Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

I've just had a rubbish practice session as well. Started off okay implementing some of the things people suggested here on simplycricket raising my leading arm up higher and being more consistent with my run-in. It's actually about 5-6 steps. Initially it went well with me bowling the other bloke out 3 times in the first 4 overs and then he got used to how I was bowling and thwarted my attack. I had him later on with a flipper that skidded in low and fast.

I tried the leg breaks and nothing doing - no turn and generally it seemed as though I was bowling far too long. I sorted that by bowling virtually alongside the stumps. The whole session just felt bad. But I suppose if I reflect on how I bowled last year I do think I've improved, my line has certainly improved and the length just needs to be more consistent. What I want more than anything is to bowl against other people and in a competitive situation and see how that works out as that'll be the real test.

I think I'm just going through a phase where I don't feel I'm bowling that well. Maybe next week?

Sean - I had a look at your Vids. It's a bit tricky to see the ball on the shots looking at the stumps, but it looked okay and it looked like you were getting the ball to turn? On leg spin 3 - that first ball turns well and looks about the right length? There's another ball later (3rd or 4th) that turns well. The only problem I can possibly imagine is your length. I think you have to remember just some days things are not going to go your way and you are going to get spanked all over the park. What you're doing looks fine to me.

The other way round it looked fine as well

There's a new bloke Jarrod who's joining in - he's got some good advice for people just starting out - Let's hear it Jarrod, what have you got to say?

I've got a feeling this is one of the most important messages to take on board as a new Leg Spin bowler and it's where I've gone wrong I reckon.

It's a bit tricky to see the ball on the shots looking at the stumps, but it looked okay and it looked like you were getting the ball to turn?

Yeah, I can get it to turn easily with an older ball, but I can't turn it during a match with a newer ball. Well, it's hard.

It's a shame more older people with experience and advice based on years of experience don't make more of a contribution on these forums. I suppose they're less inclined to sit typing on a computer and more inclined to watch the tele. Personally as you're aware I don't really watch the TV. I've noticed that you've had thousands of people sign up just since December which is impressive. Having said that it's good to see some of the blokes on here chipping in with advice. I can't remember who it was, but someone commented on my leading arm action after looking at my video clip and I've made adjustments and that seemed to caused an improvement last weekend.

I suppose I just like writing and I'm a teacher as well - that all helps and I'm obsessive! :laugh:

Hi Dave,

I saw the video clips posted on 16th of Feb'08.
Not much can be said as the shooting angle is not sufficient enough.
My advice would be to shoot the video from the Keeper's End to judge the line & length very easily.
Also the body movement w.r.t Arm angle,Toe direction & follow through can be viewed easily.

Anyone knows how to bowl the slider? According to philpott it is bowled like a topspinner but instead the thumb faces the other way so that backspin is applied. I find it difficult to bowl and end up throwing instead of bowling and it ends up on a very short length.

I also bowl leg spin with my first two fingers and thumb ie i do not use my ring finger as i lose length and line with the latter. Iverson and Gleeson had used a similar grip so I could also be a legend :laugh: :laugh:

By the way does anyone find that the flipper sometimes moves from off to leg instead of going straight on as it should?

Yeah the slider is a bit of a mystery to me as well, what I've ended up doing is gripping the ball as you would normally do with a leg break across the seam and then more or less bowling it like a seam bowler would so that it's delivered coming out of your hand spinning backwards. If the seam makes contact as it hits the ground rather than any of the smooth areas it goes a bit wayward and turns. What I find is that as I more or less bowl the ball like a seamer it's just a lot faster and I have trouble controlling the length and it ends up as either a full toss or a yorker. I'm almost certain I'm doing it wrong, so I wouldn't take a lot of notice of what I'm saying, but as a weird variation out of nowhere it sometimes works for me as a way of unsettling the batsman. I bowl it very rarely.

I bowl chinaman and would like to know some wrist strengthening exercises to get more onto the ball ???

any one got any tips??

Here's some advice if you're being psycologically damaged by your practice regime.

If like me you end up practicing with one of your mates or a few of your mates again and again, they eventually get the hang of how you bowl and you find yourself getting knocked all over the park. Potentially this can crush your enthusiasm and leaving you feeling like your spinning is a lost cause while they go home feeling like they're the worlds best batsman!

Try this next time. Every over you bowl - you set them a target, they've got to hit 10 or whatever figure you decide off your over. It might make a massive difference, because suddenly the pressure is put on them - you watch them suddenly batting in a different way and you may find even with a figure as low as 9 to reach in one over you'll end up winning the battle. Try it - it's good fun as well.

I never thought about the whole practicing with mates thing, it simply never occured to me that would get the hang of playing my bowling :embarrassed:.

Will give the above a try.

With spin bowling generally the field placings play a huge role right? Both in terms of creating pressure and having catchers where the miscued balls are going to land. What sort of fielders do you guys use for leg spin?

I'm guessing this will also be a factor in the 1:1 practice, batsman can hit the slower bowling in the air without much fear - do you find that Dave?

freddiw said:
is that like a ball that you squeeze????
I think the powerball he's talking about is the gyroscope thing - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5cM84qSj5o"]YouTube - PowerBall video[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back