Leg Spin Overpitching

shahidpak

hello im a 13 yrs old legspinner and when i bowl i usually overpitch the bowl because i often propel the ball too hard or too slow because it seems that to get past the 20 meters i need a lot of energy to propel it so i overpitch it. In training when i overpitch it i dont get hit because our teams batting is sh*t but it can cause me problems in future can you tell me at what distance i should pitch it from the batsman???

hello im a 13 yrs old legspinner and when i bowl i usually overpitch the bowl because i often propel the ball too hard or too slow because it seems that to get past the 20 meters i need a lot of energy to propel it so i overpitch it. In training when i overpitch it i dont get hit because our teams batting is sh*t but it can cause me problems in future can you tell me at what distance i should pitch it from the batsman???

Shane Warne always pitched the ball 8 feet from the popping crease. Your length should be slightly fuller because your younger and get less spin and speed.

I wouldn't worry too much about the future, keep playing at your level with the crap batsmen and you'll grow and get stronger as they grow and get stronger and as a wrist-spinner they'll always be crap batsman if you learn at the same rate!

Try to pitch it about 2 meters in front of the batsman . Of you want the ball to drop shorter try and put a bit more top spin on your stock leg break or try to enhance the amount of revs you put on the ball ( if this is possible ) . But like Dave said , don't bother yourselves to much. About the future , just keep doing things right and rip those leggies !

Of course the ball shouldn't just pitch on that spot, any batsman will drive / sweep that into oblivion. The ball has to loop up and drop shorter than expected. It also has to drift, constantly arcing though the air.

That's why accuracy in spin bowling is so difficult, you have a small spot on which you have to land the ball, but you have to land it there while giving it flight, dipping and drifting it, and of course the batsman will use his feet which moves the spot.

At least it is better to be on the full side rather than constant underpitching.

At your age a good length is around 7 foot in front of batsman. You can build a relatively big target area around that spot if you can spin it a bit.

You might be letting go of the ball a bit early? There is a good clip in the video thread that shows monty coaching some aussie kids your age and he points out how to stop overpitching by doing a bit more with their bowling arm before release.

At least it is better to be on the full side rather than constant underpitching.

At your age a good length is around 7 foot in front of batsman. You can build a relatively big target area around that spot if you can spin it a bit.

You might be letting go of the ball a bit early? There is a good clip in the video thread that shows monty coaching some aussie kids your age and he points out how to stop overpitching by doing a bit more with their bowling arm before release.

If your trying to do a lot with the ball you will overpitch rather than underpitch most of the time. Luckily a dipping drifting full toss is more difficult to deal with than a slightly turning long hop.

The international spinners these days irritate me so much! They don't do anything with the ball, so a full toss has virtually no chance of beating the batsman. In the days of Warne full tosses were bowled deliberately on occasion, simply because he put so many revolutions on the ball that a full toss really cramped the batsman's style. (If he bowled it well enough)

My full tosses that drift a very long way are usually edged or missed because batsmen don't track the ball all the way, if it does something unexpected in the air while it is only in their peripheral vision they can't adjust soon enough. Maybe full tosses are the next great variation?

Could you get me a link to that video cause there are so many videos in the video thread that i wont be able to find it :p

Back