Long time no see and i have a new bowling (action) video

After many changes i have decided to stabilize myself with this action.But i still struggle to be consistent.Can u help me find any mistakes i would like to thank my friend who helped me in recording this video.We could not go the ground so we filmed it in the streets
*Excuse me for the poor quality
My friends tell me that my head is not still and some tell me that my arm is not high enough while others tell that i do not follow through i developed this quick jerk-like action to get the rip and follow through i don't know whats wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V67jy0W6d9M

After many changes i have decided to stabilize myself with this action.But i still struggle to be consistent.Can u help me find any mistakes i would like to thank my friend who helped me in recording this video.We could not go the ground so we filmed it in the streets
*Excuse me for the poor quality
My friends tell me that my head is not still and some tell me that my arm is not high enough while others tell that i do not follow through i developed this quick jerk-like action to get the rip and follow through i don't know whats wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V67jy0W6d9M

More than anything else, I feel like you are holding yourself back in this action - Did you actually bowl in that street or was it just you showing your action? Anyway, it looks like we can break your action into two parts - one is the high speed wind up until the right arm goes up, the second part is the finish and it looks like the speed of arm rotation in first part is vastly different from that in second part. Are you doing that because you think you'll end up bowling too fast/flat if you go through with that action?

And it is not really useful if you hold on to the ball - because that will definitely change a few things in your action- so put up videos where you actually bowl - if need be with a tennis ball

I wont be able to check your vid out for a few days. I remember your other videos legspinismylife so it i'll be good to see how you are going.

Hey mate, I agree with shrek. It looks as though your action slows down at the crease. Maybe this is because you are not bowling a ball. I think your friend is right too about the front arm. If you got it up higher and pull down strongly with it it would get extra power through the crease and may speed up the action too.
How often do you bowl, I think consistency would come with plenty of practice.

trust me guys i have been doing practice for 4 years with no hope.
And i selected this action because i get the quick rip to dip the ball but still there are mistakes and what i have observed is in my attempt to rip the ball i pull my arm short and dont let my arm free.
i will try to put up another video with me bowling

Doh! I didn't even spot the fact that you wasn't using a ball! Yeah get a ball any ball - tennis ball will do lets see what happens! Glad to see you're sticking at it, well done!

lsiml.jpg

Here's a still from your bowling. If you consider that this is probably a view looking down the line of the stumps, you'll see that your back leg starts out a long way out of alignment with the direction that you need to be lining your body up with. At this point from the direction your feet are in, it looks like you should be bowling into an area near square leg. Your back foot is going to have to come all the way round your pivot foot a lot further than 180 degrees.
lsiml2.jpg

So, now you're half way through the action, the foots on its way round the pivot foot, but your body has gone from vertical and is now falling over, so your head has moved massively.
lspiml2.jpg

In this shot your heads still moving away from the line of flight and you can see that the foot that has swung right round is about to be planted and will have the two feet line up to be pointed towards cover/point. So your rotation is massively over done. It needs to 180 degrees with the feet, hips and shoulders point down at the stumps all lined up and then you rotate 180 degree through your action. Have a look at the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aFfcV1Ha-M try this, you'll make massive improvements. Look at his stance - both feet are aligned with the stumps, along with his hips and shoulders, then when rotates it is perfectly 180 degree and ends up still lined up with the stumps.

Try these drills they might help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlODjL3Tin4 look at my youtube channel and see the same drills from the side. Overall though, your action has improved a great deal and you've got physically bigger as you've got older and that'll no doubt help in the months to come.

Is it a good idea to do a 'one step' drill where there is no run up involved? High front arm, explosive arm action and a strong follow through. Something to work on?

Nice to see you back on here LSIML, I remember you getting very frustrated in the past so it's great to see you've persevered.

The way you seem to run up energetically and almost stop during your delivery stride reminds me of a problem I was having last year - I suggest you experiment with the length of stride at delivery, making it significantly shorter and seeing how that feels.I found with a shorter stride it didn't feel encouraging at first in that it was as if I'd fallen off a cliff just after delivery, but the end result is a more consistent delivery. I suppose it doesn't matter if you're unstable once the ball has left your hand! Anyway, try it out and see what you think.

As for the angle of your arm the consensus seems to be that for leg-spinners there's a pretty wide range within which it's simply down to personal preference - between about 10 o'clock and 11:45. Outside this range it's still possible to be a great bowler, but it's much harder. The trade-off seems to be that a higher arm is inherently more accurate while a lower arm generates more spin.

The more general point I'd make is that while you should listen to and consider what others say, you should be slow to change you action until you're clear that a particular aspect of your action is causing an identifiable problem. If I changed my action every time one of my club-mates said I should change something I'd chop and change so much that I couldn't make any overall progress because the goalposts would keep moving all the time.

Is it a good idea to do a 'one step' drill where there is no run up involved? High front arm, explosive arm action and a strong follow through. Something to work on?

Definitely, all the evidence that I've seen over the last 4 years with regards learning how to bowl Wrist Spin points to this being 'The missing link'. This is the thing that under-pins almost everything you do, I reckon that if you were to ever be coached by anyone with any knowledge of the subject this would be the very basis of everything else you have to learn. Until someone tells me otherwise and I can varify their credentials, I'm sticking with the premise that this drill is the key thing that you need to work with. Get this right and the rest (As long as you're rolling your hand over the ball and giving it a flick) will fall into place.

Spider Lounge, I don't think LSIML has signed in since October, try contacting him via youtube and see if you can ressurect his interest?

Im more a fan of a two step exercise. Where you step onto your left,then onto the back foot then powering through from there.(Three steps I guess) My theory is that it more resembles a bowling action whilst still being able to concentrate the important parts of the action. It gives a bit more natural momentum to the crease as well. I see the benefit of the stand start as getting the power into the action but I wouldnt concentrate on it solely but have it as part of your training because my fear is if you get good at it then you have to incorporate the run up the two might not mesh together.

Absolutely! I'd say that if you're starting out and you're figuring the fundamentals out, the stand start drill is your first port of call and the same too, if your bowling falls to pieces once you get going and you lose your way. Always go back to the stand start - work on that, maybe just for minutes in the case of you've lost your way temporarily, as soon as you've got your Mojo back, you then go to the one step, the two step and so on. Maybe its the case (I may be the same) that if you've got the basics working okay, you don't always have to go right back to the stand-start and just going back to a more simplified '2 step' simplification irons out the creases just as well?

Absolutely! I'd say that if you're starting out and you're figuring the fundamentals out, the stand start drill is your first port of call and the same too, if your bowling falls to pieces once you get going and you lose your way. Always go back to the stand start - work on that, maybe just for minutes in the case of you've lost your way temporarily, as soon as you've got your Mojo back, you then go to the one step, the two step and so on. Maybe its the case (I may be the same) that if you've got the basics working okay, you don't always have to go right back to the stand-start and just going back to a more simplified '2 step' simplification irons out the creases just as well?

Thanks Dave Im pretty happy with your response. I was a bit reluctant to go against your advice but I see I wasnt really going against your advice at all. I was just worried that without the run up the stand start exercise could lead to a dead end. The stand start is a great exercise to begin with or to go back to. I was just a bit worried that like the wrong un if you just concentrated on it you could only bowl the wrong un . Same with the stand start, if you were bowling great with stand start that may be good but then once you tried to incorporate the run up you may be all at sea and it may be 6 months before you can combine the two.

the stand start drill (i also use the 2 step drill like you chippyben) doesnt really have that effect though. you can go back to it at any time, and still tag the run up back on with relative ease. at least thats what i find. it just gets you focussing on getting everything working in a synchronised way, which is hard to do when youre running in, which forces you to rush through the action and any flaws in timing then get highlighted.

i do find though that it takes probably 20 balls bowled from the "stand start" before you are ready to try 2 or 3 balls with a run up. then back again, and just keep repeating it until the run up just clicks into place. if you bowl too many balls with a run up and let the action slip again (which can happen within 5 or 6 deliveries if you are lacking rhythm, and probably are if youre going back to basics!), then youre back to square one and have to build it up all over again. likewise, from practice session to practice session you can completely lose everything you did the session before. it takes weeks/months to properly "memorise" the action.

that only really applies when you are making big changes to the action though or coming back from the winter break or whatever. once you find some rhythm there isnt really a need to use the stand start drill unless your action falls to pieces mid season. its always useful though.

Back