightly better when I bowl without a run than with a run-up.
2. With run-up, my stride is longer, so my head falls away.
3. With run-up, I am not able to brace the front leg.
4. My goolgies will go down the leg side for RHB.
5. I am not able to release the ball from the same position consistently.

I have uploaded the video of my bowling, please give me some tips to improve my bowling.

Attachments

• Leg spin Compressed.mp4
    12.2 MB
Bowl from a shorter distance until you are happy with your line and length. Gradually increase the distance until you can do it from a full length.

Similarly, bowl from a standing start until you are consistent, then incorporate a bound, then a few steps etc.

Your action looks reasonable to me, I'm no coach.

Bowl from a shorter distance until you are happy with your line and length. Gradually increase the distance until you can do it from a full length.

Similarly, bowl from a standing start until you are consistent, then incorporate a bound, then a few steps etc.

Your action looks reasonable to me, I'm no coach.
Okay. Thanks for your suggestions

amelia kerr couldnt help bowling brilliantly against england in the dead rubber.Great leggie & great batter
im pretty sure new zealand were foxing. Its beyond belief theyd bat so badly if they were seriously trying to win.
Watch for amazing improvement in the semi against england tomorrow. I doubt england will know what hit them after new zealand smack them in the semi.
ive got money on them tomorrow and a couple dollars on them causing an upset against australia in the final. I think nz are the only team capable. On their day they can bat australia out of it

Hi all,

I have been practising leg spin bowling for the last two years, but I could not gain control over my bowling. I can turn the ball square, but there is no accuracy. So just to increase my accuracy, I started to stand and bowl. Can you please someone tell me what is wrong with my action? I have observed the following when I am bowling leg spin.

1. My accuracy is slightly better when I bowl without a run than with a run-up.
2. With run-up, my stride is longer, so my head falls away.
3. With run-up, I am not able to brace the front leg.
4. My goolgies will go down the leg side for RHB.
5. I am not able to release the ball from the same position consistently.

I have uploaded the video of my bowling, please give me some tips to improve my bowling.
I would recommend (1). Scrapping the Googlies and just focusing on your Leg-breaks. (2). Drive your knee forwards towards the stumps at FFC. (3) Work on a much shorter walk-in rather than a run-up, maybe just 2 or 3 steps and see how that works. With the release point issue, I reckon that'll come together with practice, once you've established a consistent walk-in. How often do you get to practice and do you ever practice on your own with no batter? If so get a bit of old carpet or a rubber car mat and place it where you want to land the ball - don't make it too small, the bit that I use is about 300mm x 800mm and try and land the ball on that. Also have a look at this video on practicing in general

Last edited:
I would recommend (1). Scrapping the Googlies and just focusing on your Leg-breaks. (2). Drive your knee forwards towards the stumps at FFC. (3) Work on a much shorter walk-in rather than a run-up, maybe just 2 or 3 steps and see how that works. With the release point issue, I reckon that'll come together with practice, once you've established a consistent walk-in. How often do you get to practice and do you ever practice on your own with no batter? If so get a bit of old carpet or a rubber car mat and place it where you want to land the ball - don't make it too small, the bit that I use is about 300mm x 800mm and try and land the ball on that. Also have a look at this video on practicing in general

Thank You for your reply.

I am concentrating only on leg spin, not much on googly. Now, I have started taking two or three steps before bowling. I am comfortable with that.
I usually spend around 1.5 hr for bowling alone without a batter almost daily unless there is rain. I am also doing spot bowling with cones on the good length. Sometimes, I will lose balance at the time of delivery, and then the ball will go flat and short of a length.

I did not understand your second point, "Drive your knee forwards towards the stumps at FFC". Can you please explain a little more?

Thank You for your reply.

I am concentrating only on leg spin, not much on googly. Now, I have started taking two or three steps before bowling. I am comfortable with that.
I usually spend around 1.5 hr for bowling alone without a batter almost daily unless there is rain. I am also doing spot bowling with cones on the good length. Sometimes, I will lose balance at the time of delivery, and then the ball will go flat and short of a length.

I did not understand your second point, "Drive your knee forwards towards the stumps at FFC". Can you please explain a little more?
Watch this video of MacGill and see what he says about his leg coming up and over the front foot. Not out and around the front foot then watch the footage of him running in and see how he drives the knee forwards and not out and around. (FFC Front foot contact).

Watch this video of MacGill and see what he says about his leg coming up and over the front foot. Not out and around the front foot then watch the footage of him running in and see how he drives the knee forwards and not out and around. (FFC Front foot contact).

Thank You, I will try to drive the knee forwards toward the stumps at FFC .

Back